pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

Broken windows and misplaced object [[11730,6931.92,0.00144005],310.722] (Not sure if a bug, but one can't shoot through them)

In St. Julian there's a little bungalow with glass slat style blinds with gaps between them.  Even though it's mostly open and glass you can't shoot through it.  Also at the entrance and exit at the main airport (under the Arrivees sign) there are doors behind invisible walls just before you leave the terminal area.  I'll get screenshots and locations tonight, just the "can't shoot through them" made me remember that. heh

Hey all, when reporting FPS, can you share your settings liek this post: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191389-tanoa-discussion-dev-branch/page-41#entry3039066

Also if you are running around alone or with AI firefights?  I see people reporting really good FPS, but i dont want to lose sight of how ti would actually perform on a mission itself...not just running around solo...

I'll have to take a screenshot, but I tried it without mods and anytime I'd go full auto, or go above 50kmh in a car my fps would tank.  Granted my system isn't great, but it managed Stratis and Altis fine, up until the last patch (the one before Tanoa). 

Right-O! Finally got my hands on Tanoa, I'm genuinely impressed of how believable it feels, all the locations I stumbled upon feel very natural and the attention to detail is something I personally have never seen in Arma before, congrats to the devs!

The next thing I noticed is the vertical element, again something I've yet to see in any previous (official at least) terrain in this magnitude, the cliffs are quite a lot nicer than say in Stratis, both in aesthetics and usability as you can quite freely walk on these without getting stuck in freefall, finally I can crawl up to a ledge and deploy my .50 cal without trouble, super cool!

Here's a couple of shots of what I mean, I didn't measure but these formations are tens, maybe ever over a hundred meters in height, and walkable, let that sink in for a bit.  :wub:

ZQ3828J.jpg

4V85ZtE.jpg

It's also super cool to hover just above the dense treetops trying to get a peek at possible hostiles on the ground and still have even higher trees above you, fucking epic I say!

Then the jungle, as said it is dense! And scary at night, positional audio gave me a couple of heebie-jeebies when I was trying to find my way out of the misty jungle and it was getting dark when some critter started screaming right behind me  :lol: Good stuff! 

There's one bird sample from Arma2, which IMO fits better in Tanoa than it does in Chernarus, but at least initially it feels bit weird to hear it again  :)

So far the cons I've noticed:

- Very apparent LOD-popping at least when on foot in the jungle, never bothered me in Altis/Stratis to this extent.

- Midrange textures, I've learned to live with the way they are, but in Tanoa there's quite a few places where the texture is cyan, it looks almost like there's some poison puddles on the ground or something

- Underwater is unfortunately quite barren, I understand it might be performance-costly, but having same kind of rock formations and shit underwater as we have above would open up even more thrilling gameplay options

I've yet to properly test how AI behaves in the jungle but initial impressions were good and at least I didn't notice any see-thru-everything-terminators and pathfinding felt okay too.

At this point I'm inclined to say this is the best map I've "played". My hat's off to you BI.

• Like 3

- Very apparent LOD-popping at least when on foot in the jungle, never bothered me in Altis/Stratis to this extent.

This, it's one thing when trees in a distance of 100m change their lod, but gras 5 meters infront of me, a no-go!

• Like 1

Got some small bugs, these were found on Airport Tanoa:

Two words: feedback tracker :P

Edit: for those of you disappointed by the lack of enterable buildings, I think you'll still be pleasantly surprised by how well Georgetown plays out for street combat!

Just watched this video by DevilDog of him battling AI through the streets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7sZffNV5p4

• Like 3

If only you could drive the little trains - they've built like 50km of network so I don't see why not. Maybe BI could contact those russian guys who are trying to make a mod for it. But even without this the map may be one of the best ever on ArmA.

• Like 2

Tried the little bird and zoomed in at the trees, Lod issues make them look like low bandwidth streaming video 240p, not sure if it's the glass causing that effect.

Also, the tech which doesn't render objects if not in view has problem between 2 items as all foliage disappeared strafing at certain points, could be major but not enough time to recreate or safe piccies or vid.

I bought and downloaded the expansion on dev, and have spent several hours playing it.

If I had to pick 3 words to describe Tanoa: Absolutely. F@#$ing. Astonishing.

There should be a few dislocated shoulders at BI from patting themselves on the back, this map is really something special.

My only minor gripes - I'd love to see pigs added to the ambient animal roster. And while I'm at it I'd love to see women added to the human roster. And lastly, are there plans to add Polynesian/Melanesian style civs? I couldn't find anything looking in the config.

• Like 5

Ok here is my feedback so far:

- Excellent map, probably the most beautiful map so far for BI. Good job!

- Low fps specifically in urban areas . I also believe that this will probably be much better in a month or two.

- Midrange textures - Well this is the biggest disappointment for me so far. I mean everything else look exceptionally good but the mid range textures steal some of your glory dev's!

- Some of the other bugs already reported and already known by the dev's

Overall a fantastic job from BIS and I can't wait to see the vehicles and the units implemented in the game. Happy APEX owner :)

• Like 1

If i was cheeky and made a request: I see mangrove type plants on the coast in wading and ankle depth, considering we have oceanic life, maybe in full version add one of these little beauties in: (lemon shark)

wes_ReefShark.jpg

• Like 3

The fps is incredibly good on my i7 4770k (4ghz) and gtx770, 40 fps on an empty map with 12k view distance and 6k object.

The setting is lovely and with the new visual update you can almost feel the tanoan climate.

midrange textures are weird though.

Exploring this jewel, fun times ahead.

Cheers

here is some pics of misplaced objects and buildings, I didn't sent it to the feedback forum because I don't have the map locations, but is all on the docks area and the airport

http://imgur.com/a/WwBsv

also a video, only the first part show some of the bugs, like invisible walls, doors you can't pass trough

• Like 1

arma 3 just said  they wont add more enterable buildings.... its a joke... even small buildings in the jungle that is soo............sht

Thanks BIS ..best ever looking environment...

and the environment sounds give an incredibly feeling of the jungle.

i love it

• Like 1

people trying to use the game updater. have you considered having dev branch as your main branch and stable as the secondary? i know i'm kind of stating the obvious here but i foudn that makes more sense either way since dev branch auto updates a lot anyways and stable updates come only so often which means having to run the updater way less.

althoguh i'm wondering if it still would cause problems with the expansion recognition once you have started stable once.

• Like 1

you cant get out of the boat do a peer/dock. always you land in the water. could that be changed.

people trying to use the game updater. have you considered having dev branch as your main branch and stable as the secondary? i know i'm kind of stating the obvious here but i foudn that makes more sense either way since dev branch auto updates a lot anyways and stable updates come only so often which means having to run the updater way less.

althoguh i'm wondering if it still would cause problems with the expansion recognition once you have started stable once.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140620-how-to-change-arma-3-branches-between-stable-development-versions-steam-client/page-8#entry3039294  ;)

Everything is working fine. No problems in multiplayer and single player (especially for Tanoa testing purposes) at all.

Dude I LOVE your mid range texture mod! :wub: Saved my eyes haha :D Are you considering making one for Tanoa's rather awful mid range textures too? 2.0

Couldn't pass broken/open fence with Quadbike, camera code:

["Tanoa",[6963.4,7720.04,1.96522],296.09,0.7,[-42.766,0],0,0,727.503,0.999904,0,1,0,1]

FPS surprisingly good, love the possibilities it offers. Beautiful terrain, some areas maybe look a bit clean and artificial... This terrain wants cloud and rain. I like the mighty thunder sound.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140620-how-to-change-arma-3-branches-between-stable-development-versions-steam-client/page-8#entry3039294  ;)

Everything is working fine. No problems in multiplayer and single player (especially for Tanoa testing purposes) at all.

cool, thx for the confirmation. was waiting for one before i did it like that since the game updater forces you to be offline for a while.

arma 3 just said  they wont add more enterable buildings.... its a joke... even small buildings in the jungle that is soo............sht

The main type of warfare for this release is Jungle warfare, not urban warfare, sure it's nice to have some buildings to enter, which is what they have got.

It's certainly not a game stopper for me, even in Altis and Stratis, most of my time was spent fighting bad guys outside of the buildings. 

Some folks get over upset over trivial issues.

• Like 1

Jungle on Tanoa reminds me of the jungle in Star Wars Battlefront , and that is a good thing :)

Now if BI or someone else worked for improved mid range textures this could be the map of the decade :)

• Like 1