digitalgeo

Disaster at OFFICIAL servers after 1.60

Dear Developers, 

The recent 1.60 update has made official BI servers hugely popular, since they got their own tab in server browser. I like the fact that more people are playing ZEUS and END GAME, but it has been a disaster. 

First of all, you can no longer vote admin or vote kick while the mission is running. Before 1.60, this was possible. It's now impossible to kick team killers and bad zeus's. We NEED to be able to vote admins and kick people so the session is not ruined. This has happened on multiple games, specifically Zeus. Urgently change this back. 

The recent popularity has also attracted frequent hackers. I thought these servers were battleeye protected? At some point, all the servers were unplayable because of hacking, meaning everyone was dying as soon as they spawned.

Save the official servers! 

Thanks

• Like 2

same config used before and after 1.60 on all officials servers in relation to voting

allowedVoteCmds[] = {
{"admin", true, false, 0.6},
{"missions", true, "false", "0.5"},
{"mission", true, false, "0.5"}, // 
{"kick", true, false, 0.6},
{"restart", false, true, 0.75}, // 
{"reassign", false, true, 0.75}
};
allowedVotedAdminCmds[] = {
{"mission", true, true}, //
{"missions", true, true}, //
{"restart", true, true}, //
{"reassign", true, true}, //
{"kick", true, true} //
};
for details as per https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg#Server_Voting

so, if it's broken now then it would indicate some bug

---

in relation to cheating (via in-engine scripting)

it's nearly impossible to protect via BattlEye filters any ZeuS server (as you can do nearly anything in terms of scripting/events/functions/objects)

and to write BE server-side and client-side filter s for official Endgame and similar missions isn't simple-task either

(it changed a lot each release, it uses a lot of Remote Exec etc. so it's really PITA to cover as easily as e.g. KOTH, WASTELAND or BattleRoyale)

and incorrectly made or too strict BattlEye settings / filters will break the gamemodes / missions

anyway I changed the ZeuS to allow vote-kicking in mid of mission

{"kick", true, true, 0.85},
yet I bet someone soon will complain about vote spam ;)
  • Like 2

The fix is a huge relief, thanks Dwarden  :D

Could you help the official end game servers as well? The vote problem extends there too. 

I haven't tested, but has vote admin been changed?

I too share the pain of writing missions that are hack proof. It's difficult!

1) Would you consider another layer of protection at least? eg. scripted anti hack? 

For example, from the hackers I've observed, they need a key press, an addAction or a radio message added to themselves to initiate a hack, and it is possible to run a script to detect extra assigned keys and remove unwanted actions and radio missions. It may not protect all hacks, but at least it protects from some hacks (mass vehicle spawning in my case).

2) Would you consider avoiding remoteExec for future official missions?

It's also completely possible to create a MP mission without using remoteExec. IMO the most destructive hacks use remoteExec (& BIS_fnc_MP), so disabling it all together would limit the hacker. 

Why not disable remoteExec and use the publicVariables and addPublicVariableEventHandler instead?

They can do the same job as remoteExec and can be extremely selective in which commands can be global when correctly set up. Again it won't prevent all hacks, but it'll limit the hacker and buy the good guys more time. (It's worked in some occasions in my case eg. nuke hacks). 

Thanks

Edit: Grammer

A start would be to get hold of some mature ban lists/dbs that the more popular gamemodes use. Most A3 kiddies/hackers are banned in one database or another.

edit: sent you a present ;) 

• Like 1

Please get off your backside devs and bring the Vote Kick option on your offical servers for End Game.

The fact you have people abusing team killing constantly shows how stupid the person who made this desision in your office really is.

Why don't you test features before removing / adding them?

Edited by Basardius

official EndGame servers, voting is enabled in server.cfg

e.g.

allowedVoteCmds[] = {

};

Considering this thread is about End Game. I would propose a change to the mission structure that defaults everyone into the same "Army" at the start (Alpha squad for example).

So that that people need to actively leave and create their own squad if they want to. Every game I have played of End Game, specially on Feres (I think), there is this legitimately spam about joining the single team army to allow everyone to be able to see icons on each other an thereby avoid tking. Those that tend not to do that because they are new or they think joining the team entails something else like following strict orders etc. Are the new guys and guess who tend to tk by accident more than others when they are not a member of the "army" team...

-------------------------

On the aspect of vote kick vs vote admin. I generally get the impression that vote kick are seldom successful and its most of the time voting in an admin that gets the toxic person kicked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Basardius said:

Please get off your backside devs and bring the Vote Kick option on your offical servers for End Game.

The fact you have people abusing team killing constantly shows how stupid the person who made this desision in your office really is.

Why don't you test features before removing / adding them?

Seems you use your own advice.  perhaps do some testing before running your mouth.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Seems you use your own advice.  perhaps do some testing before running your mouth.

I have you tool, you can't votekick people teamkilling everyone because it's disabled on the "Official servers" you complete tool.

And yeah I will call the devs out if they can't implement a system that kicks out players who have +40 team kills. This is a running joke of the game.

@Basardius do you even read what I posted, the vote-kicking is enabled on all official servers, including EndGame

4 hours ago, dwarden said:

@Basardius do you even read what I posted, the vote-kicking is enabled on all official servers, including EndGame

Except it does not work, we had the "whole team" vote kick a player and nothing happend. (aswell as a few of the otherside).

I was told in voice coms it's overridden.

I suggest you come play the only populated US server End Game mode and see for yourself. I'm going to name and shame because hes been doing it for the last week, you should hear the voice coms when this guy is on spraying all friendlies.

The guys name is

Spoiler

"fuckingBOZO"

I think it's out right crazy how BI doesn't have a auto ban function inplace for things like this, (on their offical public servers that is for the very least).

QzmTa8i.jpg

Yep and now everyone on Bluefor has left the game, (along with most of Opfor).

4Sr6kvz.jpg

As you can see he team swaps. :S

Please ban this / these players.

4Rh2mM1.jpg

Top highlighted server is the one.

PS;

look into your Votekick system it's clearly broken / not working as intended.

Also add a "Auto ban" feature with high team killers, to remove this incentive in the first place.

I'm honestly sorry for my tone if it comes across extremely negative, the fact that people can abuse this in the current games form is only letting people like myself continue to moan on this forum.

3 hours ago, Basardius said:

Except it does not work, we had the "whole team" vote kick a player and nothing happend. (aswell as a few of the otherside).

I was told in voice coms it's overridden.

The same thing happened to me on the Zeus server, the thing its that we had two afk players that didn`t vote on the toxic kid. I saw some ppl being kicked from End Game server too but its tricky when you have afk players.

On 31/05/2016 at 4:29 AM, dwarden said:

anyway I changed the ZeuS to allow vote-kicking in mid of mission

yet I bet someone soon will complain about vote spam ;)

You must be very careful with the threshold array value cause you know, people. People may use kick system just to be mean. I usually use 0.85 on my servers, which i think its very high, but we are a vet mature community so ppl behave themselves and tolerate a lot a things before kicking someone. Zeus and End game servers a more pub-like, no offense, so the change from 0.85->0.95 would be wiser cause ppl WILL spam the system for futile reasons too.

On 20/12/2016 at 6:50 AM, JojoTheSlayer said:

Considering this thread is about End Game. I would propose a change to the mission structure that defaults everyone into the same "Army" at the start (Alpha squad for example).

So that that people need to actively leave and create their own squad if they want to. Every game I have played of End Game, specially on Feres (I think), there is this legitimately spam about joining the single team army to allow everyone to be able to see icons on each other an thereby avoid tking. Those that tend not to do that because they are new or they think joining the team entails something else like following strict orders etc. Are the new guys and guess who tend to tk by accident more than others when they are not a member of the "army" team...

-------------------------

On the aspect of vote kick vs vote admin. I generally get the impression that vote kick are seldom successful and its most of the time voting in an admin that gets the toxic person kicked.

I totally agree with Jojo, a lot of tks happen cause players are lost inside the map. Veteran players create locked groups, so the rest of the team don`t have good places to spaw or know who are friendly or not. The removal of the groups system from End game and Zeus server would greatly improve the gameplay. 

Dear BI

I have to agree with the posts from this evening.  I was one of the users who exited, completely fed-up with the behaviours that ruined the gameplay and damaged the Arma experience on one of your official servers, USA #03.  I understand many of us left the server because of this, effectively killing off the game.  Not a great advert for Arma.

The gentleman who joined with the name "f******BOZZO" (quite appropriate really) and then rejoined as "user" basically ruined the experience for everyone.  He spawned in and team killed his entire team multiple times. He knew what he was doing and in team text at one point stated that he was stopping and going to play properly, but that lasted no more than a few minutes before he returned to ruining the game for everyone.  The above posts show that he swapped sides team-killing 48 of his own team before many of us left in disgust;  this was the second or third such instance this evening.  We did try to collectively kick the user concerned but perhaps we were too inexperienced to get this feature to work.  The player concerned did leave after a little but, but returned under another user name to wreak havoc after a short interval.

Being relatively new to the game, this was not what I expected from a title like Arma.  It is not commensurate with the image your advertising aims to portray and I have to advise that it really upset many of the players on the server and caused a lot of inappropriate comment and negativity which detracts from the enjoyment of playing the game.

Please do try and do something about this and if you can, please take action with the player concerned.  His details are listed in the immediate posts above.  I've actually seen this same player do the same on the same server two separate evenings this week, so clearly he thinks it appropriate to damage your brand and the playing experience.  If you can take action in 1) limiting the ability of players to behave like this and 2) then effectively police official servers it would improve the overall experience.  I realise this is a difficult balance to achieve but ultimately its your brand that suffers when people ruin your game like this.

I really enjoy the End Game scenario when you get users on playing and communicating as a team.  It really makes Arma come to life.  I'd really like to see more scenarios of similar styles encouraging team play and good interaction. 

Regards

Very Old Boy

PS  It's way past my bed time and I don't like to complain, but this really upset me and the majority of players on the server.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gordonbay said:

I totally agree with Jojo, a lot of tks happen cause players are lost inside the map. Veteran players create locked groups, so the rest of the team don`t have good places to spaw or know who are friendly or not. The removal of the groups system from End game and Zeus server would greatly improve the gameplay. 

I am not asking for a removal of the U menu though. I just want the team structure set to everyone is in the same team at the start of the match. Something that would technically only take ca 1 min to change in the mission via the editor.