Eifehr

VON Improvements - Feedback

ok guys... what we really need now is an option to turn off the VON in the lobby... before and after a map is running...

on our koth server the kids always troll around with their mickeymouse voices etc... and we cant be there 24/7 to kick them out or ban them..

and its annoying as fuck when these trolls are around in the lobby...

so is there any way to disable the von in groupchat for lobby? (should be enabled ingame again when the map has been loaded and disabled again when the mission ends)

i hope we can finally sort this one out... would be a real pleasure...

WolfenswanFA, regarding

please note that the Global channel is always available to the admin.

It should not disable anything on the Command channel. Please look at it this way, you have

disableChannels[]={{2, false, false}}

and where there is a 'false' it is like negation of the command's meaning, so we have 'not to disable chat' and 'not to disable VoN'.

Oh wow of course. I had it confused with the enableChannel syntax :D

Anyway, great work on those VON improvements. It's fantastically crisp now.

If you can indeed find a way to tie DIRECT to it's own volume slider you'll have done a huge favor to all units not using ACRE/TFAR.

ok guys... what we really need now is an option to turn off the VON in the lobby... before and after a map is running...

on our koth server the kids always troll around with their mickeymouse voices etc... and we cant be there 24/7 to kick them out or ban them..

and its annoying as fuck when these trolls are around in the lobby...

so is there any way to disable the von in groupchat for lobby? (should be enabled ingame again when the map has been loaded and disabled again when the mission ends)

i hope we can finally sort this one out... would be a real pleasure...

Good point, this functionality is being developed, so please be patient and stay tuned.

• Like 4

Any changes in VON recently? :)

Strangely enough, the channel disabling has stopped working on our server. This is the relevant server.cfg part:

//Difficulty
forcedDifficulty = "Custom";

//VON Stuff
vonCodec = 1;					// 1 enables new OPUS codec
disableVoN = 0; 				// Disables voice over net, 0 = VOIP on, 1 = VOIP off
vonCodecQuality=30;				// Quality from 1 to 30 (issues with > 10 in the past)
VonID=1;					// Enables or disables VOIP talking indicator. Default 0 -- possibly obselete
disableChannels[]={{0, false, true},{1, false, true},{2, true,true}}; // {channelID, disableChat<bool>, disableVoice<bool>}

Am I missing anything here?

you sure it's not defined also in the mission's description.ext ? in such case that takes precedence

• Like 1

I've tried

disableChannels[] = {{0, true, true},{1, false, true},{2, true, true},{3, false, false},{4, false, false},{5, false, false},{6, true, true}};

In description and server config, everything works as intended except channel 0 Global, players have access to text and voice. This is happening in 1.60 stable and 1.63 dev branch.

Any changes in VON recently? :)

Major improvements are scheduled for after Apex, so for now it is mainly UI changes, gathering feedback and info of what you guys need the most.

I've tried

disableChannels[] = {{0, true, true},{1, false, true},{2, true, true},{3, false, false},{4, false, false},{5, false, false},{6, true, true}};

In description and server config, everything works as intended except channel 0 Global, players have access to text and voice. This is happening in 1.60 stable and 1.63 dev branch.

Are you sure the Global channel is available to everyone and not just the Admin? For it is always available to him.

• Like 1

Strangely enough, the channel disabling has stopped working on our server. This is the relevant server.cfg part:

//Difficulty
forcedDifficulty = "Custom";

//VON Stuff
vonCodec = 1;					// 1 enables new OPUS codec
disableVoN = 0; 				// Disables voice over net, 0 = VOIP on, 1 = VOIP off
vonCodecQuality=30;				// Quality from 1 to 30 (issues with > 10 in the past)
VonID=1;					// Enables or disables VOIP talking indicator. Default 0 -- possibly obselete
disableChannels[]={{0, false, true},{1, false, true},{2, true,true}}; // {channelID, disableChat<bool>, disableVoice<bool>}

Am I missing anything here?

Quick update on this: It seemed to fixed itself after a server restart. If I see it again I'll try and take note of what causes it, hopefully I can create a reproduction.

A feature to mute/unmute custom VON channels  to individual players being looked at ?  There are a couple of Team-speak Radio Mods that are begging to be moved to the in game VON.

It appears that using #missions to return to the mission lobby reverts

disableChannels[]=

settings to default values until the server is restarted.

Nope, that's not it either. I'm still seeing either all or only a few players being able to use disabled channels but no good reproduction yet.

Although I don't have the in-depth knowledge behind the VON as other posters here do, I do use the VON here and there... More so now than before. I find the audio quality not to bad now. It's certainly usable for me...

The only thing I'd ask for is the ability to VON or have voice activated transmissions on the Direct channel (to simulate talking person to person), and still have the ability to press a button set to transmit separately on one of the other radio channels so to speak.... As it stands now, if you set a key binding to any of the radio channels, and you have VON activated, nothing happens when you press the key bound transmit button...

• Like 1

Also,

This may already be the case, but I think it would be interesting if access to all of the VON channels other than direct were dependant on the player having a radio in their inventory... Not certain if that's the case already. Haven't had the opportunity to try that as yet.

cross-posting here for relevance

I'd like to request a scripting command (will post to tracker soon).

allPlayerChannels

To compliment the current VON-related command family:

radioChannelCreate

radioChannelAdd

radioChannelRemove

radioChannelSetCallSign

radioChannelSetLabel

enableChannel

channelEnabled

setCurrentChannel

currentChannel

getPlayerChannel

Need a command to return a list of channels the player currently has, such as:

allPlayerChannels

systemchat str allplayerchannels // [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,...]
if (7 in allplayerchannels) then {2 radiochannelremove [player];};
systemchat str allplayerchannels // [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,...]
if (!(7 in allplayerchannels)) then {2 radioChannelAdd [player];};
systemchat str allplayerchannels // [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,...]
{
     if (_x > 5) then {
          (_x - 5) radioChannelRemove [player];
     };
} forEach allPlayerChannels;
systemchat str allplayerchannels; // [0,1,2,3,4,5]

Essentially, we need a concrete way to return which channels a client currently has access to, with context of using custom channels in MP. radioChannelAdd/radioChannelRemove can sometimes bug out in MP, with respect to killed/respawn events, so a surefire way to determine which channels the client has is necessary, for stable system.

• Like 1

Have to say the VON system is like night and day with how it use to be, i don't think since the changes have occurred i've noticed any broken or static voices due to the system. Often can't tell when someone is speaking through in game or teamspeak, and i'm not alone in that either. Noticed other guys not know who's talking on what, since they both are equally clear.

• Like 1

One more suggestion from here: make different server config VON quality setting for Direct channel and other VON channels, so that Direct can be used with good quality (sounding like real life) and other VON channels with lower quality (so that they sound like radio transmissions).

Something i've started to notice being a problem when handling groups bigger then a fireteam thus into squad size and platoon. Is there isn't a way to break up group chat (at least I haven't seen it yet), so say you are running a large group you if the group leader can add a group channel. Thus each fireteam can end up having there own way of talking without interfering with everyone's comms, or being forced to split up and run two separate groups.

Also a way to separate channels into direction, so I can have group to only come from my right head phone and and command come from my left. Thus a simple way to better pick out who and what channel is being used, without looking in the bottom left of screen.

Something i've started to notice being a problem when handling groups bigger then a fireteam thus into squad size and platoon. Is there isn't a way to break up group chat (at least I haven't seen it yet), so say you are running a large group you if the group leader can add a group channel. Thus each fireteam can end up having there own way of talking without interfering with everyone's comms, or being forced to split up and run two separate groups.

Also a way to separate channels into direction, so I can have group to only come from my right head phone and and command come from my left. Thus a simple way to better pick out who and what channel is being used, without looking in the bottom left of screen.

I asked for a fireteam channel in voip via a ticket a while back in addition to a hud icon for team leaders much like the squad leader/group leader icon

@Kju, thanks for adding that link m8, not quite ready to raise a ticket for it yet

Any chatter from BIS on creating an "advanced VON" mode that would be similar to Task Force Radio or ACRE?  Realistic filters, range based radios, etc would be awesome.  Come on BIS step it up!  :)