.kju

Iron Front in Arm3 LITE - preview versions

I figured after you guys focused more on the NAC that we'd see a delay in British sector of Normandy but I am still very excited. Through my channels, I've also noticed seemingly every major WW2 mod is looking to Holland as well. FF focusing on it, FOW with Dutch buildings and even you guys with the paras. It may well be in the next year we may see a Market Garden scenario. 

Kudos for the update!

One thing still  there though:

when we switch the shell type in a tank, the "loading" green / red doesn't change, it stays green.

Fabulous update team!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work on our behalf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wiki said:

when we switch the shell type in a tank, the "loading" green / red doesn't change, it stays green.

Yup getting same thing, switch from AP to HE.

• Pak40 guns themselves when the gun shoots, the cannon barrel slides like way back behind the gun, crazy to see.
  • AI in Tanks drive at full speed, zip around like the driver is drunk and high at the same time, been finding them flipped over too on fences, and stone walls.
  • Thanks 1

BTW, very nice work on the showcase!!!!

I hope for more SP missions and / or campaign soon with this mod!

I know we have talented mission makers, that would be so great!

• Thanks 1

@Gunter Severloh we noticed the strange AI behavior too.

if you have a simple demo mission, or some more insights when it happens or when it does not, please share

Hotfix 1 changelog

• Added: Rifle Grenadiers to DAK.
  • Fixed: faulty "WW2_Objects_m_Structures_WW2_Buildings_m" preloading.
  • Fixed: texture paths of two Tobruk signs.
  • Fixed: Pak40 and Zis3 are no longer so overpowered that the barrel shoots off the chassis.
  • Fixed: String for 75mm - was using the 6pnder string.
  • Fixed: typo in Tobruk description text.
  • Fixed: missing string in rpt.

Server admin patch (17 MB)
http://ww2ina3.com/wiki/index.php?title=WW2_Download#Hotfix_1

Make sure to delete all bikey and bisign from IFA3 first (use agent ransack tool)!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Will do kju, my theory on why they are flipping is they are driving at full speed and hitting obstacles, yet to see it.

Another thought is reviewing the changelog from the latest update, these listings i wonder:

Features

• Changed: disabled anti flip running by default for now until improved. (Tanks are flipping on just about everything, or getting stuck, i seen a tank drive somehow hit and run over top a stone wall 2ft high and blow up)

Terrains

• Changed: defined base surface in order to standardize terrains surfaces. ( Whats this mean? is it possible that tanks have less resistance on terrain now enabling them to be able to drive faster or full speed?)

Assets

• Added: ejectDeadCargo = true to all tanks. (something i noticed is when a tank is about to blow up, crew bails, they run and right when the tank blows, crew somehow vanishes, think this has a bug)

Tech details

• Changed: removed non working allowDamage in anti flip system.
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 3:13 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Will do kju, my theory on why they are flipping is they are driving at full speed and hitting obstacles, yet to see it.

Another thought is reviewing the changelog from the latest update, these listings i wonder:

Features

• Changed: disabled anti flip running by default for now until improved. (Tanks are flipping on just about everything, or getting stuck, i seen a tank drive somehow hit and run over top a stone wall 2ft high and blow up)

Terrains

• Changed: defined base surface in order to standardize terrains surfaces. ( Whats this mean? is it possible that tanks have less resistance on terrain now enabling them to be able to drive faster or full speed?)

Assets

• Added: ejectDeadCargo = true to all tanks. (something i noticed is when a tank is about to blow up, crew bails, they run and right when the tank blows, crew somehow vanishes, think this has a bug)

Tech details

• Changed: removed non working allowDamage in anti flip system.

EjectDeadCargo is a config parameter, all it does is if a unit is riding outside the tank and they're killed they'll fall off. Previously the animation was bugged and they'd just sit there 'undead'. What you're reporting isn't anything we're doing.

On 4/1/2019 at 7:09 AM, Wiki said:

Kudos for the update!

One thing still  there though:

This can't be fixed until the next arma version, limitation im afraid.

• Thanks 1

Great update - i love this underused era of WW2 -time for an Indiana Jones meets Rommel mission

Glad you guys added the bazooka (Panzerfaust?) guy to the German AT squad but unfortunatley it didnt make it into the AfriKorp troops. On that topic - I dont know much about the AT style grenade used in WW2 -but the AI guys have about a 95% of just blowing themselves up and the rest of their squad rather than landing any damaging hits. Ive set up a scenario in which a Russia SPG is immobilized and I have anywhere from 5-20 exclusively AI AT Grenadiers and they pretty much just cant hit the mark no matter how close or far they are to the enemy tank. These grenades appear to explode only on impact and the tank takes zero splash damage surviving unlimited 'close attacks' so really this type of AT troop is more a liability suicide squad than anything else. Dont know if its possible to get the Grenadier -which im guessing is hard coded to throw for splash damage to actually aim to hit the direct top of the tank but if possible would be much appreciated.

Edit: Note all subSkills were set to a Maximum 1

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kerc Kasha said:

EjectDeadCargo is a config parameter, all it does is if a unit is riding outside the tank and they're killed they'll fall off. Previously the animation was bugged and they'd just sit there 'undead'. What you're reporting isn't anything we're doing.

Ok. I have a couple of pics of some tanks in a mission driving in circles only IFA3 running, where the tanks have 1 move waypoint and then a guard waypoint after, instead of sitting at the guard

and moving when something spotted or heard they drive full speed in a circle without stop.

i had 2 tanks in a small infantry squad, the squad got aboard one of the tanks, and all they do is full speed race to the move, and then full speed at the guard then drive in circles forever.

I tried another scenerio had a squad of tanks showed up in the village i was defending before i can even get ready, i was like how did these guys get here so fast!?

The i watched in a camera and as soon as the mission started, again a move and a gaurd waypoint for this other scenario, they full speed, i wasn't expect them for almost 5min and they showed up in about 2.

And they were placed far out too.

Never did this before the update, idk what happened but i dont have any speed set for the waypoints they are default.

heres the 2 screenshots, this is ingame in the editor and im watching through the splendid camera:

43783B814108EDF39C3764BCF3E7C8329F17203D

3B6D0AB04B38A77676B79A940072EA16F32BB7C8

you guys seeing this on your end?

One more thing, is it at all possible to reduce or make it somewhat rare for a tanks track/s to get blown off?

I mean its a bit overkill and i dont think its historically accurate that tanks are getting knocked off almost every encounter with another tank,

it makes tanking really not that fun after a while because you cant go far and you hope and pray you dont get your track knocked off.

• Like 1

Congrats on the big release!  You guys have simply outdone yourselves and result is pretty astounding. :wine:

Initial takeaway:  When leading a IFA3 UK squad, I noticed that when ordering AI subordinates around, they would not report important info. For instance, upon ordering AI to move to position, they would NOT say “On The Way”, “Copy That”, “Roger”, “Understood”, etc and then upon arriving they would NOT say “Standing By”, “Waiting”, “Ready”.

Checked and this is now also true when commanding IFA3 US AI subordinates. Tested quickly with IFA3 Russian squad and IFA3 German squad and they report this info just fine. Now, I’m 99% sure IFA3 US subordinates used to report these statements aloud. This lack of verbal feedback from subordinates is bugging me and affecting my ability to effectively command my squad.

Anyone else recall IFA3 US subordinates used to report this info (aloud), upon being commanded to move (and upon arriving at destination)?

Here’s some more info on the issue (and a possible solution), for those interested:

Spoiler

Dug a bit further. Both US and UK share the same radio protocol “RadioProtocolENG”. Russia uses "RadioProtocol_SU" and Germany used "RadioProtocol_GER". Looked into all these radio protocols and noticed the big difference between “RadioProtocolENG” and the two others is that “RadioProtocolENG” has config entry “priority”, while the others do not. (More on that “priority” bit shortly...)

Next, I started the game without IFA3 loaded, and tested this with NATO men (who also use “RadioProtocolENG”). If you have a radio in your inventory (which NATO men do by default), and order your subordinate to move, he will report aloud. However, if you drop your radio and then order him to move, he will NOT report aloud. At this point, applied a bit of deduction. IFA3 men don’t carry radios. So this is not an IFA3 issue per say (as again I tested without IFA3 loaded and see the problem with vanilla units too), but it is certainly negatively impacting a great many IFA3 units (all the English speaking ones), again because no radios.  [Note - I am not advocating to add radios to any WW2 units, just to get all AI speech working correctly, like with Russians and Germans.]

In “RadioProtocolENG”, I checked out “SentConfirmMove” (one of the entries in question), and turns out this entry has a relatively low priority of 300, as compared to virtually all other entries (which are up around 800+). I am now wondering if “priority” affects whether a statement is spoken aloud when the player has no radio. And if so, perhaps BIS lowered the “priority” for some of these entries during a recent game update, which would be one explanation for IFA3 US soldiers failing to speak when commanded to move.

Any insight regarding any of this would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to get all squads speaking properly again!

@Gunter Severloh

Great info and pics about vehicles going too fast.  I'm having the same issues, and it's not just tanks.  I also think the acceleration is set way too high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@madrussian the IF radio protocol (GER and SOV) are based on A2 tech, the others A3 tech. in other words you are seeing the difference of the more complex A2 RP vs the simplified A3 one. thats about it

we are considering to port them to A3 but its fairly complex, means other missing words instead and potentially other issues

• Thanks 1

@Gunter Severloh we also noticed some weird behavior with tanks (snake lines and not being able to hit a WP quickly or at all - the circle behavior you describe).

we have no clue where its coming from as we didnt change anything as far as we can tell.

we can see the snake line behavior also with BI tanks though. so could be a result of the PhysX library update from BI a few patches ago.

---

as for ADS: https://feedback.ww2ina3.com/T1256

it will come eventually but not any time soon

we will look into tank tracks though, plus some "OFP like damage system" module for SP/COOP

• Thanks 1

@froggyluv can you send us a simple demo mission for the AT grenade issue with infantry to see your issue exactly

PS: Kerc 

> panzershreck didnt exist in North Africa

> it was created from captured bazooka examples from that period iirc

@.kju

https://db.tt/mFyLR9OXMp

Here's sample mission. 16 AT Grenadiers in players group -an SPG (because it cant rotate its turret which would kill all your players very quickly) rolls right next to players team maybe 20m out. Just start surrounding the tank and most AI cant seem to make an accurate throw falling well short of their mark and just killing themselves. I myself just got killed by them right before zipping up the file  -dozens of grenades are thrown -the tank just sits there unscathed.

• Thanks 1

guys,

do you mind if i use some compositions for my own mission?

thanks

• Thanks 1

Also, can you increase the turret rotation speed of the Tiger?

I know you decreased it, but now it's really too slow.

IF the team set the traverse speed for the Tiger 1 to be historically accurate which im assuming they did to a point then according to this page:

http://www.alanhamby.com/technical.shtml

Traverse - speed 25 to 60 seconds depending on engine speed.

============

If you guys need a ton of information, specifications, model type, variations ect,. for all tanks WW2 here is a page that can help, a beautiful reference:

WW2 Tank Encyclopedia

Germany http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/ww2_german_panzers.php

Soviet Union http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/ww2_Soviet_Tanks.php

USA http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/US/ww2_US_Tanks.php

United Kingdom http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/ww2_British_Tanks.php

@Gunter Severloh you are welcome to discuss it yet again our discord with our history buffs

the way its set is due to sources and actual battlefield reality (and not producer numbers or best case scenarios that didnt happen in the actual war) 

what is the case for this particular example, you have to talked about with them

I just noticed that there is clutter like "Cars (Driverless)" etc. in 3den ... but why? Bloats up the list more than necessary, imo.

/Edit: Also the - as example - Opel Blitz appears 3 times, same model just a different texture. Can't this be moved into TextureSources? That's what it is there for, after all.

/Edit2: Actually I just realized it is already... then why add it to the list two more times anyway? It's just so much clutter. IMO you guys need to consider a serious cleanup here.

• Confused 1

Im not stating what the IFA3 team has put together is inaccurate, all i merely pointed out to Wiki in relation to the reference i linked

is according to the reference 25-60 sec is about the speed of the transverse of the Tiger 1 based on the speed of the engine, and in relation to the team's work

i only assumed that you guys had already accounted for the traverse speed based on historical data as you said.

I enjoy WW2 history, i prefer to have a believable, immersive, at least realistic game but im not going to point out any historical inaccuracies unless i run into something that dont seem to fit,

that stands out as not believable in terms of the era of how the machines, weapons, ect,. worked during those times.  If it looks farfetched or overkill or not enough then it makes me research and bring it to

the team's attention unless you guys already know about it, and thats part reason why i linked those references, only trying to help out is all.

This is one of the reasons i brought up in a previous post the tank tracks being blown off so easily as not only does it ruin the game, but then it begs me to question whether that was realistic or not.

i do know about some tanks vs others breaking down by mechanical failure, as engine wise, or other but i've yet to find anything on tank tracks being blown off on almost every encounter.

On another note for those who are interested in DAK heres a cool site to check out http://deutsches-afrikakorps.blogspot.com/

• Thanks 1

@Wiki go ahead - you have the OK from Jaki 👍