This version is discontinued, check my signature for the current version

• Like 8

slowing down a little, as the weather is finally getting better here : )

a few teasers nevertheless:

B34C621A6711B145B481A0BC94150B4C930CB4AA

boarding test

67BC5CD4933D9EAE53B4D58ADA3AC89BACE75825

3D13A0534058118D9D9D9C5A5824E60FB03BCFE0

• Like 4

Awesome mate, I remember that you told me that you were not too muche interested in the 737 some days ago ahaha I'm happy too see that you change you mind ;)

It will be nice if there is the possibility to have a more modern version of it, or just modern engines :)

• Like 2

There is the possibility of an AWACS version although not functional?Say yes please :P  :P  :P

AIR_E-737_Peace_Eye_ROKAF_Boeing_lg.jpg

• Like 3

Yea I don't know, somehow I had a look again : )

And it's not so large as I was thinking, it's actually smaller than the Antonovs

That AWACS looks interesting, maybe. As Pinaz pointed out we only have old style engines for now.

• Like 1

the awacs is not based on the 737-100. the one in the picture is the Poseidon P8 based on a 737NG

the awacs is not based on the 737-100. the one in the picture is the Poseidon P8 based on a 737NG

The one in the photo is an E-7 wedgetail (or 737 AEW&C) not the P-8

which is still based on the 737NG (or BBJ1 to be specific)

• Like 1

well, we only have a -100 for now. Which is fine for me.

I might make a fantasy version by adding other engines and some winglets, so it can fit in modern scenarios as a generic airliner,

maybe even some sort of generic red/greenfor awacs as a mission target (defend/attack).

I am experimenting with static versions too, to place on the map and walk around inside.

• Like 2

You weren't kidding when you said you felt like making a 737-100 :)

Side note- the passengers have a look that says "we've been sitting here for an hour"

• Like 1

yea grumpy passengers those ones : (

maybe because the cabin looks so dull and they had no seats : P

737int05.jpg

working on it

737int2.jpg

not directly first class, still it's an upgrade

737int.jpg

might fit a little kitchen in here

• Like 1

Nice port, out of curiosity what tools are you using to texture the cabin?

Also if you're taking suggestions, mine would be that you revisit the smdi and make the blue channel darker so that it appears more glossy and reflects more of the environment around it like so http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/commercial/737ng/assets/images/marquee.jpg the darker the blue is the more glossy the aircraft....you may need to tweak the specular value in the rvmat to boost reflectivity however.

thx for dropping in nodunit, 

currently just playing around. Remapped the interior with objectbuilder itself.

I cut/pasted the interior into an empty p3d and hit the uv button. That way I can get an uncluttered simple uv map, adjust it to my needs and export as emf file.

Then I actually use paint net and gimp for painting (this is just a 15-30 minute job though so far, and I actually not plan to go overboard with it too :))

Thanks for the advice, I will play around with the blue values.

It does not come out on the pictures, but it is fairly glossy on the outside, similar to the An-12.

But for an airliner, yes it probably makes sense to up it a bit more even.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

PS

Been playing around with the values and smdi textures.

95645DAF595192F7E7349059CCEB635AB9E3EEF3

Made a quick dark livery, to check the base color influence, and it is super glossy.

I think the main reason it does not come out is that the plane up there is white.

Any idea how to add some reflection to the white surface? I could make a special rvmat and add to all white based textures without harming other versions.

• Like 3

Looks nice! Do you do bump/normal maps for those too in order to bring the detail out?

Right now I only have a generic nohq and smdi map.

For the An-12 and Do-228 I had to paint new ones from scratch, a task I am not looking forward to repeating very soon : )

Out of interest, what you doing the nohq in software wise? (I think the nohq is the bump/normal map)

Yes it is the bump map. I either manage to extract the bolts and bits from the original texture and copy/paste onto a plain layer, or i paint them by hand.

Then i use a gimp normalmap plugin to create the normalmap. pretty easy actually. Painting/Editing I do with paint net or gimp.

For the smdi's (reflection basically) I have a dull and a shiny template and copy/paste depending if i want to have a certain region of the texture dull or shiny. That is a pretty crude approach but it works for me

hey buddy..it´s looking great..if i had a wish u would make a static object with no functionality or something.

regards 
Chaser

Awesome! Absolutely love this! Could you make it so we can open the doors to get into the plane and you would have to walk inside the cockpit to enter as pilot? Same with passengers.

Anyways, it will be awesome nevertheless!

Brightening the green channel on the smdi may make the reflection stand out more on brighter surfaces.  Green determines specular value (does it shine, does it not) and blue determines roughness (is it glossy or matte, worn, etc).  You can also amp up the overall proprties by pushing the Specular sliders (RGB) up,  also you can control the highlight through Specular Power, the lower the value the most spread out, higher means more gloss, so a higher value may be better.  For example on my mirrored surface I used a value of 300, with 25 RGB on specular, obviously you wont want it that high but playing with these setting will result in more reflectivity.

Also in regards to the UV's, I highly recommend using blender (you mentioned having the toolbox) for any unwrapping, as the program will automatically calculate your UV section..

Say for example you mark seams (where you want the edges of the UV's to be) along the floor, back wall, and cockpit wall separating the cabin, then unwrap.
The program will calculate the distance between each quad and project it in the best way it can, with as much even space between each face possible.

Another tip would be to paint the white diffuse an off white to light grey, something that looks white-ish but isn't pure white...this will help the reflections show a bit more, and pending the shade you use it shouldn't be all that noticeable in-game that the craft is not 'white'.

Last tip would be to select the edges (in blender) or faces/two points (in o2 cause it doesn't have an edge selection) and press U to make them sharp ( i to make them smooth) where there are corners or need to be sharp faces.
You would go from this https://www.blender.org/manual/_images/meshsmooth-example-03rrsmooth.jpgto this https://www.blender.org/manual/_images/meshsmooth-example-05edgesplit.jpg

Doing that would definitely help with the appearance of the model, otherwise the shading is across the whole thing and you get artifacts such as the dark line going along the center of the cabin ceiling, the mix gradient on the back wall, and 'jello' effect on the arms and legs of the chairs, and would also eliminate the 'dark triangle' along the rudder seen here http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/492393550280966004/95645DAF595192F7E7349059CCEB635AB9E3EEF3/

A question - when you load that many into the cargo, does it affect frame rate any?  I recall w/ one of my larger boats that when I filled cargo, frame rate fell considerably.

Good job Sabre i like the skin of Arma 3 :)

@nodunit

ty, that is some really good advise and probably helpful for others here too!

Since these planes are all ports they are uv mapped already, but some maps are not so ideally for our specific needs in Arma. So that is a good idea, I will have a look at it.

I use the sharp edge feature now and then when I do some detail work on cockpits and other things, but so far did not really have an eye for these details in other parts. good idea

Will keep an eye on that for the future updates of my planes too.

There are a few substantial differences between arma and flight gear though. In flight gear there seems to be no bumpmapping or diffusion, nor any poly limit : )

Finer details are actually done with 3d models. I sometimes remove them due to the rather high poly count of all these ports (screws,bolts, knobs, switches).

Some of the rotary engines for the biplanes went up to 80000 faces alone, so i had to remove them. Which is a pity cause they looked awesome .

On average I am between 15000-30000 points/face per LOD.

I am glad we have the different view LODs - that helps a lot...And the recent removal of the 30000 limit for buldozer made this 737 and the An-12 possible without much headache : )

the 100something seats alone hit the 30000 ceiling if i do not strip them down a little ; )

@hcpookie

I did not notice a real hit on my fps. Just did a round around stratis with 100 passengers and without passengers.

They are actually visible in the LOD1. If it turns out to be a problem we could deactivate cargo proxies in LOD1 too

@joker

It was a quick job to check the reflection characteristics, but I might include it in the final version, after adjusting it a little : )

Good to know it doesn't bog down like I saw in A2.  I think it was getting all those AI brains closer to each other that caused the issue, but that was quite a while ago now.