.kju

Iron Front in Arm3 LITE - preview versions

1 hour ago, Kerc Kasha said:

If you're planning on using it for players it should work fine, but it's usually intended for players to choose to jump out themselves. To get it to work with AI you'll have to make sure they're in 'cargo' rather than the 'standing up' position, just a little quirk with how the AI works when under a players command, which doesn't happen when the leader is AI.

I've put a fix in for the next version

Understood! Thanks for the quick reply 🙂

Also, I must say the mod is looking amazing these days, I'm already looking forward to playing this campaign I've started working on with my mates and we're not even playing it until later till autumn, the british stuff is very very nice.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, .kju said:

Damn that was intense! Great job on that vid - best one I've seen!

• Like 1

I really like this mod. One issue I'm having however is that in the staszow Poland map the fighter planes don't always follow the runway correctly when taking off but instead they steer off the runway almost hitting trees. And I had placed buildings near the runway so that the plane that was trying to takeoff crashed on the building.

I think it's because the runway is bumpy so that the plane steers to off from the runway. Any change this could get looked at and fixed?

• Thanks 1

STALINGRAD    vid  

Brilliant piece of work .  A lot of hard work /time gone into that.

👍

Major Problems:

1. In missions with more than a couple of units submachineguns will stop working. This is true for the MP-40 and the PPSH-41. If you pull the trigger it will take between 15 and 20 seconds before a bullet actually comes out of the gun. This does not happen with Faces of War MP40s or Thompsons under any conditions. (Extremely old, like many years old, problem)

2. Airplanes, specifically the JU-52, will circle for eternity when not flying over completely flat terrain. (Old problem)

3. German soldiers do not have proper identities set and will sometimes default to American English language for voice protocol. (Ancient problem)

4. Landing craft, specifically the LCVP, will sometimes start driving sideways when they have to make a small turn in the water. Stuck in this "sideways movement" they will go approximately 1 mile an hour, reaching a shoreline not too far away in several hours real-life time.

5. When some troops are paradropped from airplanes using the static line paradrop waypoint their parachute will not deploy. When they hit they ground they will not die, but instead be stuck in the skydiving animation. If they can escape this animation and return to walking around and shooting like normal they are invincible and can never be killed or hurt.

These things absolutely ruin the game. Please fix them.

16 hours ago, pognivet said:

Major Problems:

1. In missions with more than a couple of units submachineguns will stop working. This is true for the MP-40 and the PPSH-41. If you pull the trigger it will take between 15 and 20 seconds before a bullet actually comes out of the gun. This does not happen with Faces of War MP40s or Thompsons under any conditions. (Extremely old, like many years old, problem)

2. Airplanes, specifically the JU-52, will circle for eternity when not flying over completely flat terrain. (Old problem)

3. German soldiers do not have proper identities set and will sometimes default to American English language for voice protocol. (Ancient problem)

4. Landing craft, specifically the LCVP, will sometimes start driving sideways when they have to make a small turn in the water. Stuck in this "sideways movement" they will go approximately 1 mile an hour, reaching a shoreline not too far away in several hours real-life time.

5. When some troops are paradropped from airplanes using the static line paradrop waypoint their parachute will not deploy. When they hit they ground they will not die, but instead be stuck in the skydiving animation. If they can escape this animation and return to walking around and shooting like normal they are invincible and can never be killed or hurt.

These things absolutely ruin the game. Please fix them.

Mate, momental this mod its free : "These things absolutely ruin the game. Please fix them."  not good what you write. This not CoD WW2 or another game. Its community mod. Many probleme made AI, more and more units on map = probleme with AI. ArmA3 not game as CoD WW2 , its simulator.

1) How many units you use?  And you think AI fire or you fire?

2) AI, if AI no see target ist problem bombing or fire. This its as in reality

3) Problem after every DLC update. Apex, Contact, all added new native but added made problem.

4) AI. ArmA its mainly ground simulator

5) ? :O 

Send video with your probleme.

• Like 4

#1 and #5 are a direct result of the scheduler being overloaded

your mission must be running really awfully for it to come to that.

#4 is the 'speed boost' hack I threw in with the sea assault waypoint, it works most of the time but if its causing you issues just switch it off

we can fix 1 and 5 but if your game is running at really low fps you're gonna get some bugs and need to reduce complexity of your mission

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, pognivet said:

[]

49 minutes ago, Kerc Kasha said:

@pognivet  -and others that might be interested- A quick explanation what Kerc means exactly:
Super simply put, you can execute code in two way in ArmA: Unscheduled and scheduled.

Unscheduled code will always run until it's done. Meaning: If your code is really bad, your game will freeze until the code was executed completely.

Scheduled code is put into the scheduler, which basically has a fixed time limit to execute code.

This means if you have one script, it will use 100% of the scheduler's available time.

If you run the script twice, both will get 50% of the time and so on.

Now, if your mission has too many or too intensive scripts running, the scheduler will always just execute  a bit of each script, then go on with the next one.

Your mission seems to be full of many large and poorly-written scripts, so that the scheduler can't process them properly at a time.

This way your game doesn't freeze, but all scripts need an eternity to finish or even start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Scheduler when under load can also execute stuff incorrectly, running script commands out of order etc. It's quite frankly, shit. there's a reason stuff like ACE etc move away from it

12 hours ago, Kerc Kasha said:

your mission must be running really awfully for it to come to that.

#4 is the 'speed boost' hack I threw in with the sea assault waypoint, it works most of the time but if its causing you issues just switch it off

we can fix 1 and 5 but if your game is running at really low fps you're gonna get some bugs and need to reduce complexity of your mission

what is this speed boost hack? should a move waypoint be given almost to the shore and then the amphibious assault waypoint only a couple meters ahead? is this "speed boost" intended to beach the craft? please elaborate. i am interested.

11 hours ago, laxemann said:

@pognivet  -and others that might be interested- A quick explanation what Kerc means exactly:
Super simply put, you can execute code in two way in ArmA: Unscheduled and scheduled.

Unscheduled code will always run until it's done. Meaning: If your code is really bad, your game will freeze until the code was executed completely.

Scheduled code is put into the scheduler, which basically has a fixed time limit to execute code.

This means if you have one script, it will use 100% of the scheduler's available time.

If you run the script twice, both will get 50% of the time and so on.

Now, if your mission has too many or too intensive scripts running, the scheduler will always just execute  a bit of each script, then go on with the next one.

Your mission seems to be full of many large and poorly-written scripts, so that the scheduler can't process them properly at a time.

This way your game doesn't freeze, but all scripts need an eternity to finish or even start.

well, the only problem with that hypothesis is that the mission does not use any scripting whatsoever. therefore, it cannot be the source of the issue. the source of the issue seems to be the way the submachineguns are configured. apparently their firing is somehow executed in this "scheduled" way, but the gun firing its ammunition seems to be a very low priority in this "schedule". in some way or another, the weapons from other world war 2 mods are not programmed in this same manner and therefore do not suffer from this problem.

1 hour ago, pognivet said:

what is this speed boost hack? should a move waypoint be given almost to the shore and then the amphibious assault waypoint only a couple meters ahead? is this "speed boost" intended to beach the craft? please elaborate. i am interested.

in the amphibious assault waypoint, when you place it there's a check box for enabling/disabling speedboost.

it just gives extra velocity to the boat (up to maximum) because the AI moves incredibly slow towards shore because for whatever reason they try to avoid beaching themselves when trying to land. the speed boost was to stop that from happening and have them just speed towards land.

But if you have them too tight together, not facing directly towards their waypoint etc they'll start turning like idiots and this can interfere with the script. I couldn't work out a good solution for it so I simply allowed people to turn it off if they have issues and it will behave as per vanilla.

As for the move waypoint - you want them to be fairly close to shore, a couple hundred meters at maximum before you issue it, and they need to be roughly facing the right direction for optimal placement.

@pognivet please upload a (simple) demo mission to our issue tracker

PS: If you run low fps, and this comes largely from too many entities (players, AI, vehicles, objects) and too high drawing distance (next to video options), you get script scheduler affected too. So its not just about scripts running.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:03 AM, Kerc Kasha said:

in the amphibious assault waypoint, when you place it there's a check box for enabling/disabling speedboost.

it just gives extra velocity to the boat (up to maximum) because the AI moves incredibly slow towards shore because for whatever reason they try to avoid beaching themselves when trying to land. the speed boost was to stop that from happening and have them just speed towards land.

But if you have them too tight together, not facing directly towards their waypoint etc they'll start turning like idiots and this can interfere with the script. I couldn't work out a good solution for it so I simply allowed people to turn it off if they have issues and it will behave as per vanilla.

As for the move waypoint - you want them to be fairly close to shore, a couple hundred meters at maximum before you issue it, and they need to be roughly facing the right direction for optimal placement.

thanks. i appreciate you taking the time to explain. this really helps me a lot.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:42 AM, .kju said:

@pognivet please upload a (simple) demo mission to our issue tracker

PS: If you run low fps, and this comes largely from too many entities (players, AI, vehicles, objects) and too high drawing distance (next to video options), you get script scheduler affected too. So its not just about scripts running.

The only problem is that the FPS is fine, everything else is fine, no script lag with anything. Everything is just very normal and fine. It's just the submachineguns that behave in that bizarre way, and only Iron Front ones. I will try to upload a demo mission soon. Perhaps the problem is on my end, but I don't think so because I have friends who complain to me all the time about the same issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@pognivet

12 hours ago, pognivet said:

thanks. i appreciate you taking the time to explain. this really helps me a lot.

The only problem is that the FPS is fine, everything else is fine, no script lag with anything. Everything is just very normal and fine. It's just the submachineguns that behave in that bizarre way, and only Iron Front ones. I will try to upload a demo mission soon. Perhaps the problem is on my end, but I don't think so because I have friends who complain to me all the time about the same issue.

What happens if you open an empty VR world szenario and shoot there?

12 hours ago, laxemann said:

@pognivet

What happens if you open an empty VR world szenario and shoot there?

If I'm the only person in existence they work as expected, but if there's even just two squads fighting it begins to degrade rapidly. I mean just like a battle between like 20 people, most of them using bolt action rifles anyway, and it gets to the point where I put someone in my sights, pull the trigger and like 4 seconds after they run off the gun actually fires.

On 8/24/2019 at 2:14 AM, pognivet said:

If I'm the only person in existence they work as expected, but if there's even just two squads fighting it begins to degrade rapidly. I mean just like a battle between like 20 people, most of them using bolt action rifles anyway, and it gets to the point where I put someone in my sights, pull the trigger and like 4 seconds after they run off the gun actually fires.

I've been having this issue aswell, though its not 4 second hitch, more like a .5 second delay....buts still effectively eliminates me using them.  I assumed it was a mod incompatibility or bad load order. 

Just had an epic 1on1 bolt action rifle shootout across a narrow field, so much excitement from a mission whipped up in under 15 minutes!

Also saw my virtual face eat a rifle grenade that came flying through a window (!) whilst sniping some 101st inf xD

The slow pacing and everything low spec about ww2 is what makes it so good from a gameplay perspective.

Be assured of my endless appreciation for you guys keeping Iron Front alive in a superior engine!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Lucasam said:

I've been having this issue aswell, though its not 4 second hitch, more like a .5 second delay....buts still effectively eliminates me using them.  I assumed it was a mod incompatibility or bad load order. 

Yeah, I mean it varies. I've had it just be like .5 before, but I've had it so bad one time it was almost comical. I had a Faces of War MP40 which was working fine, but I ran out of ammo. So I go and pick up this IFA3 PPSH-41 that was on a recently departed Soviet in a house. As I pick up the PPSH I notice that there are more Soviets just outside of the house. I aim through a window and press down the trigger - nothing happens. I press it again and again. Nothing. I begin to run away towards where most of the Germans were along with all the trucks and ammo and shit. The Soviets that had been around the building hadn't seen me and so I sprinted straight across an open field in order to make haste. In the middle of this open field the gun I'm holding suddenly starts firing and doesn't stop until the mag is empty. The Soviets immediately see me and cut me in half with a DP-28.