duda123

Advanced AI Command

I really appreciate all these command mods that make life with AI far more tolerable. Your module approach is one I would have seconded, so I'm thrilled! I second some of the above suggestions, with an emphasis on streamlined and intuitive command selection and activations. C2 is really awesome in concept with some really great innovations, but the multitude of scrolling and multi-key selections was not exactly user friendly.

C2 had formation peeling and Aussie peeling, but no bounding maneuver. That much waypoint scripting work verges on AI behavior modding, but I'd love to see it. Possibly not feasible in this mod or within its focus?

I realize this is a cast-iron b!@#$ of a suggestion, but MAYBE a way to still enable current default AI (either vanilla or whatever AI mod is running -- ASR AI or VCOM, etc.). Perhaps execute whatever command the player gives the AI unit, but then after a 30-second sleep delay in that commanded state or some other condition, the unit reverts back to vanilla/AI mod behavior (which, with ASR AI, generally means if the unit's in good cover, it's not going to move out right away anyway). Between C2 and Get Tactical, your AI units root themselves where you tell them to stay put, even if the situation drops in the pot and they really should have taken action otherwise to reorient, move, take cover, etc. It's both a blessing (for precision of placement) and a curse.

ASR AI has a keystroke set to toggle "copy player stance on/off". Maybe similar in an action/orders menu item or a key or button?

Watch direction - after or upon selecting this command, get player's cursor target azimuth, instead of the ultra-clunky current menu selection of 8 cardinal/secondary compass directions.

Suppressing fire - same cursor target thing.

I don't know if it's a mod I've forgotten I've enabled, but I have a "find cover" and "suppressing fire" command in my standard group command menu, under 1-7 and 3-9 respectively. I also have a disengage command under 3-6. If these are vanilla, perhaps you could hook them into a more intuitive interface? If not vanilla, then they could be handy additions in an advanced high-command setting.

Igitur's High Command Converter would make a good combination with this, since you can use that to assign your own group units to a high command unit, unless you feel the desire to include that function natively in your own mod.

Other commands (from WW AI Menu Mod) are: fire on my lead (hold fire until player fires), garrison building, clear a building, selected group rearm at cursor target, and selected group heal (medics heal everyone first, but if no medic present, they'll use personal aid kits). The heal command lately doesn't seem to work anymore, and the rearm at location can be spotty. I mention WW AI Menu b/c it's been a solid staple for me, but might give you some ideas beyond slavishly copying someone else's concepts.

I know how difficult it is to script AI landing at a specfic zone (yes, using a spawned invisible helipad), so perhaps double check that function's effectiveness?

Also, re: scripts for units taking cover, both Robalo's ASR AI 3 and raptoer's Pooter's enhanced ASR AI have routines for sending AI to cover. I think raptoer's is far more extensive..? You will probably have to ask them about using it, of course.

• Like 1

Ok, I've got this working with the editor modules now - published on steam and github (v0.4) 

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

In the example above, two playable units on each side have been setup as commanders. Both units on the same side will see the same command map (and can see each other's changes). Each commander will be in control of two AI groups. Make sure all modules and units are synchronized together. Only one unit from each AI group needs to be synchronized to the Advanced AI Command - Groups module. 

Is this converting to module-based really better? In my opinion previous version without syncronizing a lot of groups with a lot of commanders worked easier or even any member of any group could take over command. And now it's more complicate and need much more time to start playing big missions. What do you think?

I have deleted previous version and now very sorry about that. :( Maybe you have this last version before module-based release or wher i can download older version? Thanks!

I suppose there will always be a conflict between flexibility vs ease of use. Not quite sure how it would work but perhaps there's a way to have it so when the module is present, it works as it does at present, and without, it works as it did before? I definitely prefer the module version but I have a different set of criteria for my missions than others will! 

• Like 1

I suppose there will always be a conflict between flexibility vs ease of use. Not quite sure how it would work but perhaps there's a way to have it so when the module is present, it works as it does at present, and without, it works as it did before? I definitely prefer the module version but I have a different set of criteria for my missions than others will! 

Yes, i agree with you. Maybe better with module but without a lot of syncronizations only module placing. Because it is so very nice to have a possibility  in Single Player when any member of any group could take over command. I think it would be perfect!

Is this converting to module-based really better? In my opinion previous version without syncronizing a lot of groups with a lot of commanders worked easier or even any member of any group could take over command. And now it's more complicate and need much more time to start playing big missions. What do you think?

I have deleted previous version and now very sorry about that. :( Maybe you have this last version before module-based release or wher i can download older version? Thanks!

Realthing,

In the meantime, to make it work like before, add this to all playable unit's init lines, depending on what side they should have control over (West, East or Guer). I'll update the module so that it's not required to place the groups module. If no groups module is placed, the commanders will get control of all groups on their side.

["ALL_WEST",true] call AIC_fnc_showCommandControl;

--- or ---

["ALL_EAST",true] call AIC_fnc_showCommandControl;

--- or --- 

["ALL_GUER",true] call AIC_fnc_showCommandControl;
Or, if you want something really neat, you can make an object that gives you command when you pick up the object. Instead of what I wrote above, try this:

Try adding this to your init.sqf file, and place a marker called "command_radio_marker" near the playable units:

[markerPos "command_radio_marker", [[1,"Take Command","FUNC_takeHC",true,true,false],[2,"Release Command","FUNC_releaseHC",true,false,true]], false, 1] call AIC_fnc_createCommandRadio;
FUNC_takeHC = {
     ["ALL_WEST",true] remoteExec ["AIC_fnc_showCommandControl", _this select 0]; 
};
FUNC_releaseHC = {
     ["ALL_WEST",false] remoteExec ["AIC_fnc_showCommandControl", _this select 0]; 
};

Once you start the mission, you should see an object on the ground at the marker's position. Walk over to it and pick it up via the action menu. Once you've picked it up, you should see the command controls on the map. You can transfer ownership by dropping and having someone else pick up the object.

• Like 3

Here's what I'll do:

If only the commanders module is placed, it will work as it did before, but give command to only the synced units.

If both commanders and groups modules are placed, it works as it does in the latest release.

Finally, if you sync the commanders module with an object, it will only give command to players who have the object picked up. (see post above)

• Like 3

I really like this option!

Or, if you want something really neat, you can make an object that gives you command when you pick up the object. Instead of what I wrote above, try this:

Try adding this to your init.sqf file, and place a marker called "command_radio_marker" near the playable units:

[markerPos "command_radio_marker", [[1,"Take Command","FUNC_takeHC",true,true,false],[2,"Release Command","FUNC_releaseHC",true,false,true]], false, 1] call AIC_fnc_createCommandRadio;
FUNC_takeHC = {
};
FUNC_releaseHC = {
};

Once you start the mission, you should see an object on the ground at the marker's position. Walk over to it and pick it up via the action menu. Once you've picked it up, you should see the command controls on the map. You can transfer ownership by dropping and having someone else pick up the object.

Realthing,

In the meantime, to make it work like before, add this to all playable unit's init lines, depending on what side they should have control over (West, East or Guer). I'll update the module so that it's not required to place the groups module. If no groups module is placed, the commanders will get control of all groups on their side.

["ALL_WEST",true] call AIC_fnc_showCommandControl;

--- or ---

["ALL_EAST",true] call AIC_fnc_showCommandControl;

--- or --- 

["ALL_GUER",true] call AIC_fnc_showCommandControl;

FUNC_takeHC = {
};
FUNC_releaseHC = {
};

Thank you, mate! This is great option! Well done!

More updates coming soon to improve the editor modules. I've updated the documentation here (https://github.com/sethduda/AIC) to show how to use it. However I haven't published the new version yet - will try to publish it tomorrow.

• Like 2

This is great, I've been enjoying this very much with single player missions, particularly Clashpoint, but I have a small problem now. Since the last update it no longer works, I believe this is to do with the switch over to a module based format.

My question is do you know how I can get this to work with single player missions again?

Keep up the great work!

Many thanks!

This is great, I've been enjoying this very much with single player missions, particularly Clashpoint, but I have a small problem now. Since the last update it no longer works, I believe this is to do with the switch over to a module based format.

My question is do you know how I can get this to work with single player missions again?

Keep up the great work!

Many thanks!

Sorry, yes, it's due to the module based install. I'll be publishing an update soon to fix this.

Released v1.0 on steam and github!

Changes:

- Improved editor-based module configuration. Made editor modules optional.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

See the original post (or https://github.com/sethduda/AIC/blob/master/README.md) for directions on how to configure the editor-based modules. By default, if you don't place any modules in the editor, all players will get control of all groups on their side.

• Like 1

Anyone want to help me create a mission using this? 

Maybe a 2 player MP mission (commander vs commander). One commander has to defend while another one attacks. Each commander would have a large number of groups/vehicles at their disposal. I think that would be fun...

• Like 1

Some stuff I came to think of:  What if we could order them to use smoke to mask retreat?

Make planes Return to Base from a menu?

Order a mortar strike?  Move to South-East corner of a building? Arcs of fire?  Measure distance to a place on the map?RC 1.60  Suppress Fire command?

Set Speed of helos? Make them fly at my altitude? Some generic arming menu that let us edit the weapon loadout on the fly?

Some way to make a sniper team move Ultra-Slow? (Controll-Mousewheel). Get a GPS-position by hovering over a house?

Make them bouild a base by key-stroke in RTS-mode.

Add a delay for CAS in minutes? Order them to hide in the forrest?Use cammo-netts?  A Get Out Parachute WP?

My 2 cent for now.tnx

Hi,

I think I've found an issue with JIP players. I have 2 player slots synced to the commander module and it works fine but if I leave the slot and someone else takes it it doesn't work anymore.

Also is there a way to default the commander actions to all players or would I have to sync them all?

Thanks, it's a great tool for just filling the battlefield up with friendly fighters, especially storming Omaha beach and getting cut down with mg42's lol.

A suggestion if I may, I know you are trying to keep it simple but a few extra option tied to the waypoint would go a long way. For example.....

- When I place a waypoint I could place multiple for other units also and have an action button so they all move at once so my first units are not hitting the battle alone while I'm still adding way points to other groups :)

- When I place a waypoint it would be great to get the standard options added, ie...

- Standard move waypoints as they are now

- Search and destroy waypoints

- Defend area waypoint

- Take cover at waypoint

- Stealth movement to waypoint.

Just so they are not just standing in a formation looking like they are lost and might live longer.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi,

I think I've found an issue with JIP players. I have 2 player slots synced to the commander module and it works fine but if I leave the slot and someone else takes it it doesn't work anymore.

Also is there a way to default the commander actions to all players or would I have to sync them all?

Thanks, it's a great tool for just filling the battlefield up with friendly fighters, especially storming Omaha beach and getting cut down with mg42's lol.

A suggestion if I may, I know you are trying to keep it simple but a few extra option tied to the waypoint would go a long way. For example.....

- When I place a waypoint I could place multiple for other units also and have an action button so they all move at once so my first units are not hitting the battle alone while I'm still adding way points to other groups :)

- When I place a waypoint it would be great to get the standard options added, ie...

- Defend area waypoint

- Take cover at waypoint

Just so they are not just standing in a formation looking like they are lost and might live longer.

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. Setting basic WP types sounds like a good idea!

Is the player switching into your players slot already in the game in other slot (non commander) before switching? Or are they joining the server for the first time?

Update: Try v1.1 and see if that solves the problem!

v1.1 published:

- Fixing issue for JIP players that prevented them from being assigned the commander role

- Changed default group color to blue instead of red

Hi,

- Defend area waypoint

- Take cover at waypoint

Thanks

- Yes, if you don't place any modules via the editor, that will be the default functionality. All players will have control of all groups on their side. 

• Like 1