pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

Tanoa is beautiful.  I've been to Ovalau many years ago, and the little dirt airport is spot on how I remember it.  Makes me thirsty for a Fiji Bitter.

I find this disturbing though...coincidence?:

fiji_butthead.jpg

I just spit out my drink, LMAO!

• Like 4

Can we please move Tanoa's   Safe Position Anchor?

configFile >> 'CfgWorlds' >> 'Tanoa' >> 'safePositionAnchor'

These are 'last resort' positions found by functions such as BIS_fnc_findSafePos when all else fails.

If a safe position cannot be found for, say, an enemy tank, it will pick that spot to spawn.

Right now its at   [7072,7734,0]  on the main runway of the main airport, close to probably a lot of main bases in community content, not the best place for stuff to magically appear :)

On Altis it was perfect, far out of the way of everything, so while you are fixing the spawning issue at least the spawning stuff isn't disrupting play.

• Like 1

Guest ti0n3r

Driving around Tanoa in an offroad right now, first impression... **** me sideways and call me Miller, I didn't even know it was possible to create something this detailed and beatifull in Arma, esp not with this kind of preformance. Just wow. :wub:

Found some objects with very aggressive LoD popping disco mode, and some objects that cause vegetation to dissapear if you stand along the walls of them. Guess  thats for feedback tracker tho.

Overall i like the expansion, but i'm really disappointed too about not new naval or diver stuff. Tanoa map has many islands around it for cool naval/diver missions, so many potential wasted

I agree that we need more naval and diver stuff.  I've been planning a diver mission for Tanoa, and really hope they improve the sea floor.  I've been diving in Fiji, and it has (had?) great coral reefs and some wrecks.  Hopefully they plan on improving the dive sites.

But jungle is awesome.  Just did a quick skirmish in the jungle and was pleasantly surprised that the AI did *not* seem to have super human vision, and I actually had a chance in the jungle fight.

I am really happy with everything I am seeing so far. Only thing I would comment on is that I was hoping the NATO VTOL was going to have that "stealth look" similar to all the other aircraft. Its kinda out of place with its rounded edges and body lines.... but I guess I'm just being picky lol 

I agree that we need more naval and diver stuff.  I've been planning a diver mission for Tanoa, and really hope they improve the sea floor.  I've been diving in Fiji, and it has (had?) great coral reefs and some wrecks.  Hopefully they plan on improving the dive sites.

But jungle is awesome.  Just did a quick skirmish in the jungle and was pleasantly surprised that the AI did *not* seem to have super human vision, and I actually had a chance in the jungle fight.

Initial detection is pretty good.

The issue was re-detection. Once they are aware of you, they are doing raycast LOS checks, where they can have unnatural ability to spot you. Of course they see bushes/trees/vegetation/etc as obstructions so this may prevent them engaging you in dense jungle sometimes.

Initial detection is pretty good.

The issue was re-detection. Once they are aware of you, they are doing raycast LOS checks, where they can have unnatural ability to spot you. Of course they see bushes/trees/vegetation/etc as obstructions so this may prevent them engaging you in dense jungle sometimes.

Agree on redetection but its not too terrible.  the jungle is so dense losing LOS is possible supported by flanking.   I am loving jungle Ai gameplay so far.   hunting Ai is the most fun  have in arms in a long time.  its a game changer.  

Any there jungle Ai comments or experiences?

Any there jungle Ai comments or experiences?

only a few tests in zeus so far

depending on the density of the jungle they only detected each other when between 60 and 20 meters distance to each other, the firefights where long and aggressive, lot's of suppressing fire and flanking maneuvers since they never really had good firing and overwatch positions and where constantly moving in on each other.

• Like 3

I last nite placed about 20 ai on one of the bridges, than set the ai path to come right past me me(as I hid in a bush/with guille, within like 5m) all ai just mosied on there way as if I was'nt even there....a good sign. Gonna try some more tonite with em even closer an test detection changes etc. If i remember I'll make a video of it. One of my funnest memories was in ArmA1 (Sahrani) hiding in a bush sniping ai an they nvr could find me, I hav'nt seen that replicated in any since. I also fire off some shots tonite too and see how that changes there ability to still spot/track etc.

• Like 2

I think the 'Native Temple' in Nasua (113123) is facing the wrong way. Why would the the main entrance be facing away from the centre of the village? And why would the stairs be leading to a window?

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/487892961316032390/90AE35794130A3D214004759D156EBD955D0D57B/

• Like 1

Tanoa is beautiful.  I've been to Ovalau many years ago, and the little dirt airport is spot on how I remember it.  Makes me thirsty for a Fiji Bitter.

I find this disturbing though...coincidence?:

fiji_butthead.jpg

no offense, but the statue doesn't even remotely look like that cartoon character. Maybe the hairdresser had a smiliar style, but that's all.

Nose, eyes, chin, mouth, they have no resemblence.

When I'll be old, I will tell my grandchildren "I was there when cranes were flying!".

Please Devs

Add both, unarmed and armed version of the RHIB to apex. I would appreciate a statement about this :)

nsw-rhib-hr.jpg

SOFREP-SWCC-Riverine-Craft.jpg

• Like 2

1 is a RHIB, the other a SOCR...SOCR will not be available in the vanilla A3...wrong thread just as well

• Like 1

Is there a thread for Tanoa benchmark results? Been looking for one, couldn't find.

With all the water in Tanoa how about fixing objects buoyancy as it was in A2.

Example almost every thing sinks in A3 but things that should float did in A2.

Also setting velocity has no effect in water so limits what can and can't be done.   

*Feedback/Misplaced objects*

After yesterdays Dev Update, the big red cranes have been fixed at Blue Harbor :D

Though i encountered this small misplaced object:

http://imgur.com/a/QhXMr

And it looks like the big tank is sunken into the ground, not sure if it is supposed to be that way, but it does not look like it:

http://imgur.com/54kE0Ps

Other then that, still a great map with good FPS (better then Altis for me)

Keep it up!! :D :D

• Like 1

There a huge FPS drop when aiming through sniper scope at Tanoa jungle trees

We need a building, in which you can go inside. Most of the buildings on the Tanoa - just blanks. Altice was an island with houses without interior and Tanoa becomes an island, on which very few buildings with entrance.

To be fare regarding buildings, i think there are acctually quite a few buildings that are entreble or atleast partially. (I mean I ussually spent most of my time on the dutch islan cuz I feel at home there ;P and there are allot of entrable buildings there)

• Like 1

What are your graphics settings? I have a small drop in my end but nothing like you. There was a similar issue in Arma 2.

I know it's all WIP but just a few comment...

- Love the dense djungle and the narrow rocky paths!

- Map needs much more litter, trash, other stuff, weathering on many buildings etc. i.e not so newly painted more dirty look, , graffiti, car wrecks, scrap heaps, etc.

- All military equipment also need more dirt, weathering and scratches etc, in A3 vanilla many weapons/scopes looks awesome (ex Mk-1 EMR) and you get the feeling of them being used in combat. Not so with other equipment like vehicles , tanks, helis, etc.  Same goes for uniforms, boots, wests, helmets, backpacks, they all look like they are pretty much coming strait from the factory.

One exception in vanilla I can think of is the rubber boats, they have some sandy foot prints and it feels like it's not the first time the boat is inflated and used - small things like that goes a long way.

Anyone doing some kind of mil service knows that their equipment don't look brand new - and most of the time you get already used equipment - for very long so more dirt, weathering, rust, dust, scratches and flaky paintings will make things much more believable and immersive IMO.

So please all you texture wizard at BIS, make it feel more natural and living!

/KC

• Like 1

I am sorry to tell you this ... but your CPU can't handle it, AMD is worst CPU for gaming.

- disable the new water reflections

- set viewdistance not over 1600

- set terrain and object both to high

- set textures to high or very high

- disable PIP

- disable ATOC

- set AA not over 4x, if still scope lag set it to 2x AA

- do not run Arma3 on Windows 10