R3vo

LOD Discussion

I've got these weird black lines covering almost any object during LOD change for at least half a second, really sucks on vehicles 5m in front of me after doing camera changes (UAV control, Zeus, you name it)

Cheers

Feeling that LOD pain too guys!......been playing on Altis a lot lately and it's just burning my eyes atm. I hope it's addressed, and a fix is found soon.

My current solution is a combination of benson's mid-range textures and Terrain detail set to low (full beans on everthing else)....gives Altis a nice "dry and dusty" feel. :eyeheart:

• Like 2

Even the dirt is doing the same thing in your video. :(

I know you're using low settings but still. It's like there's a circle around you where everything is crystal clear and the rest of the ground looks like garbage.

A good suggestion by Haleks. Off to Thirsk Winter until the grass is fixed.

Even the dirt is doing the same thing in your video. :(

I know you're using low settings but still. It's like there's a circle around you where everything is crystal clear and the rest of the ground looks like garbage.

that is the nature of LOD though. i agree on the clutter having changed and being waaaay to abvious and early with the LOD switches but let's keep the nitpicking reasonable. detail HAS to drop at some point. it's the nature of how things work...in any game engine for that matter.

i think i have posted this suggestion before, most likely in here, but i feel like we need control over the LOD switch mechanisms through graphics settings. whatever the automated algorithm is, it is not working well. i know there is a shift in priorities in the team and all that bla bla and i don't want to be too dramatic but this issue is right in everyone's faces. it needs attention.

i feel with all the options and being able to crank up view distance to, for most systems, unhealthy ranges that we really need control over this. even if just with terrain configs or script commands. if BIS is not able or willing to find the sweet spot (differs from system to system anyways) then give us the tools to do so. that would make sense even without this glaring issue, imho.

• Like 4

Yeah I understand. Thanks for clarifying. But what I don't get is why I'm suddenly noticing this. I think something has changed. I mean I'm not trying to be dramatic here. Altis is, for me, literally unplayable. I mean that. The grass isn't filling it's upclose model in until you're literally right on top of it.

I think something is broken and someone should open a ticket.

• Like 3

The LOD disco moved from far away to right in front of your feet - party on :D It's time for a John Travolta GIF.

This and the grassless trees - but when you walk closer, grass is everywhere - pretty much annoys me. I know, LOD changes, performace, yadda yadda, but still. Open terrains with grass are just a problem.

But as has been mentioned, a sweet spot has to be found, some balancing with video settings. Because especially on Altis, I don't need 80 FPS in open terrain with above problems. Would be happy with 50 FPS, but less problems.

• Like 6

that is the nature of LOD though. i agree on the clutter having changed and being waaaay to abvious and early with the LOD switches but let's keep the nitpicking reasonable. detail HAS to drop at some point. it's the nature of how things work...in any game engine for that matter.

i think i have posted this suggestion before, most likely in here, but i feel like we need control over the LOD switch mechanisms through graphics settings. whatever the automated algorithm is, it is not working well. i know there is a shift in priorities in the team and all that bla bla and i don't want to be too dramatic but this issue is right in everyone's faces. it needs attention.

i feel with all the options and being able to crank up view distance to, for most systems, unhealthy ranges that we really need control over this. even if just with terrain configs or script commands. if BIS is not able or willing to find the sweet spot (differs from system to system anyways) then give us the tools to do so. that would make sense even without this glaring issue, imho.

Agreed, detail has to drop, it's just the way it is currently dropping.

Having all settings on ultra and still both rotors from the blackfish disappear at a distance where they should still be visible for a long time is just the tip of the iceberg.

Cheers

• Like 2

The lod issue is glaring. definitely needs addressing. And the suggestions are interesting regards settings. Hopefully there will be some more information in next report.

yea. the grass is simply broken. i meant the dirt texture thing that HeroesandvillainsOS mentioned is more of a thing we have to live with because the parallax shader is probably disabled at a certain distance. and arma has also pretty aggressive mipmapping i think which makes sense with how far stuff is rendered i guess.

just clarifying. i'm 100% with you on the clutter. it's also not like it improved performance or something. just looks worse.

• Like 5

Now that the LOD switching is mostly much smoother than before, putting object quality to LOW seems to result in much lower impact on graphics quality, given that the lower poly LODs are better hidden by the new tech.

This setting can result in a very high amount of stuttering/frame-pacing issues, especially on HDDs. I think the devs have a chance here to make the game run smoother across the board by tweaking the object quality settings. Ultra doesn't seem to be needed anymore, at least to me. 

• Like 1

Whatever, it will not be fixed. Looks like they like finish features in 70% and leave it till next part of game. Most is issues reported with 1.62 about visuals are not fixed, and there is nowhere mentioned they gonna touch it, for me LOD issues and some brighter area around me is destroying gameplay in terms of visual. Grass, vehicles, even static objects, everything is touched by LOD issue, and terrain is touched by bright area around me (sat imagesf fault i think) :
Best visible here (CUP maps, but also hapening on vanilla (check my playlist)

Seriously, i have enough of those bugs and ignorantion of developers in these cases.

I honestly don't really care that much that this happens when you're driving in a vehicle. LOD's always have been a bit wonky when traveling that fast. 

What is really unusual here, is that it's also occurring when walking on foot, and to me that is devastating and demonstrates just how high-priority this bug should be.

All you need to do is plop a vanilla soldier down on Altis and start walking. I'd be stunned if they weren't aware of this internally so we can only hope they address it at some point in the near future.

Since Apex the game has many LOD issues, from textures, buildings, grass and scrub pop and change. The game always had some level of pop in and lod levels changing but they are so much worse now. Buildings will swap to low level lods when you move closer to them and then snap back to high. Some lods will flicker causing buildings to flicker or trees.

My biggest problem is the grass and scrub lod changes constantly all around you. It just looks broken. The grass change shape constantly, the shadows go in and out, the quality of the lods never gets any better they just change shape really. They could just stick to one slightly lower state LOD and no one would mind if it meant there was not the constant changing under your feet and it may improve performance.

• Like 3

It's is highly regrettable that the issue has not been seriously tackled. It's not one to let slide for the time being. 

• Like 2

The LODs have always been bad in Arma but since Apex they are broken totally. It does need looking into and fixing as it is not just grasses, its the trees, buildings and rocks now.

Im going to try and put a video together of the issues. Arma has gone back to Alpha tech demo not a released game.

• Like 1

it is the broken lods that are causing the stuttering and hitches. You can clearly see when a lod changes happen it has a little stutter. Devs the lod system is broken and needs a rethink.

• Like 2

it is the broken lods that are causing the stuttering and hitches. You can clearly see when a lod changes happen it has a little stutter. Devs the lod system is broken and needs a rethink.

• Like 1

• Like 1

@Ray Solar I fully agree with you man, but try to write all in one post, there is "EDIT" option next to "quote".

Also i think its not gonna be fixed anyway. Sad but true.

12 hours ago, Ray Solar said:

maybe they will once the 64bit version rollout.

8D8AD9DC2F58408881A92806B1ABAC2F6E2285F7Just to add to the list of lod issues. Might have been noted.  But alot of the "tin" shack houses on Tanoa are staying flash white when flying over.  This happens at low altitudes fast or slow. 

Repro. Editor- spawn a heli-fly over Tanouka.

Dev branch 1.67.140099. 64 bit. no parameters. 

• Like 1