pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

I see what you mean.  It is a bit weird having all that sound but nothing around.  

Ambient animals are probably coming in the future. On that subject: we need monkeys!

• Like 6

I'm curious to see how ambient monkeys would look like..and how they'll behave.

Framerates on Tanoa are just as unplayable as on Altis, even though I'm not even testing real gameplay. Just placed down a quadbike and drove around on an empty Tanoa, and I can't even manage to drive safely because the framerate is so bad. I'm using modest settings on a fairly powerful machine. If this is what BI consider their Apex, then it's probably time for me to abandon Arma for good. Nice content (Tanoa seems like a lovely place), but still unplayable thanks to the ancient technology it's built upon. Can't even imagine how badly it will run during proper gameplay if it doesn't even manage 25fps during a ride on a quadbike in an empty playspace.

FX-8350 @ 4,6 GHz / R9 290X / 16GB DDR3 / SSD storage <--- Not exactly a potato. Manages any game I can throw at it except Arma3. Theoretically, it exceeds Arma 3 minimum and recommended specs with a huge margin.

These are the recommended specs listed on Steams Arma 3 page:

• Processor:Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better 
  • Memory:4 GB RAM 
  • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better

Can't even imagine playing the game on a machine like that. Sure, it might launch and display an image or two, but will be it enjoyable? Hell no...

An empty Tanoa is running at 45-60 FPS for me with a comparable system (Xeon Quad Core @ 3.4-3.8 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 980). Maybe your settings are a bit too high? I'm sporting Ultra settings with 5KM view distance. Cranked it up to 12KM for some photography but since I'm running the game from an oldschool HDD, the constant loading in of assets causes some stuttering when moving rapidly.

• Like 2

I'm curious to see how ambient monkeys would look like..

Like rabbits, just on trees?^^

• Like 1

Using game updater to download, but it still says purchase for me in the editor.

Me too.

I'm using steamcmd, but same results

Framerates on Tanoa are just as unplayable as on Altis, even though I'm not even testing real gameplay. Just placed down a quadbike and drove around on an empty Tanoa, and I can't even manage to drive safely because the framerate is so bad. I'm using modest settings on a fairly powerful machine. If this is what BI consider their Apex, then it's probably time for me to abandon Arma for good. Nice content (Tanoa seems like a lovely place), but still unplayable thanks to the ancient technology it's built upon. Can't even imagine how badly it will run during proper gameplay if it doesn't even manage 25fps during a ride on a quadbike in an empty playspace.

FX-8350 @ 4,6 GHz / R9 290X / 16GB DDR3 / SSD storage <--- Not exactly a potato. Manages any game I can throw at it except Arma3. Theoretically, it exceeds Arma 3 minimum and recommended specs with a huge margin.

These are the recommended specs listed on Steams Arma 3 page:

• Processor:Intel Core i5-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better 
  • Memory:4 GB RAM 
  • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7750 with 1 GB VRAM or better

Can't even imagine playing the game on a machine like that. Sure, it might launch and display an image or two, but will be it enjoyable? Hell no...

Unplayable with 25-30 FPS ???? Pure Hyperbole there in your post, There's clearly other issues going on with your system, what addons do you have loaded, what's your settings etc?

[...]but still unplayable thanks to the ancient technology it's built upon.

[...]FX-8350 @ 4,6 GHz

i'm sorry to burst on your parade, but so is your CPU....

• Like 1

Bug pictures incoming!
First pic. It's serious, I guess. When you try to climb the ladder, in the end of it you're going to stuck in textures and fall in result. Also, no sounds when climbing in the end of the ladder.
Secong one in Blue Pearl. Also, you can't hear your footsteps on it. 

Third is here, too.

https://imgur.com/a/PFlaY

Hey all, when reporting FPS, can you share your settings liek this post: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191389-tanoa-discussion-dev-branch/page-41#entry3039066

Also if you are running around alone or with AI firefights?  I see people reporting really good FPS, but i dont want to lose sight of how ti would actually perform on a mission itself...not just running around solo...

Hardware: I7 3770k @3,7ghz

nVidia Geforce GTX 980 TI

16 GB Corsair Snailspeed ram (699 mhz or something like that)

game is on a SSD (same as windows because SSDs were expensive back then)

Settings: everything Ultra, 150% multisampling, HBAO+ shader, SSAA very high, Caustics enabled and all that other jazz on very high at least.

3den/on foot:

Plain field or village: 70 fps

Forest: 45-50 fps

city: 38-40fps

in a hunter: field: 35 fps

forest: 28-32 fps

city: 30-20 fps

3 AI Squads fighting each other in the middle of a dense jungle: 20fps. totally worth it though :^)

3den/on foot:

Plain field or village: 70 fps

Forest: 45-50 fps

city: 38-40fps

in a hunter: field: 35 fps

forest: 28-32 fps

city: 30-20 fps

Halfed just because you're in a hunter? That sounds strange.

i'd have to double check that but the PIP eats a lot of performance on my system

and of course the hunter is driving pretty fast while i am way slower on foot. forgot to mention that

Halfed just because you're in a hunter? That sounds strange.

He could have PIP on Ultra. The Hunter has a rear camera so that would reduce your FPS by quite a lot. Other than that there isn't any reason for it to be halfed unless he was in first person. 

For low FPS when zooming or near dense foliage...ATOC* is the guy you need to tackle ;)

With i7 2600K@4.7 and AMD 7950@1175/5200 (Normal/High/Ultra/SMAA settings), there is decent if not superb 40-60 FPS. Where on Altis and Stratis is like 55-60FPS

*ATOC is heavily used with trees, bushes, grass etc.

Also, lowering Object and View distance <= 1500m will give you boost in framerate. Tanoa is a jungle, hills and foliage are everywhere, so you might not see objects further then cca. 1500m anyways

P.S. When in Marshall and in zooming, FPS goes 15-25FPS doing nothing

i'd have to double check that but the PIP eats a lot of performance on my system

and of course the hunter is driving pretty fast while i am way slower on foot. forgot to mention that

Rendering based on CPU? Cant be the GPU. The usual thing is update drivers. But I figure thats a given they are. But the word on the street is rendering is based alot on CPU and isnt utilizing GPU much. hence people say A3 needs a monster CPU and still it doesn't use multicores well.

Well, they made a mistake:

La Rochelle is located here:

163068Sanstitre.jpg

Are you kidding me mate, like half of Altis and Stratis cities and towns are located on completely other places in greece!

• Like 1

Hey all, when reporting FPS, can you share your settings liek this post: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191389-tanoa-discussion-dev-branch/page-41#entry3039066

Also if you are running around alone or with AI firefights?  I see people reporting really good FPS, but i dont want to lose sight of how ti would actually perform on a mission itself...not just running around solo...

I tried a quick port of a mission I usually get 40FPS on Altis with and I was immediately at 22FPS on Tanoa.  Without the mission running I was popping around the map at 30-40.

• Like 3

I tried a quick port of a mission I usually get 40FPS on Altis with and I was immediately at 22FPS on Tanoa.  Without the mission running I was popping around the map at 30-40.

Thanks all.  Yea i was seeing the same thing, hence why i wanted people to report FPS while in mission and not just enjoying the view.  Hopefully they can keep an eye out for FPS performance

How can you download the map using SteamCMD? I've tried changing the appid to the Apex one but that doesn't seem to work. It just complains about an invalid install path.

It is a Windows server so I can just download the Steam client but I'd rather not. That also won't work for people running a Linux VPS who might be having the same issue.

Misplaced ground texture at [[5625.23,8069.62,0.000944138],62.0365] (pos,dir)

Floating container crains at [[13669.9,12345.4,0.00143886],264.534]

Broken windows and misplaced object [[11730,6931.92,0.00144005],310.722] (Not sure if a bug, but one can't shoot through them)

Sharp  transition between fortress wall and grass [[12166.7,2484,0.00143886],48.6859] (not sure if fixable)

• Like 2

So steam decided to eventually download the update.

My FPS is fine using the same settings as on altis, getting some microstutter though but that could be my mouse acting up as it's worn out.

Love the vegitation.

Is it expected that there is an FPS penalty, because it is dev-branch which uses monitoring systems or whatever or are these 'true' FPS that we can also expect on Stable eventually?