Sign in to follow this  
navydoctom

Boat issues

I am having an issue with the default Arma3 Speed boats (with miniguns) grounding themselves when traveling through rivers. I set the waypoints to the center of the river but they seem to want to do a 360 when the reach a waypoint and then they end up driving up on the shore.  Is there a way to have this not happen? I'm trying to use boats as an extract.

Also (side issue) - is there a way to tell all vehicles not to stop at every waypoint - when I have a helo taking my troops into an engagement  - I notice the bird (it happens with ground vehicles and boats too) comes to almost a complete stop at each waypoint. I would be great if the waypoint automatically knows its a moving vehicle so it doesn't slow down unless it's like a land command or a hold waypoint.

Just venting thanks.

Tommy 

for the side issue set a wider waypoint completion radius

for the main issue with boats, good luck with your boat scripting goals

only thing I can think of is an assistant script to check a modeltoworld position 5-10m infront of the boat. if that position (!surfaceiswater) then boat setdir (boat getdir (waypoint position))

If you want really cool insertion and extraction and what not use UnitCapture look on the Bis forums its here somewhere. this is the method how the single players helicopter insertions were made. dont know how unitcapture/record works online but if its just a single player scenario there should be no issues. waypoints are horrible if you want a unit to perform perfectly every time. 

@mdcclxxvi Thanks for the feed back - I am new to scripting so I have no clue what modeltoworld position does? 

@veles-zv I'm guessing that boats aren't the best extraction vehicles?

UnitCapture definitely works on boats.  Watch the beginning of the teaser video for my mission here:  Propery of Mabunga

Here you will see zodiacs navigating the river that enters Lake Limni on Altis.  This river is not navigable by AI, but I pre-recorded the paths using UnitCapture and it works great.

It does have one problem though:  UnitPlayBack does not work on a Dedicated Server.  We're all hoping BI fixes that some day.