.kju

Iron Front in Arm3 LITE - preview versions

Hello IFA3 community, I am working on trying to "improve" a bit the uniform textures and equipment of IFA3 that does not bring the GEIST addon with my almost non-existent skills in photoshop so I could use the help in a couple of points of someone.

For now I show you: Jacket M43:

• Recolored
  • Added satin fabric texture
  • Recoloured vests and backpacks
  • Place buttons on the uniform

Aspirations:

• Create variant M42
  • Create variant M41
  • Add variants of uniforms with different badges of Divisions

My knowledge of creation of addon is scarce. Right now I need help to be able to take my textures to an addon dependent on IFA3.

What I want is:

• Take existing uniforms and equipment in IFA3 and add new variants with the new textures and a name that fits the new model
  • If it is possible to change the emblem of the divinity shown in each new uniform version
  • Finally create two new factions called something like "US Army (Post-Normandy)" and "US Airborne" which have the same soldiers of their original IFA3 homologous only with the difference that they use the news models of uniforms )

0713587299eacc9002c733bdf5b67fc207e82009

17186029e5413631eb7c7be682887b1e6117a0ef

For those willing to help me convert this into an addon.

Spoiler

I have the textures, and I know how to create an addons that can be loaded in ArmA 3, but I have no idea how to configure the Config.bin to be able to define all these things. If anyone could create a Config.bin template with a couple of notes so that each area or line works, I could fill in the lines with my own data and addresses, as long as they were as explanatory as possible and left the template as elaborate as possible. If I manage to create this proto addon I will upload it for free use, it will even be without signature because I do not have the tools for it so it is free to be modified at will by whoever wants it, even IFA3 Team can have these configurations and textures if they wish. My only goal is to be able to carry these things in ArmA 3 without having to modify the original IFA3 textures.

Example:
Textures = "WW2_Characters \ M43 \ M43.paa"; // this is the direction of the uniform pattern texture
or
*/
Textures = "WW2_Characters \ M43 \ M43.paa";
(In this area you configure the direction of the texture of the model)

/*

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

A bit on an odd question I have is for the people building the US webbing sets. Did you find reference images for the BC-611/Handie Talkie being attached to webbing? On my set in real life I've been trying to figure out a way to carry my radio on a webbing set in a similar way to the ones in the mod but cant figure out for the life of me a good method nor any clear reference photos.

desert.png?width=1440&height=497

Another week, another update about Desert Rats & Red Devils

Like previous week, this week is also mostly focused around sound improvements. LAxemann has been working restlessly to bring realistic and immersive sounds to WW2 and IFA3 community.

DONE

Rifles 

MP44 

Kar 98 

Springfield 

MG 42 

MG 34 (incl. interior sounds) 

Sten 

Garand 

Nagant 

M1919 (incl. interior sounds) 

G43 

Lee Enfield 

PPSH 

M3 "Grease Gun" 

Flamethrower 

SVT40 

MP40/38 

DP/DT (incl. interior sounds)

Cannons 

KWK 36 - 88mm 

Flak 36 - 88mm 

KWK 43 - 88mm 

KWK 40 - 75mm 

KWK 42 - 75mm 

Pak40 - 75mm 

M3 - 75mm (Sherman) 

M1A2 - 77mm (Sherman) 

QF17L55 - 76.2mm (Sherman Firefly)

F34 - 76.2mm 

ZIS S53 - 85mm 

D5 S - 85mm 

K51 - 75mm 

Pistols 

Colt 1911 

Tokarev 

Luger 

Walther P38 

C 96 Mauser 

Webley Mk6 Revolver 

Walther PPK 

Nagant M1895

Other than weapon sounds, he has also been working on vehicle sounds:

Panzer V, aka Panther

Sd. Kfz. 251

BM-13 or better known as Katyusha

Note: sounds presented are still WIP

On the frontline, No.4 Commando unit had an opportunity to test out new terrains as part of their African campaign:

Tobruk, 1942

20180626205336_1.jpg?width=1057&height=5

20180626204503_1.jpg?width=1440&height=5

20180621210636_1.jpg

20180626210944_1.jpg?width=1440&height=5

As a conclusion we are happy to announce that one of our main developers, El Tyranos, is once again ready to put hours of work towards IFA3 and its future projects.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Speechless!

Really got some sexy sounds on that Panzer V! Almost bringz out ze german panzerkampfwagen in mich. Sehr Wunderbar!

Feels to me like you really nailed the correct volume/sound at distance too. This fits into my idea of realism at least :) Love that acceleration roar coupled with black smoke.

Katyusha sounds so good even Putin would give it a 10/10 would fire again rating. Fantastic sounds, even for WiP.

Can't wait to try it out for myself in the future!

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hopefully, with the British, we'll see the 20mm Polsten & 40mm Bofors Ack-Ack guns. ah~, such famous guns to be added gives me the willies! speaking of mid-range calibres like the 40mm; is it possible for the 3,7cm FLaK 18/36/37/43 bigger punch than the 20mm, obviously, but slower fire rate. I'm not saying "GIMME NOW!!!" Heck, if you guys ever bang out a DLC with Old BIS with extra's like all these artillery pieces, I'd just say,

"Devs!!! hold my case of beer and my fat wallet of cash, Imma ride off into the sunset with this beauty you made! no, no, Keep the wallet... you earned it!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxF8Q4r9u56Akk4wfAFSR

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

Why remove again the screaming sound of the BM-13 ?

*breathes in*

Not foremost, but first:
We have no clue where the recording you're speaking of came from. Yes, many games used it (e.g. Company of Heroes) most likely without a license as well, but I like to play it safe on the license side. :D

Also: I've been searching around for other sources on that specific "screaming sound" and came to the conclusion that it's simply not representative.
You know how nowadays you sometimes hear the same out-of-the-box explosion or gun sounds in documentaries and movies? I'm very sure it's the same with this sound.

Throughout modern videos and, more important, old news clips etc., that sound was used for pretty much any rocket/missile launcher thinkable. BM-13, Nebelwerfer, you name it.

Example:

And

In both cases you can clearly hear that the audio was embedded afterwards and doesn't even match what's happening on the screen.

Based on that and (kinda) knowing how a rocket works/sounds, I decided to do something more "authentic" from my personal perspective, even though people that only know it from YouTube videos and games might be upset :D
(I still edited a bit of a "screaming" in though ;) )

Edit:

Before someone writes "but LAxe, it's been called "Stalin's Organ" for a reason".... yes, because of the way it looks, not the sound :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Sound is so immensely dynamic and extremely relative to the observer (or listener rather). 

I've spent my fair time on the firing range with guns and explosives to tell you that even the weather affects the result. Recreating sounds in games that play loops of audio triggered at given points with fadein's/fadeout's and transitions between RMP's, distances etc just "mimics" the real world.

Sometime in the future, we may be lucky enough to witness a true sound simulation (that uses calculations and algorithms rather than sound files) and supercomputers to run it, but for now let's just appreciate the work of art the likes of Laxemann and LordJarhead manage to create with the tools that are available to them.

To me personally, I can be completely put off by the soundscape of a game. If everything else looks realistic and beautiful, and plays great, a bad soundscape will just wreck the experience completely.

From first hand experience I have witnessed the static test fire of an AIM-9 rocket motor, and it is just a deafening "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" sound. It's like recording the noise of two pieces of paper sliding against eachother, and cranking the volume up x100. There is a little bit of rumble, but not that much, as most of the pressure was released upwards in my case.

The most terrifying thing I have heard so far was probably a CV9030 (IFV) firing on the other side of a sand hill next to us (no line of sight), about 150 meters away. It was so dang loud and the shock/soundwaves went through my bone and marrow. I instantly decided I was never going to find myself anywhere near the opposite side of that cannon.

Remember guys, sound kills! (Overpressure ;) )

On a completely unrelated note: 

I have been having a small break from the ArmA community so forgive me if this is "old news", but the Halftracks are behaving super silly (at least the M3). Probably Vehicle PhysX related due to tanks DLC update, but it was doing pirouettes like a ballerina on the battlefield :D It actually took out half an infantry squad while it was being a Half-Tracknado.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strike_NOR said:

but the Halftracks are behaving super silly (at least the M3). Probably Vehicle PhysX related due to tanks DLC update, but it was doing pirouettes like a ballerina on the battlefield :D It actually took out half an infantry squad while it was being a Half-Tracknado.

Yessir. 

Not only half-track, but some other vehicles too have to be updated to Tanks DLC physx standards. Will be fixed for the next bigger update or even sooner.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

But but, @laxemann why did they call nebelwerfers ''screaming mimi's'' ? :don11:

After reading your post is started listening to a lot of videos, and you are completely correct.

But after a lot of video's I stumbled unto something els, The IRAM ''Elephant rocket''.

its an improvised rocket, that uses a very basic propulsion, A tube, somekind of propulsion fuel, and a hole in the bottom where the presure gets out.

Kinda similar to that of the nebelwerfer rocket.

Video1 (not youtube) @0:20

video 2 at the beginning

obviously it isnt proof for anything, but i thought it was an insteresting observation.

Anyways I love your work so ill take anyway it comes. Love the Katyusha sound.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

by laxemann

no words :hyper:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, laxemann said:

Based on that and (kinda) knowing how a rocket works/sounds, I decided to do something more "authentic" from my personal perspective, even though people that only know it from YouTube videos and games might be upset :D

Your mod, your sound. I still find it weird that despiste not finding a single evidence that it doesn't have a screaming sound, this peculiar sound is removed.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, 1212PDMCDMPPM said:

Your mod, your sound. I still find it weird that despiste not finding a single evidence that it doesn't have a screaming sound, this peculiar sound is removed.

I feel you dude, but then there still is the copyright thing and the fact that it was a super low-quality mono sound without any treble and distorted af :D

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, laxemann said:

I feel you dude, but then there still is the copyright thing and the fact that it was a super low-quality mono sound without any treble and distorted af :D

Yes, the lack of proper material to work with is a real issue.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else having spinning (or otherwise glitching) view on IFA3 assembled weapons?

(With machine guns like "LIB_MG42_Lafette_low_Deployed", mortars like "LIB_GrWr34", etc)

Fortunately, I have some insight and a temporary workaround.  So this problem was happening in my dynamic mission, where these weapons come as the parts (tripod and weapon) in crates, to be assembled by the players.  Upon assembling the weapons and mounting them, players would always get spinning view.  Disembarking weapon and getting back on unfortunately does NOT clear the problem, resulting in the same issue.

After a bunch of testing, I learned the following:

• The issue seems to only occur with spawned vehicles (created via createVehicle, which is exactly what happens when the player assembles them).  When placed in the Editor, the vehicles are fine.
  • The issue occurs with only the first instance of the vehicle.

So the workaround is to simply create a dummy instance of the vehicle (out in the middle of nowhere) and then immediately delete it first.  Then allow the player to assemble it or spawn it whole (per your particular mission design).  When players then mount up, the "spinning view" issue has already been eliminated.

It's not quite that simple, as some of these weapons may be raised or lowered, and so you must account for both vehicle types, as the spinning view will occur on the first instance of each type.  So for example, to remedy spinning view on Wehrmacht MG42, you must create dummy instances of both "LIB_MG42_Lafette_Deployed" and "LIB_MG42_Lafette_low_Deployed".  And then do the same for any other weapon platforms you intend to spawn (or for which you provide the required parts for players to assemble).

Hope that helps someone with eliminating this "spinning view" problem, which vexed me for ages. :smile_o:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@madrussian as always much thanks for your detailed report!

we can confirm the issue and are looking into solving it

• Like 1

@Gunter Severloh

1. copyright/license situation - we can't just take sounds from other games/movies/sources

2. quality - of the sources, sound design and processing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Urgh your guys stuff is so awesome over the years I've been viewing, after today I'm just going to buy myself a gameserver and just play ifa3 over the summer with a few budds constantly, you've driven me to it! :f:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The urge to play more IFA is increasing with these updates :D

Amazing audio for the Panther. It's truly beautiful!

Not only the engine, but tracks and all. Sounds very authentic!

Regarding the rocket sounds. Well, of course the rocket nozzle, and combustion chamber pressure both play a vital role here. Some rockets may indeed produce something closer to the "elephant" version, "nebelwerfer" or "katyusha". Then again, how on earth are we ever going to prove what the Katyusha sounds like, without firing a 40's Katyusha with modern recording equipment nearby?

And how many % of the playerbase are going to be hanging around an artillery camp next to the Katyushas while they fire, so they can hit their audio satisfaction climax? :) Forgive me, but rocket fire, while very awesome, does not produce music :P It only creates tinnitus! 

We all have our most precious parts of the game that we love and want accurately represented, I can relate to that. But the Katyusha replacement sound (WIP) sounds very good to me as it is, and is a worthy compromise of "what it may actually have sounded like" :)

This also seems to produce a "SHWOOOO" sound more than a simple "SHHHHHH", but then again, it could be the microphone picking it up weird, or the rockets being home made, dunno. I assume a lower-pressure rocket motor (poorly manufactured) will have a lower frequency sound (leading to more of a "SHWOO" sound).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget you can now follow the development in real time since most of our discord dev. channels are now read only to everyone.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, El Tyranos said:

Don't forget you can now follow the development in real time since most of our discord dev. channels are now read only to everyone.

Link to your discord pls?

See my signature :smile_o:

• Thanks 1

So, guys, regarding the new Desert Rat update, I saw a Crusader AA MK 2 tank in it? As far as I know he's armed with a 40mm anti-aircraft gun Bofors, does that mean we're going to see this gun as a static weapon for Britain?

• Like 2