Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

Silent Hunter (5) anyone? Submarine sim... DAS BOOT :-)

I'm surprised Silent Hunter never got my attention. And never saw people talk about... The possibilities and community, this all reminds me of the of ArmA sniper nerds with max realism. So many distances, angles, calculations...

I do my first steps with SH5 + Wolves of Steel mod (Installation with SH5 Steam was a painful process).

I know there was a lot of complaints about SH5 but as someone new to the series this is irrelevant for me.

Wolves of Steel seems to be THE mod when it comes to realism. And it's a full mod package so as a newb (who does not know all those mods) I do not need to install much more. And it is pretty much settled. A german language pack available as well (voices are german anyway).

Love watching YT non-german gamers playing SH5 and talking funny german after the voices ingame  :)

I´m playing it right now, in fact I plan to create a thread on Wolves of steel with a kind of AAR series in the very near future

I have a really old boxed copy of SH5. I played it for a few weeks after I got it then gave up as I found it to be really buggy and clunky.

I heard that the best way to make it playable is to mod the hell out of it, but I never really looked into it that much.

I'm convinced they totally b0orked the picture of the mod, in "wolves" there should be that normal "s" at the end.

http://s6.postimg.org/5nwzv3uk1/56565225.jpg

Haha, the RealNavigation guys.... Goes like:

- Approach enemy

- Prepare

- Wait

- Prepare

- Wait

- Prepare

- (an hour later): Torpedo go go go

- (fail, haha)

As I said, same es the realistic ArmA snipers.

BTW those are the mods I use:

unbenannt86xp3.png

What is really ridiculous is the startup times. Even on SSD. Starting a campaign or mission takes like 2 or 3 minutes of loading.

I played a lot of SH3 a while back. A few realism mods and leaving the speech to German gave me the Das Boot experience I was looking for :)

My greatest achievement was taking down a ship using only sound, estimation of engine speed, and some long forgotten math. No periscope :)

Can we walk Inside the submarine ?

Yes :)

My greatest achievement was taking down a ship using only sound, estimation of engine speed, and some long forgotten math. No periscope :)

Ha, great.

In SH5, I was absolutely puzzled on how to operate the hydrophone manually. Now I found a Youtube video about it. Simply mouseover knobs and mousewheel...

That guy has good tutorials on many SH5 aspects... Here, Hydro hunt:

Nice Wolves of Steel playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXGyzkyFk9cYoRHxkEcPOAbTiHh0D0Lp

Seems like all SH players love Das Boot (who doesn't)...

Ha, great.

In SH5, I was absolutely puzzled on how to operate the hydrophone manually. Now I found a Youtube video about it. Simply mouseover knobs and mousewheel...

That guy has good tutorials on many SH5 aspects... Here, Hydro hunt:

Nice Wolves of Steel playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXGyzkyFk9cYoRHxkEcPOAbTiHh0D0Lp

Seems like all SH players love Das Boot (who doesn't)...

Yeah the videos are alright, but many of them are outdated by now, so consume with care.

I have played 2 submarine games, 1st was 688 Attack Sub, 2nd was Wolfpack :)