spanishsurfer

ARMA SERVER PERF INCREMENTALLY DROPPING SINCE 1.54 (memory leak)

It's a long story but I'll make it short, ARMA 1.54 was the BEST performance we had on our server since A3's creation. Since then, our server FPS have been dropping faster w/less people. We haven't changed too much of our core mission since 1.54 (other than drop AI numbers, difficulty, reduce vis, etc all to combat bad server FPS) and we know that memory leaks keep getting worse with every update. Clients have to restart their game more often and the A3 server has to do a hard restart every 24hours or the game becomes unplayable.

Is there anything being done to stop the MEMORY leak?  The problem keeps getting worse and we're growing impatient....

• Like 8

I have noticed this as well.

1.52-1.54 was great performance. 

Now I notice a more rapid server FPS degradation over time, all else being equal.

Would be handy to know what the relevant memory leaks are so we can try to avoid exacerbating the problem.

+1. I have noticed this both client side and server side. Really would appreciate a fix for this. :)

They probably test new updates on missions that don't belong to this game.

It's the same old story like with ArmA II OA. Mutiplayer in OA was not really playable before the introduction of the headless client.

It is still the one step forward and two steps back syndrome after all that years.

Honestly this forum is a waste of time, i realized that in 2003 and it still hasn't changed.

Developers don't care about our issues or question that we post on here, if you want something done you need to PM them, and you need to bug the hell out of them because either they busy on VBS4 which is probably 90% of their time priority, or they busy fixing skins and making sure we can run while taking out RPG for Arma 3 because its so damn important. 

It's the same old story like with ArmA II OA. Mutiplayer in OA was not really playable before the introduction of the headless client.

It is still the one step forward and two steps back syndrome after all that years.

@omon

considering we fixed several of issues you reported in past

also you here long enough to know VBS is made by completely different company than Arma

thus I find your commentary quite inappropriate

@beagle

OA MP play-ability improvements had nothing to do with HC (as HC isn't fix to netcode)

so less twisting of history ...

those of you who may pay attention might be aware of memory leaks being tracked, fixed in the

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-158-performance-binary-feedback/

same as crashes and other issues related to MP, servers, clients and such ...

• Like 2

@omonconsidering we fixed several of issues you reported in pastalso you here long enough to know VBS is made by completely different company than Armathus I find your commentary quite inappropriate@beagleOA MP play-ability improvements had nothing to do with HC (as HC isn't fix to netcode)so less twisting of history ...those of you who may pay attention might be aware of memory leaks being tracked, fixed in thehttps://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-158-performance-binary-feedback/same as crashes and other issues related to MP, servers, clients and such ...

Dwarden no one doubts theres work being done, the issue is that the game has worsened since 1.54. Better FPS at mission start but they reduce faster in a short period of time, it's quickly becoming unplayable unless a solution is found.

Frankly I have a hard time assuring our community that BIS is on top of the issue and it should be resolved by Apex.

Dwarden to this day, this is the best game i ever played, of-course the CTI mode.

We only wish for 2 things.

1. Better documentation (Release documentation with the update, not 5 days later)

2. Stop breaking game with updates that aren't tested (Let us test your updates, and will be more than happy provide you feedback whats working and whats not) CTI game mode uses the engine to the fullest! 

@omon
considering we fixed several of issues you reported in past
also you here long enough to know VBS is made by completely different company than Arma

thus I find your commentary quite inappropriate

@beagle
OA MP play-ability improvements had nothing to do with HC (as HC isn't fix to netcode)

so less twisting of history ...

those of you who may pay attention might be aware of memory leaks being tracked, fixed in the
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-158-performance-binary-feedback/
same as crashes and other issues related to MP, servers, clients and such ...

... Stop breaking game with updates that aren't tested (Let us test your updates, and will be more than happy provide you feedback whats working and whats not) ...

You are asking for something that already exists. The Dev and RC branches.

• Like 2

You are asking for something that already exists. The Dev and RC branches.

you forgot profiling branch with performance binaries

So, you have a Dev branch, you have an RC branch and lets not forget about the profiling branch with performance binaries...

Then how come you keep on missing issues that becomes so obviouse o the whole community right after release?

Because you kiddos don't actually get on them and test. They can only do so much.

For example, right now -- instead of testing different mallocs, looking through your memory profiles, and tracking leaks to help BI identify them -- you're just complaining in a forum thread.

• Like 1

you forgot profiling branch with performance binaries

I have always ran newest PREF versions from your drop box, but this last update was nothing like it.

It broke Rcon, broke profiles, created slide show for clients after 2 min of game play

-All of that could of been prevented if there was a documentation to the update.

Example:

This update changes profile system:

Please use profile to blablabla

This update requires no memory allocators, please set memory allocator to default.

Previous update that included workshop also had no documentation, I had to spend entire day to configure my server to sync with workshop and get it to autoupdate with steamcmd.

RCON isn't broken, it was changed so admins just need to define custom RCON port

it was documented on WIKI, on 2 different pages at once

it's actually improvement for security (now you can setup firewall rules for the specific RCON port)

and it allows BE support multiple platforms not just Windows, so also Linux and Mac

client-slideshow was bug for non-default allocator (custom and system ones) and was fixed already by the hotfix

was explained by me and pre-hotfix fixed in the performance binaries too

profiles stuff was DEV change only and was already fixed too

bugs and issues may happen with DEV, because ongoing development

we're sorry that sometimes not all changes or new features aren't documented and sometimes not 'fast' enough

trying to avoid it but it happens, sometimes

dwarden also when game ends and you dont restart clients game it will also lag. I remember in arma 2 after game ends, server and clients clear all memeory.

dwarden also when game ends and you dont restart clients game it will also lag. I remember in arma 2 after game ends, server and clients clear all memeory.

you remember wrong, the issue with not properly cleaning memory was there since always

in fact Arma 3 has several fixes and changes which A2OA can dream about in case of cleaning variables and scripts off memory for new mission session

there are simply new bugs / leaks which needs to be fixed ... (or old ones finally propagating enough to be noticeable)

if people keep reporting the crashes (logs, dumps) and logs and full memory dumps on leaks, it will help us slay it faster

• Like 1

you remember wrong, the issue with not properly cleaning memory was there since always

in fact Arma 3 has several fixes and changes which A2OA can dream about in case of cleaning variables and scripts off memory for new mission session

there are simply new bugs / leaks which needs to be fixed ... (or old ones finally propagating enough to be noticeable)

if people keep reporting the crashes (logs, dumps) and logs and full memory dumps on leaks, it will help us slay it faster

I love that you guys work hard even after the game was released 3 years later, it's really great stuff. The issue we have is that the progress is at a snail's pace...It's all good to ask for mem dump logs and crash reports (and we'll keep sending them) but isn't there anything BIS can do to speed up the progress (put more people on it or hire more knowledgeable folks)? The rate you guys are fixing this issue isn't fast enough; and I don't mean that in a nagging way. By the time you fix the issue Arma 3 could be an obsolete game and much less popular than it is today, so what will the fix accomplish if you have a much lower player base?  Have you guys considered that if a real competitor came out into the scene and offered what ARMA has but with a newer engine (and better PERF) it could snuff you guys out in a heartbeat?  I know you (DWARDEN) are hell bent on fixing this game, but it certainly doesn't feel like your company (BIS) has the same amount of passion as you do and I feel it shows since you're the only one who works with the community at fixing PERF issues.

Just wondering if any progress has been made on this issue? I play a lot of CTI and the memory leak issue has become game breaking. I'm having to restart every 45-60 minutes because my fps drops to 5 and stays there. I'm not running any command line options and this is on both of the CTI servers I play on.