pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

I am sorry to tell you this ... but your CPU can't handle it, AMD is worst CPU for gaming.

And thats absolutly a load of bull.... Yes AMD will not run as nicely as aIntel chip but AMD is still good enough to properly play arma. I have a FX8350 8*4.0Ghz myself and i can play tanoa very wel, there is some micro stutter through scope's but thats it....

So it doesn't matter if you have a AMD core just make sure you optimize it properly yourself (don't trust presets for that tinker with it yourself to find your own sweetspot)

Just tested and my 4690k @ 4.4 also plummets when looking at jungle trees thru sniper scope from 55-60 to 35-30

I love the map in many ways, been exploring it last night for quite some time.

However, one thing that needs to change imho, is the buildings which cannot be entered.

I read somewhere it's because of the performance. So I wonder, is that only the door-script that is hard on the performance ?

If so, just leave all doors open and make them not closable.

That's better than not being able to get into the buildings.

The reason why it safes performance is because there is no inside of the building. this means that if you go through it with a camyou will find nothing inside.

If all these buildings had interiors those interiors would have to be rendered and so decrease performance espacially if you have like a office tower with 20 stories...

I think that if all of those buildings would have an interior the fps on the iland would drop massivly inside towns

I love the map in many ways, been exploring it last night for quite some time.

However, one thing that needs to change imho, is the buildings which cannot be entered.

I read somewhere it's because of the performance. So I wonder, is that only the door-script that is hard on the performance ?

If so, just leave all doors open and make them not closable.

That's better than not being able to get into the buildings.

these buildings have no interiors modeled. it has nothing to do with door anims but with draw calls

"I read somewhere it's because of the performance. So I wonder, is that only the door-script that is hard on the performance ?"

If only! But no.. :-)

Buildings with interiors are graphically much more complex: they cost more time to create and can impact performance ingame.

Devs have explained early on that there would be less interiors, so I have accepted it already, although it is a shame. I remember thinking in OFP that in the next installment probably all the buildings would be (partially) enterable. Fast forward 15 years.. nope. :-)

The southern airport's runway (saint george?) is not entirely level. Was this intentional?

The southern airport's runway (saint george?) is not entirely level. Was this intentional?

Hopefully, quite a lot of runways in real life are very not level. I always thought that runways in ArmA were too perfectly flat. For example Birmingham in the UK:

hqdefault.jpg

thanks guys, for explaining the performance thing with the buildings.

Still, it doesn't make me happy that one cannot enter them.

Just tested and my 4690k @ 4.4 also plummets when looking at jungle trees thru sniper scope from 55-60 to 35-30

Now I was curious. There is a problem...

Intel CoreI7-2600k,GTX970. AMS scope. Vanilla ArmA.

- I have capped 60 FPS.

- Looking through scope to jungle trees: still 60 FPS

- Zooming when looking thru scope: drop to ~35 FPS. With ATOC/Trees ~20 FPS

I am sorry to tell you this ... but your CPU can't handle it, AMD is worst CPU for gaming.

- disable the new water reflections

- set viewdistance not over 1600

- set terrain and object both to high

- set textures to high or very high

- disable PIP

- disable ATOC

- set AA not over 4x, if still scope lag set it to 2x AA

- do not run Arma3 on Windows 10

This issue is related to Tanoa tropical trees, especially to LOD handling, leaf and etc, not primarily to my PC.

What are your graphics settings? I have a small drop in my end but nothing like you. There was a similar issue in Arma 2.

http://imgur.com/a/rw1ft

I think problem primarily related to ATOC and FSAA

Methinks all these players begging for everything to be enterable would be the first on the forums demanding ( in pretty rough language) better performance from BI when it plummets with the introduction of a town full of such buildings.

Does no one remember the huge fps drop we experienced in the cities of Altis?

My opinion is BI did a nice blend of those we could go in and crawl around and those we couldn't. The details and quality of Tonoa is the best we've seen so far and I'm sure will only improve as its tweaked not just in Dev Mode but for years down the road.

• Like 2

Now I was curious. There is a problem...

Intel CoreI7-2600k,GTX970. AMS scope. Vanilla ArmA.

- I have capped 60 FPS.

- Looking through scope to jungle trees: still 60 FPS

- Zooming when looking thru scope: drop to ~35 FPS. With ATOC/Trees ~20 FPS

That's now an Tanoa issue, it has always been this way, it's just more noticeable on Tanoa because of the amount of foliage.

I actually had hope for an improved ATOC technology, though I am not sure if there's even a way to improve it.

is there any inland fresh water? and bamboo?......ponds etc or do we have a bone dry jungle?

The reason why it safes performance is because there is no inside of the building. this means that if you go through it with a camyou will find nothing inside.

If all these buildings had interiors those interiors would have to be rendered and so decrease performance espacially if you have like a office tower with 20 stories...

I think that if all of those buildings would have an interior the fps on the iland would drop massivly inside towns

That is not a valid excuse anymore:  https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Geometric_Occluders

The reason we don't have more interiors is that BIS doesn't have the staff and resources and time to make all the buildings interiors with the quality they should have.  So instead of having empty buildings we can fight inside of we have very pretty boxes we can fight around. :)

• Like 4

And thats absolutly a load of bull.... Yes AMD will not run as nicely as aIntel chip but AMD is still good enough to properly play arma. I have a FX8350 8*4.0Ghz myself and i can play tanoa very wel, there is some micro stutter through scope's but thats it....

So it doesn't matter if you have a AMD core just make sure you optimize it properly yourself (don't trust presets for that tinker with it yourself to find your own sweetspot)

Nothing to do with AMD CPUs

I sport a core i5 2500K oced to 4.9 Ghz (this shit is fast) and the same problem occurs when aiming with a scope in the jungle, heavy performance hit. "It is a bug"

That is not a valid excuse anymore:  https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Geometric_Occluders

The reason we don't have more interiors is that BIS doesn't have the staff and resources and time to make all the buildings interiors with the quality they should have.  So instead of having empty buildings we can fight inside of we have very pretty boxes we can fight around. :)

I'm not sure if it would ever happen but maybe releasing the buildings to certain modders or to the community as a whole to allow them to add interiors. Or have a new MANW style competition (prizes don't need to be as big) and allow community and devs to vote for best interiors. 

Regarding the Tanoa:

1. It's the most beautiful island I have ever seen in the game.

2. I know its not SimCity but would love to see following things around the island: 

• small hospital with poss helipad (on its roof maybe?) 
  • fire brigade station
  • Police stations in major towns or at least one Police HQ 
  • governor / mayor office in the largest town
  • static gas/oil tanker as well as container ship in a port***
  • taxiways signs on concrete airports***
  • driveable or at least moveable trains***

*** they don't have to be a part of the terrain

• Like 3

There a huge FPS drop when aiming through sniper scope at Tanoa jungle trees

Reminds me of this issue back in the day:

Tanoa trees are so detailed so that happens with sniper scopes. Not surprised to see that, I was actually expecting that happening.

Disabling AtoC should help a lot but there's still fps drop without it.

///EDIT:

Wait a minute! I increased my shadow distance setting up to 200m and my fps raised A LOT in that kind of situation :D it likely lowers some detail because of the higher shadow view distance Actually it makes trees more detailed but raises fps... Change 50m->200m and fps changes 33fps->53fps :D

In 3Den it's sometime hard to get "left click" work in 2D mode.

Ok finally went thru a stroll thru Georgetown and yes, while many buildings arent enterable, I do find the city itself nicely laid out with nice elevation changes, decent building variety, rich colors, and plenty of ambush spots. While of course I'd like 80-90% enterable, making those high rises open does seem like alot of work. Still furnishings should be affordable nao no? *cough*

On wishlist: Street names with proper dubbing added to soldiers. "Advancing North on Waka Waka Boulevard". "Enemy spotted on Hutu Watu Lane"..

• Like 1

I play with some video settings to show something interesting:

You turned off FXAA you jaggy line loving heathen! :P   That's pretty interesting.  Do you see the same performance increase with larger shadow distance on Altis?  Takistan?

On my opinion tanoa looks to clean and perfect, there is no junk around it, wrecked cars or abadoned buildings.