Love the unarmed limping variation too! Well done, devs! :D

No probs

Wow, they even hold on to the wounded leg.

Love the unarmed limping variation too! Well done, devs! :D

Will Resist now get a mission where Coleridge will limp through 10 sq km. of hostile terrain in search for a FAK lol ?

• Like 1

How long we've had the AI fall down when shot in the legs and is it related to this?  :huh:  Don't remember seeing it before but I sure love it  :wub:

This is all so lame..... :P

Nice work BI, looks great in action.

Hi Bohemia Interactive. I absolutely love Arma 3. It is my all time favourite game and can't see that ever changing.

I think that the limping is really good and definitely a step in the right direction. As Arma 3 is a military simulator I have always wanted a more realistic injury system in place. And not just for your soldier, but for the enemy also. That way a team could be more strategic in battle. Depending on the injury, you or the enemy could be shot, say, in the leg and then go down in pain for 30 seconds or so until you or the enemy have composed themselves and got over the pain slightly or been healed by a medic. Could implement pain killers into the game to counter it.

I would also like to see the animation of the enemy re-vamped when shot. I hate it when I shoot a soldier, let's say, in the stomach and he just flinches slightly. If that was me, I'd be running for cover holding my guts in. It'd be brilliant if the enemy would go down in a way that reflects where the enemy has been shot. For eg. If you shoot a soldier in the head with a 50 cal the soldier will be taken off his feet, almost doing a backflip or shoot the enemy in the stomach and they double over in pain and go down slowly but if they are still alive they can only shoot in a 100 meter radius until they are either healed or dead. The possibilities are endless really and I could put many ideas forward as I have loads. It just kills the experience when I shoot a soldier dead and they go down like their feet are hinged to the floor like a shooting range target.

I don't know anything about programming or what it would take to implement such a thing. Would be so much more immersive though with massive satisfaction watching the enemy go down in many different ways. Can you imagine?

Wow, they even hold on to the wounded leg.

And it's always the same leg, how convenient!

Cheers

Strong move foward BI -love it.

Please consider a more dynamic reaching for wound occasionally rather than glueing hand to wound permanently. Looks a bit silly in the civvie train above.

• Like 2

Great stuff BI, am i right in thinking its just a visual enhancement? because now it doesn't seem right that the character can strafe left and right with ease or walk crouched, feels like they need to be removed or highly restricted.. still its great fun to see these 'small' things introduced.

Lovely addition, always amazed to see such new things unexpectedly!

I'd love to see: 

• limping soldiers unable to limp crouched for too long, like, there's limit of motions you can make
  • limits to walking up a slope - I'm sure IRL you could somehow possibly walk on a flat surface just fine, but up a slope... c'mon, we're humans, after all
  • when prone with legs severely injured (1.0), combat roll left / right (default controls: E & Q) is too fast. Rolling with the current pace requires strength of both upper and lower body and trust me, with your lower body injured, you become a little snaily

That's all for now :) (I'm very happy to see improvements on every aspect of A3!)

If a player is hurt in the leg, he should drop to the ground like ACE3 did.

• Like 1

Hi all, thank you for your feedback!

Also i will test it out

Is it possible to divide the limp for each leg and when both are 1, the avatar only walk in prone?

yVWa3Gw.gif

Unfortunately it is not planned to make engine changes which would detect leg injury separately.

If you are walking the soundset plays running sound or something similar

Thank for noticing, will sort this out ASAP. We are also considering special soundset for limping, but no promises.

burkhar

As stated on twitter the Limp seems a bit too fast in light you shot, have battle stress and Shock. I would also like more of a foot drag with the limp.

Secondly does limp get worse the more injured you are? In light of being shot in say the Pelvis and Leg?

danil-ch in his video Soldier appears to not be in pain but more a light injury and can be "walk it off".

Yes, as you stated, this is something like "light injury" (honestly I've been the MoCap actor for limping and had these 3 rocks in my right shoe whole 4 hour session so the pain was real, trust me)

CpNHhjV.jpg

The limp should be a little bit more pronounced if possible. Currently it looks like he's faking an injury to get off from duty a bit sooner.

As stated above, this is "light injury", but yes it is possible we will tweak the anims.

Head bob seems excessive in first person with weapon up, compared to when looking down sights or weapon down.

Head bob is subject to tweak, I am currently discussing it with our fellow designers.

Strong move foward BI -love it.

Please consider a more dynamic reaching for wound occasionally rather than glueing hand to wound permanently. Looks a bit silly in the civvie train above.

It is possible we will tweak this.

Great stuff BI, am i right in thinking its just a visual enhancement? because now it doesn't seem right that the character can strafe left and right with ease or walk crouched, feels like they need to be removed or highly restricted.. still its great fun to see these 'small' things introduced.

Yes, you are absolutely right, this is mainly visual enhancement, e.g. you will easily see that your buddy is injured, so he needs treatment.

When moving forward and left, the arms start to twitch.

Can you please provide me some video of this?

Again, thank you all for feedback and have a very nice day!

• Like 5

Seriously burkhar a few pebbles in your shoes and you making out you are the Daniel Day Lewis /christian bale of mocap :D. You get one of the team to give you precision ufc style kicks till you limp fur reals :D.

But cheers for the nice new visual changes. Appreciated.

A Q regarding head hob: will you make it tweakable by mission designers or the user? Customization, as we know, is one of the Arma's biggest strengths.

I agree with earlier statement that making it a little more pronounced would go a long way in improving the limp.

Is it possible to decrease walking speed as well or do you want to keep speed high so limp-units can keep up with regular walking units? I feel that decreasing the speed is worth to investigate.

• Like 1

Putting a limping animation is a very good idea, It's small yet a good feature. Of course animation could be improved. Now if you can try to find and play game called: Ghost Recon with two expansions from 2001. I think that they are the first one who had limping animation, feature, and they really made it look real. Basicly what they made is that when soldier is wounded in the leg, he starts to walk slowly, dragging the injured leg in straight position, in both standing and crouching position. Now crouching position is when limping shines, I tell you, when you see it, you'll feel like you are seeing a real person. Soldier would again in almost straight position drag wounded leg and while doing so supporting himself with his left arm. And different wounded leg, little different movement animation. Wow. I'll try to dig out my old GR and make a video.

But thank you for this cool new animation. Good job devs ! 

• Like 2

I feel head bob is fine, any less and you wouldn't actually be able to determine that you're limping.

Is it affected by the standard Head Bob factor? If not it should probably be (I have mine set to 1).

The limping looks pretty good I reckon. Hopefully it's the beginning of a range of additional animations to increase immersion. 

• Like 1

This is cool feature, now we just need the AI to at least heal themselves and others in their unit. Too bad you cant implement left and right side leg wounds that would be good to see. Just did a quick test and looks a bit funny seeing half a squad all limp in time with each other  :P

• Like 2

great addition. having it is epic, but it needs a little more animation loving. too fast for someone with an injured limb. but damn hell it is a good (yet crippled) step in the right direction.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Is it possible to decrease walking speed as well or do you want to keep speed high so limp-units can keep up with regular walking units? I feel that decreasing the speed is worth to investigate.

See the prior page:

Yes, you are absolutely right, this is mainly visual enhancement, e.g. you will easily see that your buddy is injured, so he needs treatment.

I love when little features like this come out. There is always someone who asks for additions way outside the bounds of what the dev team can do.

"I like to new limping feature, but there should be a realistic depiction of arterial bleeding. You should have to pack the wound with combat gauze for 5 to 10 mins because the wound is to high for a tourniquet. Also NEED to have in game wound infection for soldiers who don't take the combat pill pack! Wounded characters should also have to wait the time allotted for physical therapy before returning to duty.  Lastly, if you don't include a three week wait time at the VA for medical benefits, we might aswell be playing Call of Duty."

All joking aside, I have been waiting for this to be implement for a while. It's small touches like this that I love in Arma. Great work Bis. 

• Like 1

Hard to walk with a bullet in the leg. OFP got it right with crawling when injured.

But i must say that it's good looking.