sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod 3.0b - BRAVO Released !!!

for what? an M1 helmet might stop a slow moving wood splinter, but kevlar it aint

• Like 2

hi,

good work and nice asset (planes, weapons etc.)

one thing i want to mention, the E-2 Hawkeye can not take off on normal runway. it sounds like the wheel brake kicks in everytime you accelerate it. first i didn´t notice the problem while i used the plane on the nimitz on the catapult so far.

maybe you can have a look.

thx

try not to press X during take off. if you do then slow to <20km/h so the brake deactivates, line up your plane, then take off in one fluid motion without steering left and right (as X is probably your rudder key and it is also the wheelbrake and afterburner off key)

Started up an unsung server for my community, having a blast. Couple questions/issues.

1. The UH-1 Huey "Slick" shows in editor, but not in Zeus. Possible config issue?

2. Is there a manual on how to properly work some of the fixed wing aircraft, such as the Hawkeye and A-6 intruder bomb sights?

3. Compatibility with Ace3, the unsung gear likes to add random amounts of bandages automatically into the uniforms, usually 10 each time you click on them in the arsenal.

4. Can the voices in the arsenal be turned off?

Thanks!

bomb sights are simple.  Move to the gunner position.  Use your "optic" key. 

ACE compatibility - I know an effort is underway to make ACE work with our mod.  I won't be surprised if parts of ACE do not work with our mod.  Neither should you.

bomb sights are simple.  Move to the gunner position.  Use your "optic" key. 

ACE compatibility - I know an effort is underway to make ACE work with our mod.  I won't be surprised if parts of ACE do not work with our mod.  Neither should you.

Right, I understand the optic key, but for example in the A6, the bombs do not land where the target reticle is placed. Surely there is a method that needs to be folowed?

Is there an addon sound pack compatible with Unsung?

I found this:  JSRS3-DragonFyre-EDEN-version-1.2 sounds.rar

think about it - sound packs change stock weapons and fx.

unsung classes have their own defined sounds and fx.

how could a modded sound pack, designed to be used with the stock game affect our sounds?

re the bombing - use your time to train manual bombing techniques. This is the 1960s son.

the only guided bomb is the GBU8 HOBOS.

the only guided AGMs are the AGM45 shrike or AGM12 Bullpup or AGM65B Maverick.

these were rudimentary TV guided weapons generally, so in-game we gave you an on-board laser designator as a shortcut to simulate basic guidance.

this takes several sessions to train with another person (pilot and WSO) to be able to work as a team to deploy the munitions well.  good luck!

• Like 1

loving this mod, the only real problem i'm getting is randomised facewear. anyone else or is it just me? 

got the same problem ...... :( 

If randomized face wear is the only problem I would say we did pretty good for such a massive release.  Feeling good about that!  :)

re the bombing - use your time to train manual bombing techniques. This is the 1960s son.

the only guided bomb is the GBU8 HOBOS.

the only guided AGMs are the AGM45 shrike or AGM12 Bullpup or AGM65B Maverick.

these were rudimentary TV guided weapons generally, so in-game we gave you an on-board laser designator as a shortcut to simulate basic guidance.

this takes several sessions to train with another person (pilot and WSO) to be able to work as a team to deploy the munitions well.  good luck!

Bombing is EXTREMELY ACCURATE - the bombs hit the ground 100% of the time!

• Like 3

If randomized face wear is the only problem I would say we did pretty good for such a massive release.  Feeling good about that!  :)

Bombing is EXTREMELY ACCURATE - the bombs hit the ground 100% of the time!

well there is probably more like bombs hiting the ground 100% of the time what offcourse is a MAJOR BUG !!! :P  although the random gear is kind of annoying as it shows present day troops with 1960 ear necklace etc. ;)  

This is a fun mod. I hope for more missions.

I pray for A3 to have an update offering improved performance.

well there is probably more like bombs hiting the ground 100% of the time what offcourse is a MAJOR BUG !!! :P  although the random gear is kind of annoying as it shows present day troops with 1960 ear necklace etc. ;)

Where in the hell are you seeing modern troops within Unsung?  If you are running Unsung alongside other mods, STOP IMMEDIATELY!  Unsung is intended to be standalone and NOT to be ran with other things.  Therefore this is not a "bug" at all.

• Like 1

This is a fun mod. I hope for more missions.

I pray for A3 to have an update offering improved performance.

Reducing your view distance (under Video Options) to around 800 (or even less) provides a significant improvement.  Also normal shadows and normal textures seems to yield the biggest increase, based on youtube vids of people altering settings with an in-game FPS counter.

Of course due to the processor-limited nature of the Arma engine, more CPU power is frankly the only way to get maximum performance.  Time for a new PC just to play a game :)

and under no circumstances use the AMBIENT ANIMALS MODULE - it blows your FPS all to shit. I get a drop from 34 to 4fps  - yes 4 fps - with animals in the mission

Is there a preset virtual arsenal script or composition with just unsung gear? Id like to be able to block things like nvs and other vanilla equipment.

Hello airwolf!

There are several ways you can do this. You can add something like

null = [this] execVM "virtual_arsenal_unsung_init.sqf"

to the init of an ammo crate then create a sqf file in your mission folder called virtual_arsenal_unsung_init.sqf which can contain something like

_crate = _this select 0;

["AmmoboxInit",[_crate,false,{true}]] spawn BIS_fnc_arsenal;

//Lists of items to include
_availableHeadgear = [
    "H_HelmetB",
    "H_HelmetB_camo",
];

_availableGoggles = [
    "G_Combat",
    "G_Lowprofile",
];

_availableUniforms = [
    "U_B_CombatUniform_mcam",
];

_availableVests = [
    "V_BandollierB_khk",
    "V_BandollierB_blk",
];

_availableBackpacks = [
    "B_AssaultPack_rgr",
    "B_AssaultPack_mcamo",
];

_availableWeapons = [
    "B_AssaultPack_rgr",
    "B_AssaultPack_mcamo",
];

//Populate with predefined items and whatever is already in the crate

[_crate,((backpackCargo _crate) + _availableBackpacks)] call BIS_fnc_addVirtualBackpackCargo;
[_crate,((itemCargo _crate) + _availableHeadgear + _availableGoggles + _availableUniforms + _availableVests)] call BIS_fnc_addVirtualItemCargo;
[_crate,(magazineCargo _crate)] call BIS_fnc_addVirtualMagazineCargo;
[_crate,(weaponCargo _crate)] call BIS_fnc_addVirtualWeaponCargo;

etc, including what types of items you want in the crate followed by the classnames following the same format as listed above. Those above are just vanilla examples but you can just toss in the unsung classnames of items you want http://armanam.eu/forum/index.php?topic=99.0

• Like 1

good post - i will add an arsenal to my missions using this thanks

what is "AmmoboxInit"

this post i made earlier has my ammo crate code in it, so you can borrow from that, it might be easier than using the spreadsheet.

• Like 1

just found another advantage of the choice to go with apex, french voices. with the uniforms and gear provided its pretty easy to create some decent feeling french foreign legion guys from the 1950's 

• Like 1

Where in the hell are you seeing modern troops within Unsung?  If you are running Unsung alongside other mods, STOP IMMEDIATELY!  Unsung is intended to be standalone and NOT to be ran with other things.  Therefore this is not a "bug" at all.

i am lazy  :P

(i have several shortcuts to play mods but when fidling in the editor i have a shortcut for all mods so i can decide what kind of mission to build  :P )

What about making it a true virtual arsenal, you can access shoulder patches, faces, and voices? I've tried several variations at the script, but I either end up with a virtual arsenal that has everything, or a regular arsenal that has just what is in the sqf.

is it normal for the ai to have a lot of trouble with helicopters on the vietnam maps? on rung sat the uh1-d slicks just fly straight up if given a move waypoint and don't do anything else. it looks like it only happens if you place them on the runway at that base in the top right of the map, for some reason

sanjuaro, try to alter the start position of the helicopter. It seems that when they take off from the actual runway spots they work, while when taking off from the north-west positions close to the hangars they tend to get stuck in air.

there are some odd undocumented issues with the 3d editor still. it will take time to fix them.

one example is when you place a A6 intruder on the runway then command AI to get into it they look fine and work fine.

when you spawn a fully crewed plane, they are slumped over in the dead animation position, although they live.

this kind of weird shit we won't spend time on, as it is very likely a BIS coding issue, and we have no idea where to start to fix it.

time will tell. don't expect perfection when BIS are still developing the engine code.

Awesome, re-discovering Arma, can't wait to download. :D