Joe98

Suggestion: To set the spacing in a formation

Sometimes vehicles drive in convoys along roads. The roads have many bends along the way.

Some vehicles are controlled by AI soldiers.

If the convoy is in column formation, I would like to be able to give a spacing command.

For example:  I order "column - 200"  meaning that the vehicles should try to remain about 200 meters apart.

On a foot patrol I might order:    "V-20"  which means the men should go to V formation and the AI soldiers try to keep a spacing of 20 meters between each man.

To be able to set the spacing would enhance the game.

• Like 1

As seems to me, this is a very good and necessary item for Arma. Many times I was in need of a it. But it does not only work through scripting. For example, such detail could be implemented in the command menu of squad leader, as different spacing variation for curent formation. "Dense formation" and "Dispersed formation", may be needed in different situations.  For example if the squad is under mortar fire, he should not be in a dense formation. He should has scattered formation. Anyway, the commander must be able to work with it.

What would also be good is a civilian 'crowd' formation like they have in VBS. If for some reason you need a civilian mob or any kind of group, it looks dumb if they're walking down the street in a perfect V.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - just mentioned this myself in another thread on squad controls... It would be nice to set a staggered column so each line is right in the edge of a road... Also - would like to see a new formation that puts a guy "on point" as an early warning detector...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have my vote. It would be nice if a tighter unit formation system was worked on.

Excellent idea. I'd especially love the concept of a "disorganized mob" formation for untrained irregulars and civilians. It's really silly to see supposedly untrained units move in a perfect formation. Combined with being able to set spacing on command, it'd be of great use in all kinds of scenarios.

I hate to pass along work, but if BI can't incorporate this, I wonder if 3DEN Enhanced mod could. It appears it creates mini-scripts using a clickable interface.

What do you guys think?

Well, it probably could, but honestly, if we wanted it in 3DEN Enhanced, we'd be posting there. Also, it doesn't touch other areas where this functionality could be applied. For example, it'd be a good idea to have AI dynamically adjust their formation spacing based on combat mode (and tactical situation in general). It also stands to reason that player should be able to command his teammates to spread out or tighten their formation. These things should really be done in-engine.