CaptainAzimuth

New 1.60 Update Quick Note

Usually every update we get ambushed with new posters. If you're new to these forums, or just joined to express your opinions of the new 1.60 update, here is the place to do it.

However, before you do, i suggest you look around the forums and find the credible information regarding your current issue. Likewise, if you've experienced problems with ether lighting or performance, i heavily urge you to browse the Video Settings for the new additions including Screen Space Reflections for water reflection quality and you can also customize the new lighting to fit your needs, or preferences.

• Like 6

I wish they would have fixed these two RC bugs for the release:

- Transitioning to crouch while rifle-lowered standing results in weapon being raised

- Transitioning to crouch from rifle-raised standing while turning results in weapon being lowered

I hate it when bugs this big and obvious make it into stable...

edit: oh wait, is this thread for new members only? oops

Also, forgot to mention that I think the update overall is fantastic.

• Like 1

I wish they would have fixed these two RC bugs for the release:

- Transitioning to crouch while rifle-lowered standing results in weapon being raised

- Transitioning to crouch from rifle-raised standing while turning results in weapon being lowered

I hate it when bugs this big and obvious make it into stable...

edit: oh wait, is this thread for new members only? oops

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140837-development-branch-changelog/?p=3031844

DATA

Fixed: Characters were forced to go prone when opening an inventory while moving unarmed (kudos to ElectricLeash for the report)

Fixed: Characters would stop and slide when transitioning from an unarmed jog to an unarmed walk

Fixed: Characters would go prone when switching from an unarmed jog to an unarmed walk while turning (kudos to Somesangheili for the report)

Ure actually specifically mentioned in latest dev branch... it may have been too late to put it in 1.60... anyways ... nice work :)

One major concern that I'm going to address here because it still pertains to A3 and is pretty much integral to my continuing to have any use for this game is the fact that legacy Arma islands are now mostly unplayable due to how the lighting system/sky has changed.

I'd say 90% of everything I do with this game involves legacy islands.

Also that being said, does anyone have any specific tips as to what to change graphically in order to regain some performance while at least maintaining some comparable level of visual quality with the previous update? Even on stratis with no other entities we're right back to the god awful loading stutter when doing something as simple as turning my view and I don't really see any considerable improvements aside from the fact that daytime terrain seems marginally brighter.

All that aside, I'm very concerned for the future of being able to use legacy Arma islands with this game, making some a-priori argument about it not being a guarantee or the game not being intended for such things is a completely facile self-referential argument. Being able to use legacy terrains added a lot of replayability and if I personally as a consumer had a choice between being able to use those for which there is no "good" reason to not continue to do so, or better lighting, I'd stick with the former.

That being said, I'm going to have me a downgrade and continue to use the game as I have while I can.

One major concern that I'm going to address here because it still pertains to A3 and is pretty much integral to my continuing to have any use for this game is the fact that legacy Arma islands are now mostly unplayable due to how the lighting system/sky has changed.

I'd say 90% of everything I do with this game involves legacy islands.

[...]

All that aside, I'm very concerned for the future of being able to use legacy Arma islands with this game, making some a-priori argument about it not being a guarantee or the game not being intended for such things is a completely facile self-referential argument. Being able to use legacy terrains added a lot of replayability and if I personally as a consumer had a choice between being able to use those for which there is no "good" reason to not continue to do so, or better lighting, I'd stick with the former.

That being said, I'm going to have me a downgrade and continue to use the game as I have while I can.

Just wait for CUP Terrains to update...Oh wait it already did. Update your addons and then they'll work fine...If on the other hand you're still using AiATP, you're S.O.L.

• Like 3

Do these changes only apply to individual terrains?

That is to say, is it a fundamental change to how existing legacy terrains interface with Arma 3 graphically or do they have to dig into each terrain themselves and modify them?

Pre 1.60 I might have guessed yes, but I have no idea now.

I waited a few hours for the uimpression to settle but have to say: no, apart from water reflection there is no visual impreovemt, it's a degradation.

Everything loosk fale now, camps dotn work at all and even looking at oneself does not look good. The MTP pattern does not look anymore like what I have as sample gear at home (original Crye Precision)

HBAO+ shadows which looked good in 1.58 do lookbad now with to much contrast like dirt on the wall. Old SSAO standard gives a better impression now. Everything is washed out and reminds me of Operation flashpoint.

I stand to my prior statememnt...the game is degrading more and more since1.54.

we are now beyond the point where it did not just not ran well or removing the working Fatigue by a broken Stamina... now I dont even want to look at it any more since the visuals are degraded.

You trashed the whole working palette of hues and shadows on camos and terrain for a few fancy reflection...I don't get.

reminds me of the time when the devs wanted to improvet the lighting in ArmA II (Reinhardt) and the beta tester had to stop them because the lightign looked as fake as it does again now in 1.60.

I waited a few hours for the uimpression to settle but have to say: no, apart from water reflection there is no visual impreovemt, it's a degradation.

Everything loosk fale now, camps dotn work at all and even looking at oneself does not look good. The MTP pattern does not look anymore like what I have as sample gear at home (original Crye Precision)[/size]

HBAO+ shadows which looked good in 1.58 do lookbad now with to much contrast like dirt on the wall. Old SSAO standard gives a better impression now. Everything is washed out and reminds me of Operation flashpoint.[/size]

I stand to my prior statememnt...the game is degrading more and more since1.54.[/size]

Unfortunately I kinda of agree with your opinion . The visual upgrade was not necessary and definetely didn't improve the game for me. For me personally new water shades was more than enough, the water looks good. I cant stand looking a the midrange textures.

Lovers gonna love, haters gonna hate and never the twain shall meet......I'm a Lover. 

• Like 5

I love the new visual update, personally, it makes everything look far more rich, and realistic. Though, i guess others would like it to look more like most modern games. (Battlefield is a good example, where it looks too good to be realistic, i guess? Idk)

Best part is, i can go to the settings, and make it look more colorful, or less colorful if i want to, since they added the new settings in.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying it so far.

There is always a saturation slider for those who think it is too pale. I actually thought it looked too washed out from the recent screenshots on the dev branch. But, after playing the first two episodes of the campaign, it was pretty nice actually. Out in the open, there was plenty of color (in my subjective opinion) running at the default (100) saturation.

The only issue I have is that it broke the skies in some custom maps. Other than that, looks superb (especially with the ReColor addon by Greenfist)!

08B7C503FE06F60C3E6BE6BFD4131BEB41EA00AD

I noticed that some of the AI in the campaign are speaking the wrong language. In the second episode of the campaign, as you come out of the woods, some of the enemy ai there had me confused at first, b/c I heard them speaking american english... I don't *think* it used to be that way...

The only issue I have is that it broke the skies in some custom maps. Other than that, looks superb (especially with the ReColor addon by Greenfist)!

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/493521193167840575/08B7C503FE06F60C3E6BE6BFD4131BEB41EA00AD/

That looks like your character just woke up, and/or sustained a massive head injury. I wouldn't call that "superb" at all personally...

• Like 1

That looks like your character just woke up, and/or sustained a massive head injury. I wouldn't call that "superb" at all personally...

Opinions are great.

I agree with Jackal.  1.60 looks like a cartoon. 

And to quote the OP:   you can also customize the new lighting to fit your needs, or preferences.

Where? 

• Like 1

And to quote the OP:   you can also customize the new lighting to fit your needs, or preferences.

Where? 

I believe it's the last tab at the top in Video settings. I've had someone tell me they put Saturation to 133 to make it look like the previous build of Arma, color wise.

• Like 1

There is no doubt that if you know anything about photography, you know how badly overexposed everything now looks with the new visual update.

I don't want to be too hasty to complain, I'll have to play around with the settings to see what I can do.

There is no doubt that if you know anything about photography, you know how badly overexposed everything now looks with the new visual update.

I don't want to be too hasty to complain, I'll have to play around with the settings to see what I can do.

Not a photographer, but yeah everything just looked bright and washed out to me, somebody said it looked reminiscent of OFP which I agree with.

No doubt the devs will work the kinks out, and I'm sure the community will get into it and we'll see all sorts of tips and tricks from people on how to make the game look this way or that.

I got my installation to scale back to 1.58, I'm running performance build 6 and I'm pretty happy with it for the time being, I don't feel like dicking around with 1.60 and trying to get it work as close to 1.58 visually and performance wise right now.

I'm glad I have that option, maybe as people figure things out and possibly if an optimization build is made for 1.60 that might change for me.

Where? 

I like the overall Visual Update, it was just the screenshot zooloo75 posted that I felt looked...odd.

I believe it's the last tab at the top in Video settings. I've had someone tell me they put Saturation to 133 to make it look like the previous build of Arma, color wise.

Being able to change the colour saturation is not the same as customizable lighting effects.  In fact I wouldn't say lighting levels would be effected in any way by the colour saturation level.  Doesn't matter what you do to the saturation, a flare no longer lights up the ground.