Tankbuster

launcher doesnt store mods where i told it to

Cute, just a reminder: you guys made things harder for us. Im only giving you ideas how to make it easier again while keeping your precious steam cache untouched. Bedsides, the source code for the launcher is in your hands, so its not like we can do anything with it by ourselves.

• Like 1

No, that is not possible. Steam Workshop cache is an internal storage of Steam client, it is managed by Steam client (and Steam client only), and the names represents the identifiers for those items in Steam database (if you open a Workshop page for e.g. CUP Terrains, the address is http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583496184and the folder name is 583496184 - the same one as in the web address).

So, the easiest workaround for Server admins that do not want double files, is to not use STEAM and just use other repositories to download from, it seems.

If you don't mind the hassle and double space, then just making local copies of the cache files to the Arma 3 directory would be the next option.

Guess we'll figure out a way to deal with it.

Yeah I guess this is what I'm trying find the simplest solution for.

Several nights per week I run a local dedicated server. I'd say I have 4-5 missions in rotation, all of which use mods and mostly from Steam.

The location changing isn't that big of a deal. I'll just redirect TADST to those file locations. But not being able to easily identify the mod is most worrisome and I'd imagine time consuming.

I'm wondering if in my non-computer-savvy brain, if a viable solution which might work for everyone could be for BIS to create a virtual folder with the correct name in the Arma root; one that leads to the steam mod location.

For example, this would alleviate BIS' concern of people tampering with the mods. It would also keep the directory clean from duplicate mods (to conserve space because the folder with be an empty redirect) and make it really easy for server admins to quickly put mods on their server.

Like I said, I know literally nothing about coding and the like. And I'm only a causal server admin. But wouldn't something like this, on the surface if it could be done, fulfill everyone's needs?

• Like 1

I have another issue related to this. I went into the launcher and changed where my Steam Workshop mods should be downloaded back to /Arma 3, but the mods were not copied back to Arma 3 like they normally are in the launcher when you change directories.

Then I hunted down my Workshop download location and deleted all of the mod folders, thinking the Launcher would just reacquire them. Instead, all of the mods are corrupted, and when I unsubscribe and resubscribe to them, they just go right back to being corrupted.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Now my question is, why is there still an option to change the install location of workshop mods if it doesn't do anything?

I would suggest adding a tooltip or something that explains that, as many people are probably going to be like me and assume something is broken and try and delete files to get them in the right place. :)

Thanks for the fast replies, terribly sorry so many people are bad sports about the inevitable temporary problems caused by making great updates to a great game.

Thanks for the fast replies, terribly sorry so many people are bad sports about the inevitable temporary problems caused by making great updates to a great game.

Eh, I just dislike when my modded files move around and change on their own. There are issues with the update and their solution regarding launcher and mods is not perfect, so Im trying to help out by offering ideas how to make it more bearable on mod users.

I think I will need to look at the mods loaded and such, now all the mod added attachments for guns are doubled. Not sure why exactly, it worked fine before the update.

i'm wondering why the copies you can make manually now, wouldn't update like they did before. that makes no sense at all. making those double copies optional for those who complained about it seems reasonable but why remove a great feature along the way? or do those copies update now still?

if they don't, it would be great to reenable that. shouldn't be too hard since it worked before. again, if i'm not mistaken.

I think the situation would be better if we could subscribe to and get mods to download for dedicated server, then we don't have to find and manually update them.

yeh,

Of course this is obvious and best solution and BIS know that !. And Mr. BIS_Wizard don't tell me that BIS didn't have time to make this, because developpers need sleep, common lets be serious.

We are talking of years of developing, years of manual uploads to update the mods in servers, years of waiting a tool to help us.

But, Mr. BIS_Wizard do you know what is the realy worst part of this topic, is your atitude. Not wanting to disrespect or generalize, allow me to clarify on the following:

I am a comunity administrator among many others, that support the servers of thousands of players that pays you the salary at the end of each month, We are that "just noise", that pays your bills.

I think we all deserve a little more respect with this updates. These constant updates loaded with bugs is already a joke that begins to lose the joke.

Hello,

thank you for your opinion. Please keep the discussion civilized, or the next post will be your last here.

Until BIS doesn't show some respect with their customers with this updates, please do not turn to threaten me again, because next time we be your last !

Unlike you, I don't need ARMA to living or anything. Uninstall arma, shutdown servers, shutdown comunity and my problem is solved

Micronx from Armalusa.

No, that is not possible. Steam Workshop cache is an internal storage of Steam client, it is managed by Steam client (and Steam client only), and the names represents the identifiers for those items in Steam database (if you open a Workshop page for e.g. CUP Terrains, the address is http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=583496184and the folder name is 583496184 - the same one as in the web address).

I have no issue with where my mod folder is stored, or even if it is stored twice! I do have an issue with not being able to readily identify the mod in question, because its name is replaced by Steam number ID. So my only option now is to google that number or open the folder and try and guess what i have got in there, (Thanks CUP for including a text doc. naming what you are)!

There must be someway for these folders to have the names we know as identifiers rather than a string of numbers that tell steam something but do not inform the end user your customer.

Maybe it should be a requirement that all steam workshop uploads contain a mod named text doc just as CUP included. I'd settle for that couple of extra clicks of delving ever deeper into the satanic depths of numeric steam named folders just to get an identifiable name!

I'm wondering if in my non-computer-savvy brain, if a viable solution which might work for everyone could be for BIS to create a virtual folder with the correct name in the Arma root; one that leads to the steam mod location.

If you refer back to my post on the first page, you are able to do this via a directory junction from the Arma 3 Server root directory... see -> https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191137-launcher-doesnt-store-mods-where-i-told-it-to/#entry3032430

A quick how-to...

Open explorer, go to where your steam workshop files are for Arma 3 Server (Example... C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\107410). Find out which workshop items you want to junction and take note on what mods they actually are by checking the meta.cpp file of each in a text editor.

Example... C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\497660133\meta.cpp shows the following information...

protocol = 1;
publishedid = 497660133;
name = "CUP Weapons";
timestamp = 5247647518081891153;

Therefore, this is how you then junction (link) it back to Arma 3 from the root directory...

Navigate to where your Arma 3 (or Arma 3 Server) path is at in explorer and copy the complete path to clipboard. See http://i.imgur.com/b4KVOvq.png

Open cmd.exe (start/run?) and navigate to your Arma 3 directory (Client or Server) by doing -> cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server

Navigate to where your Arma 3 (or Arma 3 Server) Workshop Mods path is at in explorer and copy the complete path to clipboard. See http://i.imgur.com/qlHzEgc.png

Focus the command prompt (cmd.exe) again and then type the following (for example) -> mklink /J @CUP_497660133 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\497660133" (you could name this junction @CUP_Weapons also, or anything you want really!)

It has now created a directory junction from -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\@CUP_497660133 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\497660133

What does this mean? It means that you now have a proper named directory -> @CUP_497660133 that you can use when loading your mods (example -mod=@CUP_497660133). The steam workshop still functions as-intended and updates when needed, and the directory junction you just made will continue to function along side it. Set up each directory junction once and use these new directories when loading mods in your start up parameters and you're done.

Lastly, make sure that the directory junction exists and works as intended by doing -> dir /AD "@CUP*" and then -> cd @CUP_497660133

See http://i.imgur.com/JgLDsPt.png

If all functions as intended, then repeat for each of the workshop mods that you need to junction (link) in your Arma 3 root directory.

I hope that helps as a work-around for Arma 3 Server operators.

-soul

• Like 1

In my eye there really wasn't a reason to keep it. Adding an additional option means more works to implement it, to test it, to localize it, to support it, issues arise when configuration gets corrupted, etc. At that time I see it as an unnecessary risk on #RoadToApex. Those copies in the root folder were only created because they had to be copied, not because we wanted them to be copied.

At the moment, copies are not updated, they are only meant as a mean for you to explore the content if necessary or to create a copy to repair it, or to simply make a backup of an older version of the mod. It wasn't meant as a mean to copy all mods somewhere else (I'd put that in contrast to the old version, where the copied mods couldn't be changed, because those changes we undone with the next synchronization). Idea I have with this is to have option of "Delayed update" per mod, where the mod copy would track its Steam original and Launcher could re-synced it with its Steam counterpart if and when user wants (but if or when it happen I really don't know).

So you make things harder for us and when we offer you ideas how to make things better you just go "nope, too much work"....

Anyway, the idea of linking local mod with cache sounds good. How about a tickbox, or something, called "Use local version" with would switch out the workshop version with the local version. This way you could use customized local mod, the cache would be untouched. If possible when cache get an update you would only get info that the local version is outdated with an option to resychronize with workshop.

Sorry, I do not intent to make things harder for you or anyone else. It's just that Launcher was never meant to make your (admin's) life easier, at least when it comes to managing your servers.. As I've said numerous times, based on your feedback, I'm now working on a tool that will make your life easier.

Wasn't that supposed to be a selling point of using steam workshop for mods? To make using mods easier to use for the operators of the servers and the people wanting to join said servers? I mean let's face it, us server admins do this because we love the game, it isn't supposed to be a full time job to manage a server.I have been asking for a means to sync steam workshop mods to servers since arma 3 came out and allowed for steam workshop mods. I am lucky enough that I own the actually server box and have direct physical access to the server to do my mod updates. I can't imagine how big of a pain in the rear it must be for those who don't and have to use some web frontend.

• Like 3

Wasn't that supposed to be a selling point of using steam workshop for mods? To make using mods easier to use for the operators of the servers and the people wanting to join said servers? I mean let's face it, us server admins do this because we love the game, it isn't supposed to be a full time job to manage a server.I have been asking for a means to sync steam workshop mods to servers since arma 3 came out and allowed for steam workshop mods. I am lucky enough that I own the actually server box and have direct physical access to the server to do my mod updates. I can't imagine how big of a pain in the rear it must be for those who don't and have to use some web frontend.

I think this is a problem of management and policy priorities of the BIS . This is a problem that has existed for years , anyone that has a dedicated server knows the problem.

And now come to say that nobody ever asked for a solution or did not know the problem ? But it's supposed to comment or ask what so obvious and everybody knows ?

I can only come to the sad conclusion that they do not have slightest idea what is to manage communities servers that use large amount and variety of mods in their missions .

But to finish this, BIS_Wizard i do NOT want to be part of a problem, i want to be part of the solution.

So, about that tool you are working, i'm 100 % available to help and test, if you need any help, suggestions, servers, testing, etc, etc. i will help you.

Micronx.

@all lets keep things polite and civil i've already had to hand one warning out. 

• Like 1

In the past I used the workshop and the launcher to keep some of my mods up to date while using arma3sync. If I now copy all the cached mods into my arma3 root folder everything would be like before and I can use A3Sync normally. But at the moment my mods look like this:

I liked the way the launcher was working before :/

@BIS_Wizard: could you precise how the addon Name as it appears in the BIS launcher is obtained for an addon downloaded from the Workshop?

I mean does the launcher perform a request to the Steam database using Steam ID to retrieve the addon metadata or are these metadata stored client side when downloading the files?

Thanks 

Edit: reading back previous posts, it seams that addon metadata are stored within \AddonSteamID\meta.hpp. If confirmed I can fix the issue with ArmA3Sync.

• Like 2

You mean that the meta.cpp file is not generated by the BIS Launcher but downloaded when people sync their addon from the Workshop right?

So would it be possible for the BIS Launcher to generate the meta.cpp file client side after the end of a sync in case the file does not exists?

I wish they could just make a launcher for server console like they have for the client. Take the good parts of tophes launcher and integrate mod subscription.

• Like 5

XML/JSON/whatevever text file will do. So you want to use Steam.exe to generate the file at the end of the download right?

Hi,

I'm just looking into a way to remedy the issue. For Launcher it's actually a preferable to prevent people from accessing Steam cache data to prevent users from messing with it. But I understand the concerns so I'm considering two options: either let Launcher to create a virtual directory (a directory junction) under Arma folder or to create a dedicated tool to handle that (or do both). Any the question is, do anyone have feature requests on top of that?

That would do the trick - if the junctions were named as the mod, eg @CBA. Then Arma3Sync (and other 3rd party launchers) could use the junctions in the -mod command line parameter

A crazy way to solve this would be copy Arma 3 folder to server and also cache, then sync them. Load server via launcher on server which shows all mods from cache. So just copy arma and steam mod cache for arma on local computer and create same on server and sync them using a program. That way local updates and sync program syncs them and you just have to load server via launcher  on server arma 3 folder. 

You still end up with double them size!

The thing with the launcher way is you don't need to have mods in same folder as arma 3. Can have them on seperate drive.

If that makes any sense :)

Sorry, I do not intent to make things harder for you or anyone else. It's just that Launcher was never meant to make your (admin's) life easier, at least when it comes to managing your servers.. As I've said numerous times, based on your feedback, I'm now working on a tool that will make your life easier.

That may be true, but I downloaded the mods for my server through steam on my dedicated server. I don't use the launcher. Regardless, I had to update my server copy or ARMA to 1.6 and despite not ever having used the launcher the mods were still moved... So it's not like there was much of a choice offered there.

just my opinion about this tool

imagine the launcher from 1.58 version (only the launcher) to run on the server.

you could subscribe and update de mods to a local server folder... then the batch scripts will do the rest.

yes i know that we stil have duplicate mods (cache and the local folder copy), but in server i think that is not a big big problem...

my 2 cents:

I tried making links from workshop contents folder to a3 root folder with mlink. (See spoiler for batch script)

It works fine, and need to be done only once. (at least untill next update @BIS ->  :P )

@ECHO off

REM DEFINE PATH HERE
SET linksFolder=F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\LINKS\
SET workshopContentFolder=F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\107410\

REM MOD IDS AND LINK FOLDERS NAME
SET cupCoreID=583496184
SET cupCoreName=@CUP_terrains_core

REM MAKE JUNCTION LINK
mklink /j "%linksFolder%%cupCoreName%" "%workshopContentFolder%%cupCoreID%"

REM LETS PAUSE TO SEE IF LINK IS DONE
pause 

I personally found it best solution for windows. Only one thing is missing, option to "exclude" folder from watched in A3 launcher.

So basically, we should be able to watch whole a3 root for mods, and have a list of folders inside a3 root to ignore.

It would be also awesome to make links directly from launcher, for those not familiar with cmd.exe