R3vo

LOD Discussion

Is there any changes made to LOD in dev build or improvements FPS drops are making it unplayable on Tanoa & Altis since 1.62

for me it way unplayable since the visual update patch (1.60?) with advanced mutli-threading support turned on. lots of mciro stuttering...

i deactivated advanced multi-threading in launcher advanced parameters (back to default) and now it runs smoother than ever.

i am runnign an overclocked i7 860. i think that's a second generation i7 a.k.a. a pretty old one...

Trees and grass in Tanoa are rendering like the picture below. Does is render like this for anyone else. Thanks!

5WZb8Rz.jpg

That is 1.62 bug. I had the same problems on altis with some trees. Also some trees renders different very ugly way - like a lot of squares.

@DEVs - you need another pass at the ground clutter as it is really bad at the moment.  The changing LOD at around 3-4m is just immersion breaking (I'm not even going to talk about the change in colour of the broad leafed plants!)  Please give us the ability either a) push this clutter circle out to 20m b ) find a new method to make it an 'invisible' change!

There are so many positives with Tanoa that ground clutter is spoiling it.

• Like 4

This is the reason I'm avoiding the jungle area. Seeing all the popping and shape swifting in the jungle just makes me feel meh!

Just a few more bad LOD examples since the 1.62.x update...

All on the island Stratis (I'm yet to capture anything on Tanoa)

I've also noticed that if you damage a vehicle, it flashes WHITE, then back to one of the LOD's... not needed, very distracting, looks ugly. Not sure what other objects are affected like this by damaging it.

I'm still not happy with the LOD's though, the inconsistent/unneeded/very-noticable LOD changing along with the pixelated cross-hatching blend effect spoils the visuals and the immersion for me... whatever the mission/mod/map.

-soul.

• Like 1

This is the reason I'm avoiding the jungle area. Seeing all the popping and shape swifting in the jungle just makes me feel meh!

I also wish they can do something against the lod popping right in front of our feet. But I prefer it (if it is the price, we have to pay, performance wise) over the LOD disco which we had before (far away on/off popping). I'm fine with that blend effect in the distance. I guess it is a ressource cheap effect. If you do not look exactly on it, the whole scenery looks more stable and not as nervous as before.
  • Like 4

^^Agree that from about 1-4 metres is pretty poor.  Please let us have full LOD immediately for a 10m ring around us.

So...my LOD Problem looks like the second, third an fourth video in soulkobks post...i cant even explain...Textures look like a "grid" and need some time to recover. Its driving me nuts

http://plays.tv/video/57cddfa30d4c8cb0b7/what-the-fuck-lod-problem-since-tanoa-update

Specs:

Win10

Intel I7 4790K

AMD Radeon R9 280x

Latest and older Catalyst Drivers tested

Reinstalling the game didnt help

Any ideas?

That's intended, it the new technology that was implemented recently which smoothly changes the lods of objects. Before that it was an instant change of lods which was very harsh to the eyes.

so i set my terrain detail to ultra the other day because i thought that might increase clutter pop distance. no luck. can anyone confirm that that has no effect? curious if it's maybe still auto scaled according to my system.

maybe that could be a good tool to control clutter popping? tying it to terrain settings. i dunno. i just feel that i need more control. we already have a lot but this one is too in your face to not be able to do anything about it.

so i set my terrain detail to ultra the other day because i thought that might increase clutter pop distance. no luck. can anyone confirm that that has no effect? curious if it's maybe still auto scaled according to my system.

maybe that could be a good tool to control clutter popping? tying it to terrain settings. i dunno. i just feel that i need more control. we already have a lot but this one is too in your face to not be able to do anything about it.

I'm encountering this heavily now, at first it was just Tanoa but now it's on Altis. I recorded this video today and it is unbearable:

• Like 1

i feel like in the jungle the clutter is popping less though.

+1

For me it's a huge improvement on Tanoa, using Ultra. Haven't tried Altis with 1.64 yet...

I think BIS still needs help with their LOD changes... I was "hoping" (one can hope right?) that the LOD issues were being addressed... sure the 'fade' between LOD's is somewhat better overall, but in the process, it has made some LOD's much more noticeable.

TBCH, I have absolutely no idea as to why there is so much difference between layers in the way of brightness/saturation... as only the "detail" is suppose to change right... nothing more?

Anyway... here's some screen shot comparisons of a quick 10 minutes in Arma 3 1.64 on the map Stratis...

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/185460

The 4th comparison is the AI's backpack just up the hill from me (a bit hard to see at first), the brightness of it increases at further distance.

The close-up LOD changes of foliage and grasses are extremely annoying though... and TBQH, those should only need one LOD, nothing more, as they come-and-go so quickly, whether in-vehicle or on-foot... we don't need those high-resolution.

I'm sure I'll find more LOD issues as I continue to play the game.

-soul.

+1

For me it's a huge improvement on Tanoa, using Ultra. Haven't tried Altis with 1.64 yet...

when you say "Ultra". does that mean terrain detail?

I'm encountering this heavily now, at first it was just Tanoa but now it's on Altis. I recorded this video today and it is unbearable

Definitely not fixed on Altis, nothing different after 1.64 and still as annoying.

Tested before/after - Any Terrain settings made no difference.

when you say "Ultra". does that mean terrain detail?

Yes, I'm able to run max (with limited VD of course) on everything. On Altis the LOD switches are quite noticable also for me and the very low res on distant pine trees is really bad if using optics.

/KC

Ugh, the LOD switching of bushes and grass on Altis - and right in front of your feet - is pretty heavy and hardly bearable. I wish they could be more stable.

• Like 7

Ugh, the LOD switching of bushes and grass on Altis - and right in front of your feet - is pretty heavy and hardly bearable. I wish they could be more stable.

Yeah it should definitely be top of a list. Very very immersion breaking.

• Like 1

Oh haha! Apparently people are talking about this. :)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/198351-unbearable-pop-in-with-grass-and-bushes-high-fps-anything-i-can-do/

I'm on stable but the spirit of the thread is identical. What the hell happened?

It's horrendous. It started to become really noticable at the same time as the visual update. A dev claimed it was unrelated, but if you see any of the comparison shots from the old lighting to the new, there were clearly changes to some of the clutter objects.

• Like 1

I think it's going to be desert or snow terrains for me until the devs fix this for good...

• Like 3