bludski

Using foreign characters/letters on your map?

Is this possible in some way? The region of the map I am creating has alphabet ending with XYZÆØÅ and one of those last 3 is mostly always used in place names.

If you're using Keypoints on your map to designate place names then you'll know that TB saves these out as a file in your Main Project Directory, eg "nameofproject.hpp"

If you load this file into Notepad you can then edit the place names to use your odd characters, then - as you go to resave the file - look for a popdown menu on the save dialog called "Encoding". It'll probably be set to ANSI by default.

Change that to UTF-8 and then save the file as normal

That - should - allow "special characters" like accents above letters, etc to show in-game

Whether it'll work for actual foreign characters, I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth a try...

NB - REMEMBER!! - TB (Re)creates that NameOfProject.hpp file every time you save, or export .wrp or something like that, so remember that it may get overwritten automatically by TB at a later stage

B

• Like 2

NB - REMEMBER!! - TB (Re)creates that NameOfProject.hpp file every time you save, or export .wrp or something like that, so remember that it may get overwritten automatically by TB at a later stage

yeah right Bushlurker ;)

Change that to UTF-8 and then save the file as normal

That - should - allow "special characters" like accents above letters, etc to show in-game

Whether it'll work for actual foreign characters, I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth a try...

I think it should work as long BI's font has 'exotic' characters in it. Sometimes they are left out to save space and you only need the Latin charset but Arma is pretty well localized so hopefully the OP gets lucky :)

Thank you guys! I will try this on my next rebuild! 

You could also use stringtable.xml

In TB -> Keypoint Properties -> Visualization -> Text, instead of location name put

$STR_YOURTAG_YOURKEYID (no quotes)

fake localize it, so to speak. Also works with funny location names in binarized configs :)