bludski

Does anybody have a guide on how to update the map to 1.6?

I'm probably not the only one having a map that looks horrible and doesn't have a sky and appropriate lighting with latest patch. I use a heavily modified altis config. Can somebody post the bits that need to be changed?

it works, I have Australia running with V1.60 

it works, I have Australia running with V1.60 

any chance sharing it, as mine keeps crashing with the latest config.cpp

Anyone have a clue how to change the lighting and colors back to "normal"?  The stock Altis config settings look like absolute ass on my terrain.  Dry grass has gone from light brown to piss yellow and lush grass is now neon green instead of a deep green as it should be.  I see the lighting settings but I'd rather know for sure what to change and by how much instead of having to edit, repack a full build, test, rinse and repeat x 1000 until I finally find the right settings.  

• Like 1

@DarthRogue you don't need to do a full rebuild every time you change the config. it takes a couple of minutes when I do it.

Edit: --is there a new config format that works , the kunduz config didnt work for me in game no map shows , packed worked. ( black sky / water textures aswell )

@DarthRogue :

For the textures, they've been toned down ( like a grey filter added to them); so you'll have to extract the updated textures from map_data.pbo and replace them i f you copied them in the first place for your island.

• Like 1

have u checked to see if u have moon and stars?

Just checked, NO MOON or STARS but I do get the reflection of the moonlight in the water.

Back to to the drawing board with this config  :unsure:

why dont you post a working config ?

Got it working, stars + moon as well.

you will need to alter text to suit your needs.

http://pastebin.com/bvmimP3f

The optional sound.pbo that is used in my config.

This has to be dropped into mods addon folder of your mod

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7f7inkZ9lkaeWl2d2ZZcFR6T2s

If you dont want to use it, delete the class CfgEnvSounds section out of the config.cpp

• Like 4

Got it working, stars + moon as well.

you will need to alter text to suit your needs.

http://pastebin.com/bvmimP3f

The optional sound.pbo that is used in my config.

This has to be dropped into mods addon folder of your mod

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7f7inkZ9lkaeWl2d2ZZcFR6T2s

If you dont want to use it, delete the class CfgEnvSounds section out of the config.cpp

Hello,

Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Abd El Rahman

• Like 1

I have it working perfectly now.. thanks guys!

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that clutter no longer takes on the colour of the underlying sat image since 1.60, or did it change earlier and I'm only noticing it now? 

UPDATE: Having eyeballed this quite a lot - I think this is not true - but  naturally there is a limit to how much of the sat colour the texture will pick up. Same with the clutter objects.

Also - even keeping in mind that the lighting tweaks are not all done yet - what do people think the list of tasks to update custom terrains to 1.60+ looks like (I'm talking after you've fixed your skybox and config)?

Here's my first stab:

1: surface textures - post 1.60, these are now very dark and saturated. One task might be converting the PAAs, customising them to taste, rePAAing and reintegrating. 

UPDATE: I have found this absolutely necessary to get the sat and the surface  textures to blend well together. I did this process and shifted the levels of the texture PAAs to lighten them to the point where they worked better with the sat. 

2: Sat image - if my experience is anyway typical, these are often too bright for the new textures - so some playing with levels and saturation seems likely to get them closer to surface textures (maybe meet the texture half way?)

UPDATE: I have also done this - darkening the whole map slightly using curves. I also found I had to do specific darkening on the brightest elements of the sat as well as slightly desaturating some of the green areas that were coming out super-green in game. 

UPDATE 2: Having done further work on this - I've found that rather than messing with curves - playing with the output levels is a far better way to darken overly bright sat maps. With my current maps, knocking the white output from 255 to approx 185 got me a pretty good match between sat and the new darker textures. 

3: Mask - this might just be me, but I can see I'm going to have to change mine. However, that might be a good opportunity to work in some of the Apex textures, as some of them look tasty. 

UPDATE: I have not used Apex textures yet, but I have changed some of my textures to better mesh with the sat. This seemed to be less of an issue pre-1.60, but post 1.60 lighting is pretty unforgiving if your texture and your sat are not at least in the same postcode.

4: Clutter - I'm finding my clutter mixes now look ugly, so, again, might be just me, but I think that will need changes. 

UPDATE:  I've done this. Not sure if it's necessary, but again post-1.60 seems to be less forgiving than the old lighting. 

5: Tweak lighting settings in config  - This is an unknown quantity since BIS (a.) haven't finished tweaking, and (b.) haven't published documentation. Knowing more about this might make some of the points above unnecessary. 

UPDATE: The stuff posted on the 1.60 config thread on this forum has been super helpful - especially the terrainBlendMaxDarkenCoef and terrainBlendMaxBrightenCoef settings. I've set these to max darken, min brighten on Gorgona at least. Otherwise - I've duplicated the new Stratis lighting settings pretty much wholesale and that seems to produce good results. 

UPDATE: 6: Roads. The new dirt road textures are very dark (the old ones used to blend perfectly with default Stratis stony ground texture). These might work fine with the new textures in Apex, but they're horrible if you have very lightly textured road beds, as I did on Gorgona. I replaced them all of mine with dirt trails (the twin tyre mark roads)

Anyone else got some insights on the road that Arma map modders will need to take to get to Apex? 

UPDATE TL:DR: Based on my experience so far - the biggest visual optimisation gains will come from customising your surface texture PAAs to match your sat map (and vice versa). 

UPDATE 3: Gorgona - ARMA 1.60 before and afters 

• Like 1

Hey guys. Does anyone know how to fix this error? When launching any mission on a dedicated server box and selecting a slot I receive the following error

bin\Config.bin/CfgPatches.buildings. 

I am using a version of Australia that was uploaded to the steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779319811&searchtext=Australia

Is this a good version of this map? or is there a config file I need to use to get this up and running?

**Edit**

Figured out the issue. Seems the @A3L from the steam workshop requires a set of buildings. Not sure what those are but I was able to Launch with no issues with my unit's custom mod list without the aforementioned issue. Hopefully this'll help out anyone also suffering from this error on the map.

Edited by Nightwolf2112

Wouldn't be surprised if it was. At least the info is out there showing that there is another version of that map that isn't from the original author. I believe i have tried the proper one but I still have the lighting issue. I'll have to download it again and give it a try