pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

Ok, there is my feedback

Some dirt road crossing normal road (there also flying cranes, but you can ignore it, i read that you already know about this)

On screenshots you can see their position

http://imgur.com/a/VQwzn

I think it's for detail and not a bug. It's not physically possible to have 1 normal road next to a dirt one and on the normal road there is like no dirt.

After switching to Dev Branch on my main install I finally had a chance to start exploring Tanoa. Looks and feels completely different, and sometimes it reminds me a bit of Panthera.

After flying and driving around for a while I set up a little assault mission in the jungle with AI. Even though it's far better than in Arma 2 the AI is still able to spot enemies through vegetation. But I think for PvP game modes like Battle Royale or even some hidden basebuilding this dense vegatation is a whole new experience. The downside of these many objects are the usual ones we already know. So Arma being Arma makes it difficult to move around nicely on rocky areas. At some points the rocks also deal damage as you glitch in between them. And if you get in/on the treetop at steep hills you'll enter the "hoverbug state". So jungle combat will be nice... once you get used to the typical Arma flaws.

There are two things from the player and modder perspective that "could be better":

First thing has to do with indestructible buildings. Not sure if it's because it's still dev and not all models are finished but not all enterable buildings like the one at fuel stations have a destroyed model. No matter how much C4 you use you won't be able to destroy it's structure. In mods that allow base building this is a huge advantage and makes it far too easy to build a super safe base.

Second thing is the number of enterable buildings in some areas like the harbor. Both the containers and the factory buildings don't offer a lot of space for loot piles and may become dead and useless zones in mods that rely on looting. (Nearly every small village on the early DayZ Chernarus map had this issue.)

...and some minor map things:

- [12091.2,9219.69,0] The mud track goes a bit too far on the road.

- La Rochelle [9552.27,13505.9,0], [9533.22,13384.3,0] / Ovau[12371.3,12704.5,0] Where will the water flow here? I think there are some tubes missing.

- Not sure if it's just me but the wave breaker barriers look weird as some objects don't connect to the rest of it. So the basically float in the air. 

(It will be hard to keep track of all these map issues on the bugtracker. Wouldn't it be easier if the Devs would set up a Leaflet map where everyone could place markers and assign issues? For example a new ticket "missing water tubes" in the category "missing objects" plus these 3 markers.)

Cant belive Tanoa.....

Texture sat is like generated with L3dt and never reach the work with photoshop

85% of the buildings are unaccessible ( 0 progress from arma1 really ? )

At goerge Town there is 2 skyscraper are glithed inside each other and u cant enter at the first floor unless you teleport your self inside

Some doors got problem of collider LOD dat dont allow you to enter inside

AI maybe dont remember what the road is ( :D )

Q752nIt.jpg

Women confirmed!

I'm a terrible person

Not for Apex they are not.

Ok here is my feedback so far:

- Excellent map, probably the most beautiful map so far for BI. Good job!

- Low fps specifically in urban areas . I also believe that this will probably be much better in a month or two.

- Midrange textures - Well this is the biggest disappointment for me so far. I mean everything else look exceptionally good but the mid range textures steal some of your glory dev's!

- Some of the other bugs already reported and already known by the dev's

Overall a fantastic job from BIS and I can't wait to see the vehicles and the units implemented in the game. Happy APEX owner :)

Why are so many people complaining about their FPS? I don't have a god rig but I run Tanoa on Ultra with 3k View distance and 2.5k object while I run smoothly on 40-60 fps

Why are so many people complaining about their FPS? I don't have a god rig but I run Tanoa on Ultra with 3k View distance and 2.5k object while I run smoothly on 40-60 fps

You have 40-60 FPS on an empty map or during battle involving AI's? 

You should always calculate your FPS with AI enabled on the island. 

about the loot stuff that has been brought up. people will just have to adapt. find new methods. hide loot outside of buildings in cars or jsut in the open behind a wall or make a script that replaces certain buildings with others. you can do a lot of things.

i'm pretty sure the decision to make less stuff enterable has several good reasons like AI not being able to use indoors that great anyways and performance. why do another Kavala that takes so much work and in the end is not smoothly playable for anyone?

although i gotta say that some of those tiny houses with one room enterable and then another fake door leading to an imaginary one? i mean yea, would make sense on large buildings, but that seems almost like overthinking it. i can't really see a gain from adding a fake door when you could've made the whole thing one room easily with the same or close amount of polygons. just my thoughts on those tiny but closed or partly closed sheds/huts.

the big city makes sense so far except for the fact that not all roofs are accessible. for the love of god. just add a ladder to each of them to be done with it. so annoying when such a simple and effective thing again requires additional mod work.

Tried today in the jungle with 40+ AI, fps was +/- 28 but when allot of LMG's with tracer started firing it went down to 15~20 FPS.

viewDistance = 1000

object = 847

everything on ULTRA

fx-8350 @4.0

GTX980

24GB DDr3 Ram 1600Mhz

arma on SSD

after the fight it went back up to +/- 35-40 fps with about 10 AI left

[Women in Apex]

Not for Apex they are not.

You did not understand Grumpy's humor, obviously. I think it was funny :)

Any update on using Tanoa with a separated installation?

Map looks nice but I really hope BI will replace most of the static buildings... as ninja970y said... it feels a bit like Arma1 and can break the gameplay :/

I dont want high detailed decor in each house. Even a white empty room is better than a fake door.

One of the first things I did when I got the Tanoa was shoot those small rocks (don't ask me why, I just seem to like shoot things), just now remembered to report the bug :D

They "die" so they get turned.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T117450

Forgot abaut the roads intersection, really BI you dont know the ORDER ID for the shape to make the transiction?

One of the first things I did when I got the Tanoa was shoot those small rocks (don't ask me why, I just seem to like shoot things), just now remembered to report the bug :D

They "die" so they get turned.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T117450

haha! would be funny to have a bunch of bugs running away from under them in a panic.

• Like 1

RT7vfcq.jpg

That sounds more like a tourist information, though I am not able to fully read it.

3.6 gb download on devbranch for me no idea what it is

Same here but downloading stopped for me at around 22%

3.6 gb download on devbranch for me no idea what it is

most likely industrial structures and infrastructural fixes

I am on 48.57%... lets give them some time :)

Any updates on Dev-Branch are going to be quite large due to the EBO files versus Steam delta-patching. You may see multi-GB updates every day, so run away to main branch if you have a bandwidth cap ;)

• Like 6

Any updates on Dev-Branch are going to be quite large due to the EBO files versus Steam delta-patching. You may see multi-GB updates every day, so run away to main branch if you have a bandwidth cap ;)

I'd dare to say that it's worth paying the extra GBs, but that's IMHO. 

• Like 2

Retreat? No way!

• Like 1

RT7vfcq.jpg

That sounds more like a tourist information, though I am not able to fully read it.

It reads something like this: In memoriam

A circular brick-paved patio in the landscape garden features a dramatic monument consisting of two ten foot granite columns set on a granite base. The colours represent the Sl???veport Police and Fire Departments, encircling the patio are granite [markers?] bearing the names of all ??? police officers and firefighters who have lost their lives in duty related incidents.
I have been led to believe there is a monument commemorating fire and policemen lost in either a certain event or the plaque is just a general commemoration of all firemen and policemen lost. If it is a certain event, maybe it is the natural disaster Tanoa's campaign is based after.
  • Like 1

I have no problem with downloading GB but Steam is still stucked , even my ArmA 3 Sample Update is stuck :(

My first impressions on Tanoa:

GOOD

* Jungle looks absolutely beautiful.

* Water look fine

* Good terrain variety

* Map is more versatile for tactical play than Altis / Stratis, which are basically rocks with very sparse cover. Tanoa is still not on par with Chernarus though (imho).

BAD

* Overall color palette and textures deserve more work imho. Objects colors don't blend well with terrain, many of them look a bit cartoonish ( bright color, flat / oversaturated textures ). 

* Villages look a bit simple and flat, most of them look like sparse groups of 3 - 4 "bungalow" types.

* Overall Tanoa looks a tad too clean and "perfect" to me: immaculate asphalt, road signs perfectly placed even on muddy roads. More littering is welcome, please make it dirty.

* I'm still looking for some memorable locations, but haven't found many so far. I miss some "genius loci".

• Like 2

* Overall Tanoa looks a tad too clean and "perfect" to me: immaculate asphalt, road signs perfectly placed even on muddy roads. More littering is welcome, please make it dirty.

i agree on some places. i also like the idea of having crooked road signs on remote dirt paths.

elaborate on what makes Chernarus better though. just curious. maybe some stuff, eventhough it's borderline comparing apples to oranges, could be translated and applied to Tanoa, if you formulate it properly.