lysan

Most disturbing information extraction from the game!

Hi all,

I just returned to Arma after a pause from it. Then I found out that my real name was in the game and I could not change it?

I don't believe this is legal at all!

Why are this game and other games from Bohemia extracting our real names from our computers? i deleted all my games from Bohemia, as I do not want to be a victim for internet hacking and fraud.

I simply can't understand anyone in their wildest fantasy thought this was a good idea.

Most disappointed former customer.

If there is a way to change it, and I was just too stupid to figure it out, please inform me as I'm not that good with PC magic.

Cheers,

Jed.

Arma 3 reads out your windows profile name for it's first profile. If your account is called something like "Acer Aspire XYZ", your first profile will be called "Acer Aspire XYZ".

You can create a second profile with a name of your choosing though.

• Like 1

Ok, but my real name is still displayed as a profile, and I don't want that, so I need to change my computer profile name too right?

Note to myself, NEVER write you real name in any profile.

I'm too old for this S###

Why are this game and other games from Bohemia extracting our real names from our computers?

As pointed out it is essentially using your Windows account username as your default profile, much in the same way many games utilise Steam usernames to automatically name profiles etc.

i deleted all my games from Bohemia, as I do not want to be a victim for internet hacking and fraud.

Its not "hacking" or "fraud", but everyone is entitled to over-react however they see fit.

I simply can't understand anyone in their wildest fantasy thought this was a good idea.

As stated above, its commonplace with many games to utilise either the Windows account username of the installer and/or the STEAM username. So A LOT of people must think it IS a good idea.

Bye.

• Like 11

1- Create a new profile with the name you want

2- Use this new profile

3- Done. Nobody will see your real name in-game.

"internet hacking or fraud", do you know that your real name is in a directory?

Ok, but my real name is still displayed as a profile, and I don't want that, so I need to change my computer profile name too right?

In main menu click Configure >> Profile >> New. Now insert name you would like, choose your face (or import custom face), choose glasses if you like, voice type, voice pitch and optionally squad url. Save and select newly created profile. That is all there is to it. Problem solved. No need to change your Windows user name.

ProTip: first thing you do after launching ANY game or app for the first time is configure it to your preferences. Set up you video and audio settings, rebind controls and so on. If you do that then you do not miss an option called profiles.

Back in the day profiles were a standard for most PC games but now it seems to cause confusion, which is alarming to put it mildly.

• Like 1

As pointed out it is essentially using your Windows account username as your default profile, much in the same way many games utilise Steam usernames to automatically name profiles etc.

Its not "hacking" or "fraud", but everyone is entitled to over-react however they see fit.

As stated above, its commonplace with many games to utilise either the Windows account username of the installer and/or the STEAM username. So A LOT of people must think it IS a good idea.

Bye.

No other game on steam has ever done, this so I guess your "common" is kind of rare. Even in DayZ SA you can change the user name, so why not in Arma?

And extracting information from your computer, is kind of not legal. It didn't work like that before.

And buy to you, as you have given zero solution compare to what other users kindly did.

In main menu click Configure >> Profile >> New. Now insert name you would like, choose your face (or import custom face), choose glasses if you like, voice type, voice pitch and optionally squad url. Save and select newly created profile. That is all there is to it. Problem solved. No need to change your Windows user name.

ProTip: first thing you do after launching ANY game or app for the first time is configure it to your preferences. Set up you video and audio settings, rebind controls and so on. If you do that then you do not miss an option called profiles.

Back in the day profiles were a standard for most PC games but now it seems to cause confusion, which is alarming to put it mildly.

Thank you for your help, other in this thread is just trolling and should just go back under their bridge.

Im not certain why Arma would be such a big deal...

It sounds like you named your  PC after yourself which would be its name on your network which means anyone hacking into that would immediately have that info...

Wouldnt that be a larger concern than say a game using it as a profile name...

Maybe I'm tired and confused as I had a shite day too...

just please tell me your name isnt Jed Slather....

• Like 5

It didn't work like that before.

Yes, in fact it did. I can guarantee you this is exactly how it worked in Arma 1 and 2. I am reasonably sure this is how it was in OFP too.

• Like 3

It sounds like you named your  PC after yourself which would be its name on your network which means anyone hacking into that would immediately have that info...

Wouldnt that be a larger concern than say a game using it as a profile name...

just please tell me your name isnt Jed Slather....

Oh. My. God. Maybe the BI Forums have hacked his computer and fraudulently displayed his real name as a username?!

Yes, in fact it did. I can guarantee you this is exactly how it worked in Arma 1 and 2. I am reasonably sure this is how it was in OFP too.

I'm 99% sure it was the case for OFP too.

• Like 1

No other game on steam has ever done, this so I guess your "common" is kind of rare. Even in DayZ SA you can change the user name, so why not in Arma?

And extracting information from your computer, is kind of not legal. It didn't work like that before.

And buy to you, as you have given zero solution compare to what other users kindly did.

Perhaps no other games that you play do this, but your statement is demonstrably false. Off the top of my head, Insurgency, Squad, and Medieval/Space Engineers all use your Steam handle.

Great, this reminds me of that one time a player commented under one of my entries in the steam workshop in panic as he thought I'd hacked his computer because in one of my missions his profile name was shown in some dialog. Hillarious! :D

Anyway, on the topic: without knowing the details of the steam EULA or Arma 3's end user agreement, I would assume by installing steam / Arma 3 you actually gave them the right to access certain data on your computer. So it's probably legal to create a local default profile using your Windows account name.

• Like 2

Yeah, been bothering me for a while as my PC Profile being:

Jack_Jaggernauf_149_Banana_Tree_Lane_Rolling_Springs_Maryland_CC#_121-3574-2020-1939

Damn you BI!

Hi all,

I just returned to Arma after a pause from it. Then I found out that my real name was in the game and I could not change it?

I don't believe this is legal at all!

Why are this game and other games from Bohemia extracting our real names from our computers? i deleted all my games from Bohemia, as I do not want to be a victim for internet hacking and fraud.

If there is a way to change it, and I was just too stupid to figure it out, please inform me as I'm not that good with PC magic.

Cheers,

Jed.

Aliens will come for you now. BIS taged you for them.

Now seriously.  Dont tel me you cant understand such simple thing as that the game uses your computer profile name? It should have stricken you as obwious explanation at the first place. 

• Like 1

Fuck!!!

Really?

I have been under the impression since this game was released BI valued me so much they created a default profile for everyone called "Peter"......

Now, talk about having a bad day.....

May this thread live on for eternity.

@Moderators: please sticky

• Like 3

I opened MS Word and my name is in many of the documents there! Not only me, the name of my cat too!

• Like 1

In fairness Windows has increasingly, through Windows 8 and 10, shepherded people into logging-in to their PC using their Microsoft account (for lots of people this will be their personal e-mail account with their real name) and you have to be reasonably savy to spot this and opt out by creating a local user account or equally clued-up to create a custom Arma profile. I wouldn't want to game under my real name and that's what's going to happen for lots of people who simply run with the defaults presented by MS and BIS. The OP's reaction is a bit OTT but I think there are grounds for BIS to consider prompting the user for a profile name or using some other default.

Mr. Jed Slather, you seem to be sabotaging your own complaint, don't you think?

• Like 3

i look at my driver license theres my full name there!! i didnt write it!!..excuse me im gonna hide in my undergorund bunker now they might come any minute now. wake up sheeple!

• Like 2

Ok, ok ,ok... you guys had your fun...

The man had a concern, that is all.  I will now lock this thread, so you can continue living "your" lives.

BUY BI PRODUCTS >>> BY PRODUCTS ARE GOOD FOR YOU >>> ALL HAIL THE BI DEV HIGH COUNCIL>>> APEX NEWS >>> TRUST IN BI >>> THE MODERATORS ARE NOT HUMAN

Have a good day :)

• Like 5