psyk

Map Feedback - Center player on open

Just a QoL suggestion, would it be possible to center on the player when the map is opened, if they know their own position?

there is a button to center on the player (on the map at right corner.)

there is a button to center on the player (on the map at right corner.)

My point is about having that clicked by default when opening the map if you are aware of your position (for example if you have GPS).

My point is about having that clicked by default when opening the map if you are aware of your position (for example if you have GPS).

How hard is it to open the map and click a button? The functionality is already there, why does it have to be made default - because people are too lazy to take 1 second to pan their mouse and click?

I also thought this might be a handholding step too far - until I remembered my current favourite gripe, that when I open my map while flying a helicopter via a joystick keymap, my heli is often just about to leave the visible area and I have to leave the joystick and manually pull the map about :)

It's just a small thing ;) can link the functionality to whether you have the relevant map icon setting enabled.

I personally prefer that people should learn how to use a map.

On lower difficulty settings (I guess novice and normal) your player position is shown on the map (easy to locate).

On higher difficulty settings your position is hidden. You have to read the landmarks and your surroundings to locate yourself on the map. If you have a GPS you can read the coordinates and you can easily find your position on the map (100mx100m quadrant).

Or (and that is the realism breaker in my personal opinion):

You just click on the circle icon on the top right corner and the map centers on your position (independent of difficulty settings).

I'd like to have the circle icon removed in higher difficulty settings (make it switchable in difficulty settings).

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

On lower difficulty settings (I guess novice and normal) your player position is shown on the map (easy to locate).

This is what I meant by "relevant map icon settings"  I don't see anything wrong with auto-centering on the player if the icon (difficulty) setting is also set low. I use this a lot when in the editor for example. For all other situations, like you I recommend learning to read maps :) this means the map opens at it's last closed position