Tuskegee_99th

Steam Workshop subscribed Mods

As of the 1.60 update, does anyone have any idea where steam workshop subscribed mods are being put locally on the computer? All of my steam subscribed mods were updated today and seem to work. However, the @whatever folders have been removed from the arma3 folder and, in the launcher, the option to show the mod's location in windows explorer is now grayed out. I see there is an option to copy the mod to a local location and that works, so I can update my dedicated server. But, I'd like to know where Steam is now putting these mods as some of them are very large and I'd like to be the one controlling their location. Thanks for any possible help.

• Like 1

I would also like a bit of an answer to this. Not sure why this was changed without control/input from the user. Don't want those Steam mods filling up my SSD.

Is there anyway we can control where Steam mods are put?

These files were being stored in workshop and doubled in the arma root..

They are now linked to the files in the workshop folder to save space...

You should be able to find the files themselves there but as you say it is also convenient to save as a local mod

These files were being stored in workshop and doubled in the arma root..

They are now linked to the files in the workshop folder to save space...

You should be able to find the files themselves there but as you say it is also convenient to save as a local mod

Thanks for the info. Guess it's time to figure out how to change Steam's workshop save location if it's possible...

It should be on some level... I have arma on a separate drive in a steam library there.

I'm not sure if you can designate a separate drive for workshop content but mine shows up on that drive and not my c: because the library is there.

Being able to just save as a local mod and installing where you want is a good option too

This is a massive inconvenience having to play "hide and go seek" with steam mods.  I'm trying to update our server with the new CUPs, etc. and now I've got figure out where the heck these folders are.  

Ok...so I found them.

Oh my God BI.

Every single mod is in a folder of a bunch of numbers.  

Every. Single. One.

So instead of seeing @CUP_Terrains, etc.  I see 1234423.  

And if I'm reading this correctly on the workshop..if I do want them saved as a local mod...I have to REdownload the entire mod again?  Is that right?  

As the guy who maintains our servers uploading mods, etc.....this is not an enjoyable change.

• Like 1

And if I'm reading this correctly on the workshop..if I do want them saved as a local mod...I have to REdownload the entire mod again?  Is that right?  

As the guy who maintains our servers uploading mods, etc.....this is not an enjoyable change.

I have this same difficulty. I found an easy workaround though.

Select a folder somewhere for temporary storage. In your launcher mod list hit the "..." on a mod to "Display more options". Click "Copy to a folder" and select the folder you created.

It will copy the mod over to your previously selected folder. It might even work to copy the mod right to your server if you use symbolic links.

Any suggestions regarding how servers should get modded now that they can't be copy and pasted from user files easily?

you can use steam CMD to acctually download mods to your server

workshop_download_item 107410 541888371

however you CAN'T download them anomisly, you will have to login on the steamCMD. next up it will store them probebly somewhere you don't want them to be (although you can't delete them there as steam will keep downloading them there)

so If you want the mods to be in a specific folder you will need to create a batch file to copy them there.

Oh and btw (its really handy to create a file where you write the names behind the numbers so that you can see what mods you want where and know what they are)

by example

541888371 = CUP Vehicles

I am a noob to Arma3. First installed in Feb 2016 fantastic franchise, then the updates started and in late April. A lot of steam scenario's and separate mission file task's would disappear after a save, exit game, now nothing is working correctly. I am not a computer genius by any means. I truly respect the work you do but right now for me nothing is working right  

Hey, Sorry to steal this thread but since im a new user and can't start a new thread and this one has to do with steam workshop i have a question.

What is better to use steam workshop or Playwithsix? Most of my mods are on the steam workshop and i will be probably using it with just a small group of friends.

Is using steam workshop easier to manage mods?

its easier over the arma 3 launcher

So would you recommend the workshop over the playwithsix? What do you do?

Is it easy to delete mods if I don't use them to?

Thanks for the help

I choose the Steam workshop everyday ;) 1. servers running steam mods allow for click and join, unsubscribe of a mod deletes it, you can make collections for your friends that they can use to join a server with the same mods

• Like 1

Guys, please help,  I'm in total mess, I reinstalled my os, I copied contents of the "steamapps\common\Arma 3\", and paste it back in my new os, steam picked up this folder with no problem. Also I've copied workshops\content folder, but when I pasted, the steam starts to download mods again and again. I know that I can point to this specific folder as "Watched Folder" in launcher, but then I will not be able to update mods. Now in Launcher it says that "The Path for the mod is not set", how can I set up this path through steam, to the existing folders? I'm on LTE connection, so Gb's cost me extra money :(.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:18 AM, iXVChewy3873VXi said:

So would you recommend the workshop over the playwithsix? What do you do?

Is it easy to delete mods if I don't use them to?

Thanks for the help

The reasons mentioned in this thread are the exact reason that I don't use the workshop for mods. My workshop folders have had numbered names for years now and it's simply too much trouble to have more than a few mods installed that way. When I do install a mod with the workshop because it can't be downloaded anywhere else, I immediately locate it, rename it and move the folder to my A3 directory. It's a tiny bit of a hassle to load PWS and check for updates before playing the game but trying to find a specific mod amongst a hundred or so numbered folders to make a small config change is a much bigger hassle. I will occasionally download missions or campaigns from the workshop but if I want to edit anything in them, they also get moved to the appropriate location in my A3 folder. The workshop is a nice idea but for those of us that get numbered folders instead of mod names, it's a disaster. BTW, it's also very easy to delete mods while using PWS or you can simply go to the folder where they are installed and delete them manually. Also, since I have A3 installed on a 250GB SSD, I move mods that I don't use very often to a much larger HD and I move them back whenever I need them. If those mods have had an update while they were moved off of the SSD, it's an easy matter to update them using PWS as well. While it would be possible to do that with workshop installed mods, it would be much more difficult.

***edit*** Damn, I didn't realize that I responded to a comment that was over a year old. Oh well, I think it's still sound advice.

Edited by scimitar
Oops!