pettka

Tanoa discussion (Dev-Branch)

What is the steamcmd command for the Apex dev branch?

About enterable buildings.

I would like to have acces to the church tower.

https://i.gyazo.com/2282a570b27165650e864a1e47f7822c.png

And I would like to have stairs not ladders to get acces to the roof of the higher buildings.

https://pp.vk.me/c633117/v633117347/2dffa/ERlS9NN3s98.jpg

Also seeing the archipelago I would like to have bigger boats like BAM from FFAA Mod.

http://imgur.com/6S56sUc

• Like 1

Out-fucking-standing guys!

Delicious terrain.

I was worried about the apparent lack of towns/built-up locations, but now I see how it actually is, its really very good.

Great work BI, look forward to more Apex

• Like 2

First impressions (my personal opinion please):

Honestly, I'm more excited having Tanoa's marvelous LOD fix "thing" seen on Altis as well as, finally, AK-74's. Tanoa is ... Ummm... dunno ... "very leafs and trees detailed but empty green-ish island"?  :unsure:

• Like 1

Already in love with this map and its possibilities.

meSYD6V.jpg

YND78Sq.jpg

7za3Wae.jpg

qMoaSYc.jpg

• Like 1

Loving the map, ambiance and feel is amazing. Loving the new (?) rain and thunder sounds. Would like to see a few more enterable buildings if I was going to complain about anything.

• Like 1

Can't wait to get Tanoa installed, its only eating up all the bandwidth my internet has to offer to get it installed

Guys...how can i setup my server to Apex with steamcmd?

I have not even begun my venture into the islands. I can say though, this is an outstanding map. I'm on the higher end of gaming hardware, and the performance is incredible honestly.

Averaging about 56fps, 2k, 3500m VD, 8x, very high and does not matter where I am. I hit my Vsync cap of 60fps in many places.

I'm sure I'll come back with some 'things'. But for now, holy chit, outstanding. Time to break out some boats!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

What is the steamcmd command for the Apex dev branch?

Steam > Arma (Right-Click) > Properties > Betas Tab > Select Development Branch

Or maybe you're talking about command line access (in which case I don't know).

• Like 1

Does it make sense to anyone that a French city -Saint-Julien is next to a British one -Georgetown?

Yes it does, take it from a French Polynesian  ;)  Also go watch Mutiny on the Bounty, the Royal Navy and the French Navy had it out for pacific islands for a LONG time.

• Like 1

Seems that by updating the game via Betas Tab to Dev branch will give ownership of Apex. GameUpdater version also has Apex access.

If you revert back to Main branch via Betas Tab the 'Apex DLC' gets 'uninstalled' and GameUpdater version goes back to 'Purchase' on Apex.

Just a thought, but maybe an update to GameUpdater's function to check for owned DLC could be beneficial.

Used the VSM uniform mod to get a rough idea of what the jungle camo patterns might be like by using the Cadpat which i felt was a good stand in.

Ended up with this

dNvWsP9.jpg

There was another mod that had an actual tropical camo but i don't remember it's name, so ya.

The map looks great! Despite being broke, I caved in and bought the DLC. Can't beat the deal!

Found an issue with what I assume is an occluder LOD (do note that I am running tons of addons, so take this with a grain of salt):

1B9E5E02EEDEE63CE0965D67932AC4221539652C9F449B5FDBFCE0E2180DE28DBCE43428B2F226C9

BD2F6F162F8179934B516A87F381E86CF8C6948B

F8AACCF8C371A0CC502D84BE9E52F4C33B4B9CCA

Congrats BI on the pre-release! Lots of detail and a great choice of setting. Some observations:

• Jungle bird noises are far too loud, most birds would be in top of canopy and/or move away from human player.
  • Transitions between sound environments would be better if smoother/blurred.
  • Sound environments are too localised/small. Five trees in a bunch outside a building in a town should not produce jungle sound environment.
  • Undersea life is disappointing. Where are the reefs?
  • Tides are missing?
  • Conveyor crossover stairs are sunk into the ground and clash with the conveyors at Blue Pearl.
    ["Paste",["Tanoa",[13384.8,11771.8,8.67118],230.327,0.72,[-30.8572,0],0,0,720.665,0,1,1,0,1]] call bis_fnc_camera;
  • "Kuntis Mart" is very crude and juvenile, I doubt even GTA would try to get away with that one. 
  • Nice to see footpaths/trails in the engine! :)
  • To aid communication, it would be good to give each of the islands it's own name, shown on the map.
  • I'm late for work!! :P

Edit: Back home again, time for MOAH!

• The dark brown texture for foot trails looks odd in most settings, as the ground colour is generally red. Could you use a colour that better matches the general soil, similar to the two tyre tracks for roads? (the soil in the jungle under the leaf litter is also red speaking from first hand experience)
  • In some places the detailed ground texture transition between the jungle and grass or dirt has ugly grey boundaries, which looks very unnatural:
  • ["Paste",["Tanoa",[7333.2,8877.67,6.1109],299.779,0.7,[-52,0],0,0,720.032,0,0,1,0,1]] call bis_fnc_camera;
  • Some more agricultural plants would be good, there's a lot of subsistence farming on Fiji.
  • Villages, road side stalls and market buildings are all really well done, very authentic.
  • Many man made objects look too clean. Warm, wet environments tend to have issues with mould etc growing on everything. Docks etc should have darker/dirtier textures for parts that are in the ocean. 
  • Rugby pitches! :)
  • conveyor head/tail misaligned:
    ["Paste",["Tanoa",[13636.3,12090.5,21.3333],64.0271,0.72,[-40.8572,0],0,0,720.665,0,1,1,0,1]] call bis_fnc_camera;
  • Grass in the ocean:
  • ["Paste",["Tanoa",[10204.1,13534.6,34.87],250.568,0.74,[-56.7572,0],0,0,723.119,0,1,1,0,1]] call bis_fnc_camera;
  • bushes in building:
  • ["Paste",["Tanoa",[9181.89,10127.7,2.29675],181.679,0.6,[-18.1858,0],0,0,528.737,0.632822,1,1,0,1]] call bis_fnc_camera;
  • The log drums should be hollow.
  • slum_03_f.p3d roof changes colour between grey and black at different LODs.
  • b_leucaena_f.p3d has an invisible LOD (moving towards it, it appears, disappears, then reappears)
  • dpp_01_mainfactory_f.p3d changes colour between light and dark grey at different LODs.
  • house_big_01_f.p3d has a large black shadow/texture on one LOD.
  • house_small_06_f.p3d verandah changes colour from brown to black at different LODs.
  • t_millettia_plantation_f.p3d has an invisible LOD (moving towards it, it appears, disappears, then reappears)
  • cinderblocks_01_f.p3d change colour from white to brown at different LODs.
  • cornerads_02_v2_f.p3d billboard on roof missing from some mid level LOD, but visible on lower detail LOD.
  • house_big_04_f.p3d changes colours from light red to maroon between LODs
  • b_sugarcane_mature_row_f.p3d and b_sugarcane_sapling_row_f.p3d change shades noticeably between LODs.
  • mangrove bushes are well done, but some larger trees would be interesting.
  • many bushes are excessively distorted by light winds
  • addon_03_f.p3d incorrectly occludes some objects at the corners with the stairs
  • shop_city_06_f.p3d - AI can glitch or fall to their death while attempting to climb onto roof via ladder
  • new buildings are even less AI friendly than Altis. Scripted AI buildingPos exploration mission results are approx 1 in 5 positions can't be reached, compared to 1 in 10 on Altis. Fortunately there seems to be less places where AI get themselves stuck.
  • Rain on corrugated sheet metal roof sound should be audible inside the buildings. Also seems too high pitched
  • shop_city_01_f.p3d changes colours between LODs from grey to blue
Edited by ceeeb
  • Like 2

Anyone else get massive frame drop when zooming in (ie. sniper rifle or binoculars) on forest from a distance?  

40fps unzoomed to 10fps zoomed.  No matter what settings changed still get 10fps (expet for object distance).  As soon as object view distance is reduced so that no jungle shows up in scope fps goes through the roof again (obviously).

Turned off all the normal offenders (ambient occlusion,  object detail, shadows, anti aliasing...everything... ) no effect. 

YESSS! after a really shitty night having my CPU cooler fan die and replaceing it with a stock one and my computer assing me about, i go stuff it and switch from stable to beta brance just for the heck and i just about cheered. http://prntscr.com/bdo3yftry switching from Stable from Beta now, it worked for me. i was already on stable and switched over.

Looks nice, overall. They actually have it where you can drag an entity from the left hand menu in the 3d editor now (for moving units over long distances). That was a pleasant surprise...

Beyond that... Mid-range textures look like shit (as always). The framerate hit compared to Altis is for real. If it doesn't improve quite a bit (it's bohemia, so we already know not to expect much there) it's probably going to play like shit when you actually try to do something on it involving actual missions and such.

On a i7 6700k and gtx 780 sc, w/ 16gb of ram at 3000mhz, I got as low as 35fps on an empty map in the woods. That's just 10 minutes of running around a few places. range was around 35-55fps on an empty map in that 10 minutes. probably on the order of 15-25 lower average fps compared to an empty altis on this rig.

It looks Great!  Good Jobb! Just some tweaking left-and a little up-date of the undersea life and reefs,and this will probably be the best thing with Arma 3 !

I have a small criticism of one of the new buildings, the Bungalow  (Land_House_Big_02_F). You cannot shoot through the wall of it with a 6.5 rifle, although you can shoot through the brick version of the house. The house has thinner walls than the houses on Altis/Stratis ex. (Land_i_House_Big_02_V1_F) although the 6.5 rifles shoot through these buildings just fine. The building material also appears to be comparable.

This is the Bungalow

FXwv6r

And this is the Altis house, as you can see, the wall is twice as thick

s9vPfo

Realy beautyfull map . I'm excited. :D

Probably, I'll just use the Game Updater for the Stable install for now to enjoy Tanoa.

And my goodness, while the visuals are "just" pretty good, the sound is A-F-U-C-K-I-N-G-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Seriously, headset on, overcast on one, with that summer heat in my room - I can close my eyes and feel like I'm really there. Really, outstanding job on the water, rain, and thunder sounds in particular. Absolutely stunning.

@IndeedPete The sound really is incredible. I set the overcast on full and a moment later had the long booming thunder that I've heard many times in real life, it was awesome. Then the rain came down so hard that I could barely see 3 meters in front of me. Great stuff! I ran out of likes for today or would have just voted your post.

great work... really really great work

20160607161644_1_zpsprohcrlq.jpg

20160607161223_1_zpss1tjvpsp.jpg