Phantoms

Controller Settings screen

I understand Sensitivity and Dead Zone.

What is the setting (V)?

What are the curves displayed along the top and how are they adjusted?

curve_zpsnwtku6ox.jpg

Often wondered that myself. I play with controller, but I started using Xpadder so I can bind everything to the controller.

• Like 2

I use Xpadder and have a remarkable profile based off of Existential Egg's. Here's a full video showing its power:

I've added a dedicated walk and combat stance toggle using the B button (on an XBOX 360 controller). I also needed to change the throwables toggle in the in game bindings.

Here's my edited profile if you want it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk1bu4a91xlgal5/Arma3%20ExistentialEgg%2001.xpadderprofile?dl=0

Just be warned Xpadder will cost you $10 USD but it's worth every penny.

The only thing I need to keyboard for is commanding AI. Everything else you can possibly imagine you can do with this otherwise. It's very rare when I need the keyboard and mouse while actually playing.

• Like 2

I guess no one knows what these two things are for.

I use Xpadder and have a remarkable profile based off of Existential Egg's. Here's a full video showing its power:

I've added a dedicated walk and combat stance toggle using the B button (on an XBOX 360 controller). I also needed to change the throwables toggle in the in game bindings.

Here's my edited profile if you want it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk1bu4a91xlgal5/Arma3%20ExistentialEgg%2001.xpadderprofile?dl=0

Just be warned Xpadder will cost you $10 USD but it's worth every penny.

The only thing I need to keyboard for is commanding AI. Everything else you can possibly imagine you can do with this otherwise. It's very rare when I need the keyboard and mouse while actually playing.

I use his profile too-its awesome :)

Yeah-it seems these controller settings are a mystery....

I use his profile too-its awesome :)

Yeah-it seems these controller settings are a mystery....

That's because nobody has ever used them because they aren't designed to let you actually play the game. :)

No joke the default controller scheme won't even get you past the virtual section of the prologue. I'm not kidding.

Yeah Existential Egg's profile is killer. And he's a cool dude too. We've chatted in the comments on Kotaku occasionally and he's a riot.

That's because nobody has ever used them because they aren't designed to let you actually play the game. :)

No joke the default controller scheme won't even get you past the virtual section of the prologue. I'm not kidding.

I actually played the entire campaign with a controller using the default game settings.  :) I had a keyboard in front of me for things like squad commands etc, but I played through the whole campaign with no issues. i now have 2,300 hours of Arma-all of it with controller-but I use xpadder now.

I actually played the entire campaign with a controller using the default game settings.  :) I had a keyboard in front of me for things like squad commands etc, but I played through the whole campaign with no issues. i now have 2,300 hours of Arma-all of it with controller-but I use xpadder now.

Hmmm. I was pretty green back when I tried to use the default controller setup.

I remember not being able to figure out how to pull out my compass in the first 30 seconds of the mission. :)

Downloaded Xpadder and never looked back. I have 1,000 hours now. Xpadder with Arma is incredible.

• Like 1

I use the Arma3 profile for the keyboard and it seems alright. For the controllers (CH Combat Stick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals) I used the controller setup picking the schemes for these items. Then I had to manually adjust dead zones and sensitivities, but it was enough to get me going flying helis until I could map the remainder of the buttons as I wished.

I was just curious as to why there are curve screens along the top as there doesn't seem to be anything to adjust them. And also what the V values affect.

The curves on top represent the change in sensitivity for the sliders under it. This is similar to controls-settings for RC-helicopters:

Less sensitive still allows you to use the full range, but input-controls at the middle have less steering effect and at the extremes have more effect. This allows for better control in the center-area. In RC-terms this is described as 'Expo' or Exponential.

Linear controls (straight line) will have the same amount off steering effect over the whole range. You can guess the last one.

This video will explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU51E5ilG0.

The 'V'-setting is in fact a drop-down menu to define the multiplication-factor of the input, which will limit the effective range of motion (RoM) of your controller.

With a factor of 2.0 full steering will be reached at 50% motion (2.0 x 50% = 100%). Inputs outside the 50%-circle are not used or 'clipped'.

This allows you to use dime-size inputs for full control, especially useful for realistic helicopter-steering.

I'll try to add some pictures/graphics later.

• Like 2