anfo

Is this a bug?

This was originally posted and overlooked in the troubleshooting forum, so I hope might gain traction here.

This vid hopefully explains (and shows) all

https://youtu.be/gDRyX0w-NqI

At least I can reproduce this behaviour (current dev).

Although, it happens anywhere where the non-blocked route would become 'complex' like blocking almost all paths into a small military base even, but if you put those walls on an open field the AI will go around them instead of passing through them.

the non-blocked route would become 'complex' like blocking almost all paths into a small military base even

Thanks for verifying this; although regardless of situation, the option to go through an editor placed wall is hardly a justifiable action for the AI. Especially since the AI will not go through objects that come with the map. What I'll try next is to place gaps in the same wall (therefore a possible path) and if the AI still walk through walls then could that be considered a bug?

if the AI still walk through walls then could that be considered a bug?

I guess this is a bug, obviously only the devs know how the AI pathfinding works so they may not class it such :P .

It has been known to disregard editor placed objects in the past..

The odd thing is though that if you construct a corridor out of these walls some of the AI group will go through the corridor and others will go around it. But not through the walls.

So maybe the urban areas have pathfinding params that differ from open areas and if the path calcs take too long in the urban areas it just quits and makes them pass through obstacles? :shrug:

So maybe the urban areas have pathfinding params that differ from open areas and if the path calcs take too long in the urban areas it just quits and makes them pass through obstacles? :shrug:

Please review this second video as I'm interested in further comment

https://youtu.be/ZcQNops-qZU

The video is private..

The video is private..

sorry, fixed

In Arma1 the AI regularly did to 'baked in' map objects the same as they do to these editor placed objects in that video.

Did it less in Arma2.

They still do this in Arma3 to 'baked in' map objects if they're getting in a vehicle that is parked near to a building or something, so seems it's some 'getting-stuck prevention' going on in there, or something. :shrug:

As to why it kicks in with these editor place objects I dunno, cue in pettka to explain (hopefully :P ).

Oh, and I'm not trying to challenge your findings in any way, just trying to guesstimate some reasons why this might happen.

It can be a bug, and should be, but might be just a lacking feature for some :P

And this is just pure assumption, I haven't got a clue how the pathfinding works (would be cool if we had a button in 3DEN that would calculate and show possible paths for selected group ;) ).

It can be a bug, and should be, but might be just a lacking feature for some :P

I understand and thank you for you for looking and what I have presented. I tender the question - are (e.g.) wall objects merely decorative and serve no functional purpose? If I were to call this a true simulator, then an AI suddenly walking through a wall I placed to protect me, my team or deter the enemy renders the whole mission experience unrealistic and/or broken in my humble opinion. In any other game this would be unacceptable.

Thought this may help clarify some things. AI have two kind of pathings. One is the regular ones you see out in a field, the other is specific LOD pathing. These are baked into the map or objects. They are used for when more precise pathings is needed, like in towns and complex buildings.

Seems I don't know enough about LOD to know how to comment. What I do know is that reading a paragraph in the LOD wiki made me accept the inevitable.

AI ignore the Geometry LOD when on a pathway. This means that they can walk through walls if you dont set up your pathway to lead around obstacles.

IOW what we place in editors was never factored into LOD pathways when the map was made? Boy, reading on explains why AI don't cross some bridges in A2 maps, Roadway LOD's?

Yes, that 'baked in' pathfinding was what I was referring to with the urban pathfinding comment, wasn't sure so left it a bit vague (haven't touched on that stuff since A1 but I guess it's still the same then). But now it's confirmed then.

The bridge problem is basically a core feature of the RV engine, it has been like that since OFP: Resistance :D

That and not being able to stay on roads when driving which was introduced in A1.. :P