Sign in to follow this  
Mosshadow

Best MRAP?

Is it just me or is the Strider the best MRAP out of the three? Ingame there aren't many details on the amount of armor each of the three MRAPs carry but from the looks of the vehicles the Strider is the best protected and comes with a periscope, higher speed and swimming ability. In addition on gamemodes like wastelands or liberation the Strider is usually priced higher than the other two vehicles. 

Are there any hidden features, or less obvious protection on the other two MRAPs that makes them equal to the Strider?

in testing i found the ifrit to work very well most of the time, it's window deflects a much wider range of ammo when compared to the hunter and strider. Armor plates works against all infantry weapons, not counting the anti-material rifles. Speed is comparable to the others enough to not really matter. Also it's height makes it a bit more survivable against mines and ied's also sometimes HE rockets and cannon rounds, well the strider with it's low height can have it's driver and even crew killed if it drives into a claymore or a slam mine. Also driving over objects is made easier, since less chance of the body hitting a low wall or sitting on terrain.

Now the strider is easier to drive at high speed and has a lesser chance of flipping over compared to the hunter and the ifrit which is by far the most understandable at speed. Also it's low profile and periscope make it great for recon, since it can watch behind cover or stay hidden more easily well moving in trenches. Also when shot from the side or rear the chance of a bullet entering is very low since it have small windows and few windows as well. But that also means if you're strong you have low visibility as well, which makes getting out or dropping off people a bit iffy since you not 100% on the cover near you. The amphibious ability of it is well not really useful, since it's highly visible in water and very slow. Also not really useful in a tactical sense either, most of the time.

Well the Hunter is the middle ground option, does things ok but nothing really that well or bad.

• Like 1

in testing i found the ifrit to work very well most of the time, it's window deflects a much wider range of ammo when compared to the hunter and strider. Armor plates works against all infantry weapons, not counting the anti-material rifles. Speed is comparable to the others enough to not really matter. Also it's height makes it a bit more survivable against mines and ied's also sometimes HE rockets and cannon rounds, well the strider with it's low height can have it's driver and even crew killed if it drives into a claymore or a slam mine. Also driving over objects is made easier, since less chance of the body hitting a low wall or sitting on terrain.

Now the strider is easier to drive at high speed and has a lesser chance of flipping over compared to the hunter and the ifrit which is by far the most understandable at speed. Also it's low profile and periscope make it great for recon, since it can watch behind cover or stay hidden more easily well moving in trenches. Also when shot from the side or rear the chance of a bullet entering is very low since it have small windows and few windows as well. But that also means if you're strong you have low visibility as well, which makes getting out or dropping off people a bit iffy since you not 100% on the cover near you. The amphibious ability of it is well not really useful, since it's highly visible in water and very slow. Also not really useful in a tactical sense either, most of the time.

Well the Hunter is the middle ground option, does things ok but nothing really that well or bad.

Well you say that the amphibious capability isn’t useful and that may be true on Altis but with the incoming Tanoa map it’s going to be incredibly useful.

Also keep in mind that in the Arma engine water stops every kind of projectile immediately so an MRAP bobbing in the water is incredibly difficult to kill unless you have an elevated position. Lock on weapons impact the water before the target and do no damage.

Well you say that the amphibious capability isn’t useful and that may be true on Altis but with the incoming Tanoa map it’s going to be incredibly useful.

Also keep in mind that in the Arma engine water stops every kind of projectile immediately so an MRAP bobbing in the water is incredibly difficult to kill unless you have an elevated position. Lock on weapons impact the water before the target and do no damage.

Never had trouble killing a strider in the water with a launcher (but I know not to lock onto them, as if you don't count those arma moments or desync), now in stormy weather i can see that being a problem due to the waves going over it. Also that amphibious ability is not useful if in combat, you're just way to slow. Now if you up against infantry with no grenade launchers or rocket launchers or heavy machine guns, you can get away but if heading towards you will die. Only good for avoiding bridges or other water crossings, that guys like me will be set up at.

Strider. Fast, low profile, can laser target from behind cover, and when you absolutely have to, you can go frog mode, and traverse a river.

Never had trouble killing a strider in the water with a launcher (but I know not to lock onto them, as if you don't count those arma moments or desync), now in stormy weather i can see that being a problem due to the waves going over it. Also that amphibious ability is not useful if in combat, you're just way to slow. Now if you up against infantry with no grenade launchers or rocket launchers or heavy machine guns, you can get away but if heading towards you will die. Only good for avoiding bridges or other water crossings, that guys like me will be set up at.

Naturally you dont conduct an amphibious crossing under fite unless you have no other choice.

Where it will come in useful is like you said, avoiding chokepoints established at land crossings.

The question is a bit loaded though as the oriignal poster doesnt specify important information like:

Terrain

Force composition

Opposing forces

Yes the Strider has its commanders optics package but the Ifrit can carry a squad of dismounts plus the driver with its 5 seats.

Strider. Fast, low profile, can laser target from behind cover, and when you absolutely have to, you can go frog mode, and traverse a river.

a river.

260.gif

Yeah i beleive it's the best out of the 3 MRAPS in the game.The wiki says about top speed but not about acceleration witch is more needed when in rough terrain and strider is the best on that.Also better glass protection,amphibious and more.The real strider,the fennek is not an MRAP vehicle by nature and it's not so much protected like in game btw.