J0K3R 5

Help need Idiots guide to road smoothing

Have problems trying get the terrain smoothed under my roads.

Can someone in the know tell me the correct way to do it.

What Im doing but fails everytime.

1. Start terrain processor

2. create new and save it in my map project folder

3. click on blue icon and select heightmap: road intergration

4. add my road shape file from my data/road/road.shp

5. add dem files from my source\height.asc and it in the same folder with the same name

6. then click on run.

7. start up terrain builder

8. hit refresh on heightmap on layers

9. rebuild terrain

Then nothing is changed on map, so what am I missing here ?

Maybe in TP give the exported heightmap a different name, so it's not overwriting the original file.

Maybe in TP give the exported heightmap a different name, so it's not overwriting the original file.

Tried this, still not working for me

Have problems trying get the terrain smoothed under my roads.

Can someone in the know tell me the correct way to do it.

What Im doing but fails everytime.

1. Start terrain processor

2. create new and save it in my map project folder

3. click on blue icon and select heightmap: road intergration

4. add my road shape file from my data/road/road.shp

5. add dem files from my source\height.asc and it in the same folder with the same name

6. then click on run.

7. start up terrain builder

8. hit refresh on heightmap on layers

9. rebuild terrain

Then nothing is changed on map, so what am I missing here ?

Did you change any parameters in the road integration plugin?

TP heightfield: road integration works fine for me, after a little tweaking of the settings depending on the terrain the roads were on:

Roads on steeper ground I exported a seperate shapefile for those roads and created setting for those in the plugin that gave me the best look in-game.

Roads on flatter ground I exported in a seperate shapefile for those roads and again created a different setting in the plugin.

Example results of roads on steeper terrain:

PZHVrQ.jpg

• Like 2

I have dabbled with TP but haven't had a big return in it's use( probably should look into it more). On my terrain, I used L3DT and it's bulldozer tool to edit my heightfield. It has a handy dandy bulldozer tool that you can use to pave the way on your terrain for roadways. 

• Like 1

When you go to import your asc into TP, make sure you are using the heightmap from your mapframe. So you have to export the heightmap from your mapframe. Note: You might not have to export it from there but that always works for me

I do know that the devs over at L3dt are working on a road mapping tool to be intergrated into an update at some point. AFAIK, its being worked on but couldn't tell you when it will be released. 

http://www.bundysoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4124

Also what you can do in L3DT is edit your terrain whilst looking at your Satmap. 

1. file/import/new map Layer

2. find your map and make sure it is the same size as your height map. L3dt will do 4096x4096 no problem, make sure your map is the same size or you'll get funny goings on.

3. Once you have selected a your sat image a new dialogue box appears. In the drop down box named Layer Type: select RGB Colour. Press Ok.

you will then see you sat map in L3DT no problem. 

4. Press the 3D mode button to load up Sapphire and you get a green heightmap in 3d. you then need to Options/Terrain/se;ect texture. 

your sat map is now an optional map to overlay onto your heightmap in 3d. Press ok, your sat is now on your terrain.

5. Press 'h' to bring up your brush set. your Sat is gone! oh no!, whilst your brush set is open you go back to options/ terrain/select texture and choose your sat map again. 

pick a brush and edit away whilst looking at your sat. 

You can easily define your roads using this process. But rest assured, your resolution may not be that good, unless your have a really high res sat image. 

• Like 1

Jakerods suggestion works for me:

When you go to import your asc into TP, make sure you are using the heightmap from your mapframe. So you have to export the heightmap from your mapframe. Note: You might not have to export it from there but that always works for me

It might have to with map coordinates. Where your .asc that you imported into TB has the old coordinates in it and then you move it to E-200000 and N-0. 

And your shapefile is trying to be applied to that E-200000 and N-0, but your asc still has the old coordinates.

And by exporting from TB on your .asc the new coordinates are applied and the shapefile now will have the same coordinates and be applied correctly.

Hopefully that made some sense, also if im wrong on any of this please correct me. Nothing worse then bad info.

I might add this:

When you right click on newly imported .asc file properties under Layers you need to reset Easting back from 0 to 200000. Be aware: if "Terrain coordinates & properties" is grayed out that means you need to shut down Buldozer first 😉