rekkless

What can we do with ArmA 2 Maps Now?

So as most of us have noticed while the 1.60 render is pretty amazing it is causing many problems with older maps.

Now the CUP Guys have already updated CUP Terrains and while I thought that would be a blanket fix for all CUP Terrains required 3rd party maps like Fallujah, Podagorsk, Caribou Frontier to name a few, it actually seems that their patch only fixes their maps.

So it seems maps need to be fixed on a map by map basis.

Now this is ok for currently supported ArmA 3 maps like Panthera, Esseker, N'Ziwasogo and Bornholm.

But what can be done (if anything) for the older ArmA 2 maps that from what I can see haven't been supported since ArmA 2?

It would be a terrible shame to see such fantastic maps be lost to the winds of time (or ArmA updates) because they are no longer supported.

Is it really a case of waiting to see if someone wants to port the maps to A3 one by one and we just sit and wait or is there or will there be a blanket solution to fix the old ArmA 2 maps?

It is fixable as a config. Evro malarky and metal craze said they would address this at some point. If they don't I'm sure someone will...

It is fixable as a config. Evro malarky and metal craze said they would address this at some point. If they don't I'm sure someone will...

Absolutely right. The masterminds behind the CUP lighting are already working on hotfixes for the community terrains.

Evro will most likely release an updated ASCZ A2 Map Fixes very soon and I am sure that CUP TP will include said fixes in the next update. 

The config for community terrains were just not included in the latest CUP TP update because we didn't had time to test all community maps and write updated lighting for them.

• Like 1

Thanks to MetalCraze for the heads up in the dev branch thread last week, the following small config will give you default A3 lighting with a correct skybox, but only if you are using the latest 1.10 CUP Terrains:

Here's an example for Dyala

{
class DYALA_LIGHTING_FIX
{
units[]={};
weapons[]={};
requiredVersion=0.1;
requiredAddons[]=
{
"CUP_Worlds"
};
};
};

class CfgWorlds
{
class DefaultLighting;
class DefaultWorld;
class CAWorld;
class DYA: CAWorld
{
delete Weather;
delete Lighting;
}; 
};

Change DYA to the worldname of the map you are interested in, or add additional specific worldname classes. Here's the config I use for various maps:

class CfgPatches
{
class TPW_LIGHTING_FIX
{
units[]={};
weapons[]={};
requiredVersion=0.1;
requiredAddons[]=
{
"CUP_Worlds"
};
};
};

class CfgWorlds
{
class DefaultLighting;
class DefaultWorld;
class CAWorld;
class DYA: CAWorld
{
delete Weather;
delete Lighting;
}; 
class pja305: CAWorld
{
delete Weather;
delete Lighting;
}; 
class pja306: CAWorld
{
delete Weather;
delete Lighting;
}; 
class pja307: CAWorld
{
delete Weather;
delete Lighting;
};  
class kunduz: CAWorld
{
delete Weather;
delete Lighting;
};  
};

Use binpbo to pack the config up into a pbo, drop the pbo into eg @CUPS_Terrains\addons\, and you're golden. 

• Like 2

Use binpbo to pack the config up into a pbo, drop the pbo into eg @CUPS_Terrains\addons\, and you're golden.

Please don't drop it in @CUP_Terrains but in a new @something folder. People will forget they have that pbo and wondern when the next TP update arrives why there is no new lighting/sky is black/everything is burning/bees everywhere/etc

I'm not saying there aren't any issues, but I haven't seen anything wrong with several 3rd party non-CUP maps such as Podagorsk, Fallujah, Celle 2, and Esseker.  The only issues I've seen so far are with IceBreakr's maps, which have the bugged sky.

I'm not saying there aren't any issues, but I haven't seen anything wrong with several 3rd party non-CUP maps such as Podagorsk, Fallujah, Celle 2, and Esseker.  The only issues I've seen so far are with IceBreakr's maps, which have the bugged sky.

It depends on how they derive their base class (if it is derived from another class at all).

Alternatively you can PM me the name of a map that specifically requires CUP, is no longer updated (e.g. author abandoned it or it's from ArmA2 era) and has issues with clouds/black fog/black underwater fog etc and I will try to fix the issue for the next CUP Terrains patch (which probably will be soon-ish).

Just make sure it's only ArmA3 1.60 and CUP 1.1.0 you are loading with that map, so nothing else is causing the issue

• Like 3

Yeah. I was using Isla Abramia yesterday and it has those problems. Icebreakr is pretty good about fixing shit quickly, so maybe he'll fix the configs himself in the coming week or two

Tropicali* ruins at Zendir crossing after apocalypse 1.60 release.

zKunlHm.jpg

*Tropicali is an Arma2 terrain based upon [ADO] Tropica island just finished the day Arma3 Alpha was released and never released publicly ... but played in my Clan with CUP.

I was working on it just before IT happens

• Like 2

It depends on how they derive their base class (if it is derived from another class at all).

Do you happen to know what exactly broke in the custom maps with the upgrade?

@ vking : the Visual Upgrade released in 1.60 is deeply modifying Arma 3's lighting and visuals.

The previous system used since Arma3 Alpha was basically the same that the one used in Arma2 with different values in terrains configs modifying weather and lighting.

The lighting modifiers for each terrains being more and more complex, a complete overhaul of the system have been done.

Now, on custom maps neither the lighting effects nor the weather modifiers are working the right way, so we get that blackened horizon, black clouds and strange colored light. 

Do you happen to know what exactly broke in the custom maps with the upgrade?

When parameter "skyColorInfluencesFogColor" is set to 0 (which is a part of visual update) - fog starts requiring an alpha channel value that old configs do not provide. Thus you get black horizon.

e.g. old way was fogColor[] = {r,g,b} , now it's fogColor[] = {{r,g,b},a}. So all classes under lightingNew have to be updated with that in mind.

This however lets you have fog color different from sky color which allows for much better sky looks versus old overly blueish fog - as if sky mixes with earth

Another change is new TrueSky settings for better clouds found in class simulWeather

*Tropicali is an Arma2 terrain based upon [ADO] Tropica island just finished the day Arma3 Alpha was released and never released publicly ... but played in my Clan with CUP.

I was working on it just before IT happens

Does Tropicali inherit settings from ADO Tropica (e.g. requiring it?)

If yes - does ADO Tropica have issues?

Either way post here or PM me the class name of the map (like Tropicali: CAWorld - the bit after : is important too) and maybe a simple config fix will be enough and I will add it to upcoming CUP patch

@ metalcraze : thanks for offering help!

[tired old bear mode on] ... unable to master the new tools, I am still using Visitor3. I have never been at ease with scripting my terrain configs and most of their working parts are from Kju or Bushlurker.[tired old bear mode off]

Well, no, ADO Tropicali .cpp inherit nothing from ADO Tropica.

It starts like that ...

class CfgWorlds
{
    class DefaultWorld
    {
        class Weather;
    };
    class CAWorld: DefaultWorld
    {
        class Grid{};
        class DayLightingBrightAlmost;
        class DayLightingRainy;
        class DefaultClutter;
        class Weather: Weather
        {
            class Lighting;
        };
    };
    class DefaultLighting;
    class Tropicali: CAWorld

Before all, I must say that using updated "CUP Terrains 1.1.0 Complete" bring back a better visual situation on most of my Arma2 Terrains.

Thanks again to CUP Team for this great job.

I believe, I must build up a bunch of specific .cpp in order to allow all my Arma2 terrains to be played in Arma3.

I have started by adding  "pictureMap" and suppressing Arma2 Intro

Now I will get back to my main concern before "it", how to get dust and ground particles activated for running units and vehicles.

I have tried IceBreakr patch without effect.

I will be happy to get some help once all the fuss around this release calms down a bit.

I will PM.

Sun rising over Tropicali at Zendir crossing this very morning

KkCuqSQ.jpg

It is actually a shame many of the map makers of some of the those iconic Arma 2 maps aren't around anymore to do a proper A3 port now.

Maps like Tavianna, Namalsk, Fallujah, Podagorsk, Thirsk and Caribou Frontier really need a good A3 port. hint hint CUP Terrains crew. Maybe a CUP Terrains Additional Map Pack??!!?!?!

It is actually a shame many of the map makers of some of the those iconic Arma 2 maps aren't around anymore to do a proper A3 port now.

Maps like Tavianna, Namalsk, Fallujah, Podagorsk, Thirsk and Caribou Frontier really need a good A3 port. hint hint CUP Terrains crew. Maybe a CUP Terrains Additional Map Pack??!!?!?!

I guess someone could make some tiny cfg addon that addresses only the sky problem for these maps without causing any kind of huge controversy over modding other people's content without permission. (Although Falluja seems to inherit from an already fixed map, I played it the other day & the sky was fine.)