swoop

1.60 visuals are a step back.

imho everything looks a bit pale now... all the nice color has gone...

it could have been a bit more intensity before too...

this reminds me of the first soundupdate when the weaponsounds were really awful until the second(last) soundupdate made it much better again...

Might be a silly question, but is everyone aware that there's (new, introduced in this patch?) Brightness, Contrast and Saturation settings under PP&AA tab, they can have a dramatic impact on how the game looks.

• Like 3

Might be a silly question, but is everyone aware that there's (new, introduced in this patch?) Brightness, Contrast and Saturation settings under PP&AA tab, they can have a dramatic impact on how the game looks.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...this a knee-jerk complaint area where no-one looks to all the hard work and effort being made by a gaming company to improve a title for FREE. There should be no personal responsibility to continue with personal preferences.

That is so old school.

• Like 6

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...this a knee-jerk complaint area where no-one looks to all the hard work and effort being made by a gaming company to improve a title for FREE. There should be no personal responsibility to continue with personal preferences.

That is so old school.

Oh snap, my bad!  :sulkoff:

• Like 1

If all of this has purely affected custom made maps, that alone is not cool, as I would imagine a lot of map authors are not going to be inclined to go back and fix stuff when they have more/less walked away from their finished projects.

This is the nature of modding.

To anyone who thinks the new lighting is good:  (repost from dev forum)

Chemlights, flares and a flashlight are useless now

Well at least the chemlight work as intendedn now...those things dont emit a lot of visible light and especially red and blue ones are not suited for illumination. To light up a room you need 3-4 Chemlights RL. A single blue one is only used for example ti read a map etc and is considered a dimmed, conccealed light. Unfortunately we cant use them that way.

Everyone here do realize that 1.60 has been up for open testing the last two weeks? For steam users its basically one click and you can test the upcoming release weeks in advance with any mod you like. Personally I like the new update. Some issues with dark nights and flares etc. but the changes will also probably give modders more options for future stuff.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/183855-release-candidate-branch-announcements/

Yep, these 3 settings have dramatic impact. Some of the con´s here mentioned you can compensate a little bit:

-against pitch black corners indoors reduce HBAO-Quality.

-against washed out far away raise brightness (118), contrast (104) and saturation (102). Be sure there are no "modes" active in the monitor and its well calibrated.

I hope the rest is tweaking by bis.

I am overall (with a lot of minor exceptions) happy with the new visuals :)

Well, I join the "haters" on this one; the visual update does make it look less attractive. Colours go weird and there is something strange with the lighting.

No matter what I try with the settings (yes, I tried all, including brightness, Contrast and Saturation), but the changes that made the game look weird stay, no matter wich settings.

Hope BI will fix it.

Sadly, I have to agree - the new Instagram Filters Pack DLC visual update is indeed quite disappointing. There are several technical improvements but the end result simply doesn't even mildly resemble the world I see with my own eyes and that kinda defeats the whole purpose of these improvements.

And yes, I've tried to play around with Postprocess values, all to no avail.

• Like 1

Overall I like the visual update. Clouds and water are outstanding improvements. Contrast is much improved.

There are obvious bugs though (night stuff), there is more texture flickering, in some light conditions it feels a bit over-the-top saturated to me.

A bit of tweaking from BIS side, a bit of tweaking on my sliders and for me its fine.

Everyone here do realize that 1.60 has been up for open testing the last two weeks? For steam users its basically one click and you can test the upcoming release weeks in advance with any mod you like. Personally I like the new update. Some issues with dark nights and flares etc. but the changes will also probably give modders more options for future stuff.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/183855-release-candidate-branch-announcements/

so you want to tell us with your post that all the testers of pre 1.60 are colorblind... because they havent reported it before...

not everyone likes to test pre-releases... and change around the versions up to test and down again to play on normal servers... so you cant blame us all... ^^

If the game looks bleached, change your saturation in settings. If it looks too bright, change your brightness or gamma. You can literally make the game look like it used to with those settings. If you find building edges and corners too dark, look at your HBAO+ settings. All this can be changed on the fly.

• Like 1

As I already said, in dev it only took us a short time to take the habit and realise that the game is better this way.

Only shadows are missing some intensity (aside of chem lights/flares).

If the game looks bleached, change your saturation in settings. If it looks too bright, change your brightness or gamma. You can literally make the game look like it used to with those settings. If you find building edges and corners too dark, look at your HBAO+ settings. All this can be changed on the fly.

No you can't make it like it looked before because materials, camoflage and terrain don't have matching colours anymore. All camo patterns are to bright now. The CSAT pattern even looks like what we used to paint our vehicles in winter. (white Chalk splotches) The arid full Ghillie suit is basically ivory white with lime green stripes. You can se it clearly on the Cyrus Hex camoflage pattrn...what used to be coyote tan is ivory white now. Additionally the surfaces are not matt like military camo paint but semigloss to shiny.

• Like 2

No you can't make it like it looked before because materials, camoflage and terrain don't have matching colours anymore. All camo patterns are to bright now. The CSAT pattern even looks like what we used to paint our vehicles in winter. (white Chalk splotches) The arid full Ghillie suit is basically ivory white with lime green stripes. You can se it clearly on the Cyrus Hex camoflage pattrn...what used to be coyote tan is ivory white now.

True you can't bring the old visuals back regardless of how much you tweak the game.

• Like 1

Daytime the visuals are stunning but night feels like you've cranked the ambient light down far too much, a moonless night is the same as a full moon currently.

This is a particular annoyance for me as I'm a fan of low-tech night missions with no NVGs and now that seems impossible without a lot of flashlights and modded flares

• Like 1

The visuals are purely an HDR update. Here's the changes: 

(I don't get grainy houses, weirdly) 

The HBAO (ambient Occlusion) is set to max black, the new HDR renderer means max black isn't used indoors anymore at daytime. So you get weird shadows when using HBAO (solution: Turn off HBAO, switch to HDAO medium or Off for the time being) - Dev solution would be to adaptively change the HBAO black level based on lighting conditions or globally increase the black level to grey it out.

Midrange texture range was reduced to 1/3rd of before (no idea why)

LOD's are now streamlined, means sometimes you'll get increased pop-ins (but better performance)

HDR is now photo-realistic in terms of light level compression @ daytime. Yaaaaaay.

Colouration is *fixed*, yaaay (no more neon ocean and purple sky)

Sunlight has been tweaked, no more radiant pink fog at sunrise/sunset. (Yaaaay)

Under water (amazing)

Terrain lighting parameters now have much larger impact - so badly configured terrains will look shit until they get patched.

Object lighting parameters (and mismatch between e.g. buildings and terrain lighting parameters) have a larger impact, so differences can look awful if materials are meant to match.

In summary: Lots of aesthetic changes (the new lighting), new bugs associated with them (AO issues mainly for me), mod maps need to be patched like CUP has done in order to make use of the lighting properly. Some performance improvements. Overall a great patch :)

The main issue for me seems to be the lighting issue (shadows not dark enough on objects compared to terrain). I've found it exists on many OFFICIAL ASSETS!!!! Lighting is not consistent amongst official assets or mod assets currently.

To look at an asset done right, take the concrete construction buildings littered around altis/stratis, shadows are the same brightness as shadows on concrete ground outside, some shadows are baked in (turn off AO).

however electrical boxes and (some, not all) trees have almost no difference in shading between bright, sunlit sections and shadowed sections, whilst some shadows are baked in others are clearly not.

More objects with brightness issues: Pallet of bricks, shipping containers, white freco walled buildings (all are too bright in shadows, appear to "glow") 

Many grasses used in mods also suffer from shading issues, creating weak looking shadows  - terrains themselves (the various textures for detail mid and sat) need their brightnesses adjusted. Almost the entirity of A2/A1 assets via AiA and CUP are lit incorrectly. This will take a lot of work or a batch change or something.

• Like 1

The water reflecting things it shouldn't is simply just revealling problems with reflectivity and some things 'showing' through other objects simply because of underlying engine issues that had to do with physX. Much the same way that light magically goes through walls (and glows on all wall 'faces' except the one thats directly opposite of the lightsource). 

I do agree that the ghille suits do not match the terrain anymore and could use some tweaking so they match once again.

Here's an old post of mine detailing aperture changes and how they could affect the nighttime lighting, the key point being that a correctly configured aperture at nighttime with full moon look pretty darn good in dev build lighting

http://i.imgur.com/wTPmB2n.jpg

Link to post: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/189808-visual-upgrade-%E2%80%93-feedback/?view=findpost&p=3010301