xbelanch

Is out there a right way to work properly with TB?

Sure I'm not the only one that has had issues trying to work with TB (https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/189340-terrain-builder-crash-on-open-project/, https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187567-terrain-processor-freezingcrashing/)... but the most amazing thing is when you see other people working without no freezing or crashing and faster (check out the amazing job by SchultzIT (https://www.twitch.tv/schultzit/profile) working on 2017 mod I guess).

My question is pretty simple: am I missing a secret configuration or method to work well with TB? should I launch TB from P: virtual disk instead from C:? and launch it as administrator? or...?

Thanks in advance!

Xavier

Here is what I have learned to do to minimize those things after working in TB daily for 3 months.

Here is my pc: i7 4.1 ghz, 12gb ram, gtx 980, 555/555 ssd and multiple monitors. YMMV

Run it in a smaller window, not maximized.. (most my interface issues have gone away when I do)

If the program is behaving weird, restart it until it doesn't.

If the program makes the rest of windows slow down or halt, try running it not maximized and do restart it.

Save under a new name daily.

Make damn sure you understand how the layers and shapes work. There is a LOT of misinformation going around.

Plan your progress and your tasking.

Create a mini world before you start your dream project so you have a method before you start what you really want to do.This is very important as it will teach you what processes done in TB can make it crash and you will not have to fumble blindly when making the map you came here to make.

There are many things done in tb that will make the program crunch a LOT of data which can take a lot of time. Mostly when the program seems to have crashed for people are just them being impatient with such operations. Creating a dummy project and learning everything before you start working on an actual map will teach you those.

My tb and buldozer only crash when I do something wrong now.

Also backup your progress more often than you ever have before.

My tip for working with shapes:

Four variables must be considered at all times: There is a balance to how many vertices in a polygon, how much object density, how many square meters the polygon is and how complex the shape is if you want to fill it with a high number of random objects etc.

The only things making my TB crash these days is not doing the shapes "correctly". I don't think TB is as bad as the reputation. It just took ages to learn without any proper single source of accurate documentation.

Here is my map in progress if you want to see what I am up to. 

Happy editing! Hope some of this helps.

Oh and about patience, Updating or changing the imagery on the map above takes hours and very often makes the program seem to have frozen, It never has though.

• Like 1

I do appreciate @bludski your suggestions and congrats on your project :) really good job!

My pc: i7-5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM, one monitor, GTX TITAN X (oh yep It's worth its price). 

I'll have in mind your hints and make a mini world to see how things works better. If you remember a tutorial that can helps don't hesitate to tell us.

Finally, I think that I'll share my experience here hoping that can help others I guess!

I got it :) 

Terrain Builder working now like a charm!!! Three thing to keep in mind:

1. Copy TB directory to P: drive and execute it from there as administrator
  2. Never, never, never maximize it

That solution is working for me...

I run TB from a3tools in steam. I never copied TB anywhere.

I know... sounds weird, but if I run TB from a3tools it doesn't work....

My terrain builder was always in P drive, and it wont start from A3ToolsLauncher..... I set compatibility to Windows 7 and always run as administrator.

My terrain builder was always in P drive, and it wont start from A3ToolsLauncher..... I set compatibility to Windows 7 and always run as administrator.

You really should separate your work drive from the tools directory, and uncheck the "run this program as an administrator" box as well as disabling the compatibility mode.

See my post -> https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/190353-howto-work-drive-setup-buldozer/

You really should separate your work drive from the tools directory, and uncheck the "run this program as an administrator" box as well as disabling the compatibility mode.

See my post -> https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/190353-howto-work-drive-setup-buldozer/

thanks , whats the difference in having it in a seperate folder? and do i move my project folder to the P drive? my shape folder directory, when changing source location for pine trees it sais the drive doesnt exist..

34ed9cf55a6915b1f2f025077beb2223.png

14835a9dc7adbea4cb51d877f3f6cb85.png

3ffb8a6956a13d50000b616ca42789df.png and it does exist on the dedicated p drive i just moved a3 over and didnt do futuratoP 402d8be2898440886d04c290c72fc0cb.png

@defected in your pics I notice the terrain is very blocky and weird, what is the deal? 

@defected in your pics I notice the terrain is very blocky and weird, what is the deal? 

I imported it and it did that. Im trying to find a way to smooth it in a 3d terrain editor, trying l3dt.., the edges are blocky around the whole island.

( I import heightmap into l3dt and its all flat , lol )   

918cc8d8b3b4a7195c191e82434c9c31.png5e5451b49711e50e0cbeea1edf2eba15.png

thanks , whats the difference in having it in a seperate folder? and do i move my project folder to the P drive? my shape folder directory, when changing source location for pine trees it sais the drive doesnt exist..

34ed9cf55a6915b1f2f025077beb2223.png

14835a9dc7adbea4cb51d877f3f6cb85.png

3ffb8a6956a13d50000b616ca42789df.png and it does exist on the dedicated p drive i just moved a3 over and didnt do futuratoP 402d8be2898440886d04c290c72fc0cb.png

From the game data the only file that should present in the P:\A3\ is config.cpp, all the rest should be directories and property files (from the extracted PBO).

In your screen, there is something wrong with your library definition because it attempts to look for P:\A3\t_pinuss2s_f.p3d whereas, like expected, it isn't in this directory.

From the game data the only file that should present in the P:\A3\ is config.cpp, all the rest should be directories and property files (from the extracted PBO).

In your screen, there is something wrong with your library definition because it attempts to look for P:\A3\t_pinuss2s_f.p3d whereas, like expected, it isn't in this directory.

Extracted pbo  No. This from Scratch. P\Project\Config.cpp correct location.   - > its Not upadating directories in TB , Config.cpp is Normal