pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

4Ey58kM.jpgYxT7eP7.jpg I

Dev is great because we get to see the work they put in. One of these skins, which someone beautifully created is about to have its last breath.  Thank-you unknown artist, for your time.

This is one beautiful map. I saw some garbage by the road on my way into the airport but there was some nice hedges covering the unsightliness. I may have to bring my family here.

I just fly around trying to see cool shit then immediately try to forget what I just saw. Want to keep her preserved.

man, it's probably too late to suggest but i'd love to see a river. doesn't have to be a real inland stream but could just come from the ocean like a laguna. i feel like driving down one with dense jungle to both sides would be amazing visually and also interesting to get deep into the jungle with a boat. feels like a missed opportunity.

not talking about new inland flowing water technology. more like what unsung did.

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/eggbeast/media/f105-1_zps10b8833d.jpg.html

not realistic on an island that scale maybe but i'd gladly trade that realism for having scenes such as these.

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/unsung6_4.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/18/17508/9.1.jpg

anyways. Tanoa is pretty awesome. especially the most dense jungle areas. BI are just so seasoned at recreating large natural locations. feels like the nature on this map is the master piece of those skills being polished over the years. especially those small paths and rock formations are fantastic. reminds me of the old vietcong game series.

and this map also brings back the mystery of Chernarus' forests. while Altis was lacking that with all the open planes, giant hills and thin forests and everything generally being exposed, this map brings it to the next level. you can walk into stuff so easily now and even if there's just a few random enemies in a mission you'll never know what's behind all those leafs. that's a really cool.

also i'm curious abou the fauna. didn't see much of it yet so i'm wondering, if there's more to come.

i feel like a lot of the foliage shaders/materials could look more shiney to get that humid wet look but not sure of that is performance related.

• Like 1

Bohemia, i come to find that looking through zoomed optics at the jungle brings FPS down 80%. This is BAD, because this means that simply looking at forests through scopes or binocs/rangefinders, means no FPS. Is there a way to sort of remedy this performance decrease?

• Like 2

My initial thoughts on Tanoa:

1. The environment/jungle sounds are amazing. Whoever recorded and coded that well done! However please remove the legacy Arma 2/Chernarus bird sound... breaks immersion.

2. Beautiful vegetation and building assets, first class!

3. Love all the local points of interest, meticulously detailed!

4. Would be cool to see birds flying around under the ambience class like butterfly's do.

• Like 9

Alright guys, I've compiled a gallery of all my moments in Tanoa so far, complete with fun little descriptions to go with each picture, to give it a sort of 'context' for each scene!

:D I hope you all like it!  :D 

http://imgur.com/a/pwxaz

• Like 2

My initial thoughts on Tanoa:

1. The environment/jungle sounds are amazing. Whoever recorded and coded that well done! However please remove the legacy Arma 2/Chernarus bird sound... breaks immersion.

lol i knew i heard that before. freaked me out.

The sign you see on the right in the screenshot below is wrong. It's at the southern roundabout in Georgetown, and it says that Regina and the airport are north when they are actually south.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/487892961311843138/18B22C395F8BE292B7086DD7C5A14A9B140579CF/

Also: Bitumen roads produce dirt sounds when driven on

And some dirt roads don't produce the dirt kick-up effect when driven over

Really impressed with the foliage and ambient sounds.  However I was disappointed when my FPS dropped from 70+ average on SP to around 35-40 when in the jungle, and AI still seemed to shoot through all vegetation as I feared .  Also only maybe 1/3 of the buildings are enter able.   Due to my hatred of bugs and crashes, I think I'll wait until apex is released on stable to explore any further.  

Still not working for me... maybe i should purchase it a second time!!!!11111!!!!111111111

Still not working for me... maybe i should purchase it a second time!!!!11111!!!!111111111

Did you switch your Steam client over to using the Development Build?

Bohemia, i come to find that looking through zoomed optics at the jungle brings FPS down 80%. This is BAD, because this means that simply looking at forests through scopes or binocs/rangefinders, means no FPS. Is there a way to sort of remedy this performance decrease?

Personally I wouldn't really use optics in the Jungle and go with iron sights, real jungles have this shit thing called humidity where everything suddenly fogs up, no such issue with the good old MK1 eyeball and Iron sight.

Hell even on a high humidity morning in Basrah, your eye wear fogs up, same in Thailand where I live rural.

Jungle warfare is close in and personal, using bino's actually "in" the jungle where at best you have 3-5 M's visibilit, is also pointless, and they suffer from the same "fogging" effect.

I get where you're coming from though, the drop does need fixing, but I'm more interested in how well NOD's work deep in the jungle, where there is no ambient light, and anyone who has ever spent any time in a real jungle will know the nights are as black as the inside of a monkeys arsehole!! So NVG's should not really work too well, without any ambient light source.

Even on my shitty laptop, the whole Island, even if it's not the final version is awesome, and feels pretty much spot on.

Ambient Sounds are a bit loud, but can live with it.

• Like 3

Alright guys, I've compiled a gallery of all my moments in Tanoa so far, complete with fun little descriptions to go with each picture, to give it a sort of 'context' for each scene!

:D I hope you all like it!  :D 

http://imgur.com/a/pwxaz

What color scheme are you using in those screenshots? like brightness/contrast/saturation etc

Hopefully, they plan on furnishing the enter-able buildings... I was hoping the reason why everything wasn't going to be able to be entered was b/c what is, would be more "alive", and not just b/c rv can't handle the jungle landscape of tanoa without serious compromises. Time will tell...

there's two pieces of feed back i can give for Tanoa, it's pretty... and i'm left with a deep disappointment with how many buildings aren't enterable. i feel like mods like Exile, Epoch and all mods that rely on items spawning in buildings or Tanoa life (when its released) that have buyable houses/garages are really going to suffer unless more buildings get opened up. a few isn't bad but when that few unenterable buildings make up a large portion of the actual buildings placed on the map it gets worry some, what's there is nice but i find allot of doors with poor textures that go nowhere and the insides of buildings was kind of a let down with some of the bigger ones you can go into. it is very pretty and i like the feel of the map however i feel allot of modded game modes are going to suffer compared to Altis/Stratis.

if i purchased the dlc bundle will i receive Tanoa ?

there's two pieces of feed back i can give for Tanoa, it's pretty... and i'm left with a deep disappointment with how many buildings aren't enterable. i feel like mods like Exile, Epoch and all mods that rely on items spawning in buildings or Tanoa life (when its released) that have buyable houses/garages are really going to suffer unless more buildings get opened up. a few isn't bad but when that few unenterable buildings make up a large portion of the actual buildings placed on the map it gets worry some, what's there is nice but i find allot of doors with poor textures that go nowhere and the insides of buildings was kind of a let down with some of the bigger ones you can go into. it is very pretty and i like the feel of the map however i feel allot of modded game modes are going to suffer compared to Altis/Stratis.

Thats the mods problems, its not BI's job to develop in mind of modders, no matter how much we'd like that, we benefit off of things added because they do as well. 

If life mods want to overcome this then they can create the content themselves.

• Like 2

if i purchased the dlc bundle will i receive Tanoa ?

No, the DLC Bundle does not containt the Apex extension. The DLC Bundle only contain Arma 3 Karts, Arma 3 Helicopters and Ama 3 Marksmen.

BIS did a really great job on this new map. Love all the new assets and can't wait to see it in user made content. Vietnam maps are gonna be fantastic :)
The jungles are much more dense than I expected. Sounds are a huge step up from previous maps. Great variation in buildings, even though we can't enter them all.

I really hope the LOD switching is improved before the stable release though, it's pretty bad at the moment.

A few fly overs and storm/rain- sounds:

sPPTFV5.pngWrong .bisurf for silos.

Odd outline in fog

pRdohkp.pngqnHLFJA.png(APC in distance)

• Like 2