Sign in to follow this  
DarkDruid

Quick Play (dev branch)

Hi there,

in the current version of RC branch (and soon in dev branch) you will find the new Quick Play screen. This screen is a part of the in-game Server Browser (Play -> Multiplayer) and it is a result of our ongoing work to make server searching and connection more user-friendly.

This new screen shouldn't be a substitute of the server browser itself, it is more an addition to it. You are not able to select the exact server in here, you only set some criteria for searching and the rest is done by the game for you. You can set:

• Game Type - There is number of game types available (Deathmatch, Defend, Capture the Flag etc.)
  • Max. Ping - Select what ping is yet acceptable for you.
  • Looking for the best match - If you select this, game doesn't connect you to the first matching server found, but it goes through all available servers and selects the best one.

It is worth to mention that the new Quick Play takes into account even the mods currently enabled in your game. So it shouldn't happen that it will try to connect you to a server with mod you don't have.
Please keep in mind that the released version is still work in progress. Feel free to let us know your ideas, experiences or bugs you may experience. The best place for any feedback is this thread.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback and help!

Screenshot:

Cilbo0GWgAA-3ts.jpg

• Like 13

I don't play any multiplayer at all, but this looks like a very neat feature. Good job guys :D

I dont know how well its implemented right now but maybe you should go more into Detail with the Gamemodes,

for example Sa´Matras King of the Hill or specific versions of Altis Life as the current Categorys are just some general

Terms but not Types that many Servers actually use.

As an owner of a server running a couple end game servers, this is something I've been waiting for, for ages.  It's a godsend.  Thank you. 

While you're visiting this area, is it possible that we can get some more game type options to choose from?

Zombie and RPG would be best, but some other classics would be really nice, even if they won't be used quite yet. 

I dont know how well its implemented right now but maybe you should go more into Detail with the Gamemodes,

for example Sa´Matras King of the Hill or specific versions of Altis Life as the current Categorys are just some general

Terms but not Types that many Servers actually use.

I think that's more up to the mod. Since those game modes are not official, they usually go under CTF and COOP.

Nice one. You're giving so much love to ArmA 3 lately :) Maybe you could add a basic thing to SP missions: The possibility to exit without saving (Cancel), because currently SP missions we can only "Save and Exit".

Haven't tried it yet, but very nice that it checks for mod compatibility!

Nice feature. I think the player count would be also helpful. E.g.: if i want to join to 30-40ppl ctf or 6-10ppl.

Nice feature. I think the player count would be also helpful. E.g.: if i want to join to 30-40ppl ctf or 6-10ppl.

Or "n% slots occupied" - Yes, most important factor I think, as I don't like to play on an empty server.

• Like 1

Unable to join server missing:

Exile Mod on attempt 1

ACE Mods on attempt 2

Attempt 3 just left at a picture of Altis

...nice idea but doesn't work.

While you're visiting this area, is it possible that we can get some more game type options to choose from?

We are currently revising already existing game mods and this question is discussed inside the team. No promises at this moment, but it is possible that there will be some adjustments related to the game mods.

Or "n% slots occupied" - Yes, most important factor I think, as I don't like to play on an empty server.

The quick join algorithm takes into account a lot of various things and this is one of them. We tried to keep the screen as simple and easy to use as possible. Some parameters are hardcoded and cannot by changed by user. Number of occupied slots is one of those hardcoded parameters, so you should be preferably connected to reasonably populated servers. The system connects you to an empty server only if there is no reasonably populated server matching criteria set by you available.

Exile Mod on attempt 1

ACE Mods on attempt 2

I am not sure what is the issue exactly. If you weren't able to connect to any server when running Exile/ACE mod, then there is probably no such server available. Please keep in mind that the system runs currently only in RC (Release Candidate) and Development branch and there isn't many servers using these game versions. If the issue is that system tried to connect you to server which you cannot be connected to (missing mods), then could you please provide us with more complex description? We weren't experiencing this issue so far. Thank you!

• Like 1

Sorry I should have expanded, I tried the quick play option, it then attempted to join me on a server running the mods I mentioned which I do not have installed. On the 3rd attempt thinking it may have just been a bug it just left me on the load screen ingame i.e. a picture of Altis with nothing happenning.

... The system connects you to an empty server only if there is no reasonably populated server matching criteria set by you available.

I think it would be better to ask the user if he want to join to an empty server or not, wouldn't it? The feature is for quick play. You can't play e.g. CTF or SC alone.

Exile Mod on attempt 1

ACE Mods on attempt 2

It may not be an issue with Quick Play, Arma 3 Multiplayer seems to be completely broken at the moment. Can't download missions from hosted servers at all; they get stuck at either 14 or 28 KB

Nice to see something like this happen but please improve it considerable to make it really useful and accessible:

1) The game type should have two layers:

First COOP (PvE) or PvP (one could even strongly argue to have RPG, Survival and Zeus (or better Game master) as complete separate here as well)

Second the actual game types per specific first layer selection

However you have to make sure the popular game modes all have their own unique game type as otherwise the option is not useful for most people

(I want to play Exile and not randomly some other type of Survival, like BP) (see 2)

2) It needs more unique and useful game types:

Like for each popular RPG and survival game mode their own game type (they still have enough different sub variants and 3rd party modifications on-top of that).

BR needs its own type, King of the Hill is missing (its a concept not limited to the current popular A3 mission/game mode), so is C&H (seize is not the same nor

the common term for it). RTS could be useful (not the same as CTI).

Warfare (usually "MP Campaign modes with 2-3h games without respawn and limited resources)

Best would be not have this hardcoded, or to let the community submit/vote on additional type with the list continuously updated.

See also: https://dev.withsix.com/issues/11099

3) Filter for respawn vs no respawn should be added (or even what type of respawn as combo box/list).

4) Persistent filter would be quite useful too (not the server option but a new setting in desc.ext if the game mode uses DB or similar)

5) Filter for low (< 20), middle (20-50) or high (>50) player count server

6) A filter for popular mods/total modifications (ACE, RHS, CUP, ALiVE, MCC. TacBF, Epoch, BR, BWMod, IFA3, FoW, Overwatch, SFP, CAF, EvsW, HAFM, PLA, VM, FFAA, ADF, etc - the implicit mod matching is something else, this would be to find it even if you dont have the mods yet)

Ref: 

http://arma3.swec.se/game/statistics

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma3_files_modules&s=count&w=desc&d=0

• Like 3

Really weird choice of feature to add imo.
I could think of much better stuff needing fixing that an ingame quick join imo

Considering the player has to already decided which mods they want to use beforehand.
So at that stage they have already decided on either to play a vanilla or a specific type of modded server.

It would made more sense if arma supported dynamic changing the mods loaded.

-----------------

As for game types, you could let the addon authors themselves be able to add different game types into the mod config.cpp (or what the new version is now).
Then just adjust the mission description.ext & server query to be able to handle this feature.

That way mods like Exile/Epoch/2017/BattleRoyale/Alive/Ace could make up their own game modes, without having to bug BIS to add a new game mode.
Lastly the UI really needs work

It would made more sense if arma supported dynamic changing the mods loaded.

Unfortunately a dev stated on Reddit that this one would not be solved in Arma 3's lifetime.

Unfortunately a dev stated on Reddit that this one would not be solved in Arma 3's lifetime.

Such a pity, I have to agree that would be the biggest win, rather than quitting just to select or deselect mods which by the time you rejoin space possibly gone on busy servers...

It would just need to detect the missing mods, determine if they are in the workshop, ask if the user wants to exit the game, have the stuff download, restart the game and rejoin the server.

In fact Ondrej had this already implemented at the end of A2:OA for Sickboy/withSIX.. unfortunately there was a big disconnect to the A3 project.. gave Dwarden the private dev heaven tickets,

but sadly seems of not enough importance to the A3 leadership.

Sorry I should have expanded, I tried the quick play option, it then attempted to join me on a server running the mods I mentioned which I do not have installed. On the 3rd attempt thinking it may have just been a bug it just left me on the load screen ingame i.e. a picture of Altis with nothing happenning.

It may not be an issue with Quick Play, Arma 3 Multiplayer seems to be completely broken at the moment. Can't download missions from hosted servers at all; they get stuck at either 14 or 28 KB

Yes, you are right, there seems to be something broken in the system. We are looking into it. Thanks for your feedback!

I think it would be better to ask the user if he want to join to an empty server or not, wouldn't it? The feature is for quick play. You can't play e.g. CTF or SC alone.

This sounds good to me. We will reconsider something like this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nice to see something like this happen but please improve it considerable to make it really useful and accessible:

1) The game type should have two layers:

First COOP (PvE) or PvP (one could even strongly argue to have RPG, Survival and Zeus (or better Game master) as complete separate here as well)

Second the actual game types per specific first layer selection

However you have to make sure the popular game modes all have their own unique game type as otherwise the option is not useful for most people

(I want to play Exile and not randomly some other type of Survival, like BP) (see 2)

2) It needs more unique and useful game types:

Like for each popular RPG and survival game mode their own game type (they still have enough different sub variants and 3rd party modifications on-top of that).

BR needs its own type, King of the Hill is missing (its a concept not limited to the current popular A3 mission/game mode), so is C&H (seize is not the same nor

the common term for it). RTS could be useful (not the same as CTI).

Warfare (usually "MP Campaign modes with 2-3h games without respawn and limited resources)

Best would be not have this hardcoded, or to let the community submit/vote on additional type with the list continuously updated.

See also: https://dev.withsix.com/issues/11099

3) Filter for respawn vs no respawn should be added (or even what type of respawn as combo box/list).

4) Persistent filter would be quite useful too (not the server option but a new setting in desc.ext if the game mode uses DB or similar)

5) Filter for low (< 20), middle (20-50) or high (>50) player count server

6) A filter for popular mods/total modifications (ACE, RHS, CUP, ALiVE, MCC. TacBF, Epoch, BR, BWMod, IFA3, FoW, Overwatch, SFP, CAF, EvsW, HAFM, PLA, VM, FFAA, ADF, etc - the implicit mod matching is something else, this would be to find it even if you dont have the mods yet)

Ref: 

http://arma3.swec.se/game/statistics

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma3_files_modules&s=count&w=desc&d=0

The new quick play feature is currently mainly intended for players who want to try something new or have only vague idea what to play. Because of this, we wanted to keep the screen simple and easy to use. There will be probably some additional changes and maybe even some of them will be in the direction you have proposed. But for people with detailed idea what they want to play, use of the server browser (with number of filters and options) seems definitely like a better idea. Anyway, thanks for all the proposals, we will look into them!

As for game types, you could let the addon authors themselves be able to add different game types into the mod config.cpp (or what the new version is now).

Then just adjust the mission description.ext & server query to be able to handle this feature.

That way mods like Exile/Epoch/2017/BattleRoyale/Alive/Ace could make up their own game modes, without having to bug BIS to add a new game mode.

Lastly the UI really needs work

We already tried this solution some time ago and unfortunately it didn't work very well. Every typo creates a new game type, not talking about related technical difficulties.

It would just need to detect the missing mods, determine if they are in the workshop, ask if the user wants to exit the game, have the stuff download, restart the game and rejoin the server.

In fact Ondrej had this already implemented at the end of A2:OA for Sickboy/withSIX.. unfortunately there was a big disconnect to the A3 project.. gave Dwarden the private dev heaven tickets,

but sadly seems of not enough importance to the A3 leadership.

I believe all this should be already implemented in Launcher. You can try it yourself, any related feedback is welcome. There is a dedicated thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/topic/180024-official-arma-3-launcher-dev-branch/

• Like 2

Keeping it simple is fine... click advanced for advanced options maybe ?

Is it just me or is Endgame missing from the game mode listbox?

simpler is better for this sort of feature

most of the suggestions in this thread are to add complexity

my suggestion:

add an extra config to  description.ext   class Header

class Header
{
    gameType = CTF; // Game type, see 'class' columns in the table below
    minPlayers = 1; //min # of players the mission supports
    maxPlayers = 10; //max # of players the mission supports
    quickPlayKeyword = "BR";  // keyword used by quickplay system to identify your mission/version/etc
};

for scenario designers to interface with the quickplay system for easy search-ability without adding much fuss.

Basically an extension of gametype to denote a particular scenario within that gametype.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Multiplayer_Game_Types

Also ping tolerance should be based on game type. You don't need a sub-100 ping to play COOP or PvE. This would open a wider range of servers to players.

add an extra config to  description.ext   class Header

How is that supposed to work? Will QP show this tag in the listbox?

@ darkdruid

Is there any more work planned on this feature?

Do you have stats how much and how successful it is used by people?

IMHO it would have had the chance to promote the non top5-10 game modes,

yet due to the scope and feature limitation it is far less useful and lower impact

than it could have been. :(