2. Astrell is also correct about the gun being a "prone only" or at least not a standing position gun.

The MG3 and MG42 are recoil operated systems. If you shoot it from the hip or even from the shoulder

you might get malfunctions, with the gun not cycling properly

https://youtu.be/Np6N_JKJaEA 

While you are correct about the RoF for Combat Situations, the second point is not correct, i would like to point you to Zentralrichtlinie A2-222/0-0-4750 No 1214 or of course the ZDV 3/12 Part 11.

A2-222/0-0-4750 Schießausbildung mit Maschinengewehr auf Zweibein 

Wird das Maschinengewehr in Pirschhaltung getragen und ein Feind
auf kurze Entfernung vor sich erkannt, wird stehen geblieben und in den Hüftanschlag
gegangen. Die Schützen bzw. Schützinnen verschaffen sich festen
Stand, indem sie den linken Fuß einen Schritt nach vorn setzen und ihr ganzes
Gewicht darauf legen. Mit dem rechten Bein wird sich nach hinten abgestützt 

Rough Translation:

If the Weapon is carried in a standing position and enemy troops are spotted on short distance, the MG should be fired from a standing Position from the Hip.
  • Like 1

Emm, short recoil operation is also used in pistols and shotguns, both of which are weapons that are designed to be fired from a standing position. And the MG42 came with a recoil booster precisely to ensure reliable operation. And we've got images of WWII Wehrmacht firing the weapon from a standing position, and we have evidence that the Bundeswehr still considers firing the weapon from the hip a valid tactic if the tactical situation requires it. A MMG that can't fire from any position other then prone with the Bipod deployed, would not be a very good weapon, as the MMG team has to advance along with their Squad when on offense.       

For me as active german soldier since 8 years now:

1.) The MG3 does not have any kind of different bolt to reduce the ROF

2.) The MG3 actually is a LMG

3.) Firing the MG3 while standing is normal, like firing it while crouche or being in prone pos. (It depends on the situation!) 

In German:

Wenn da hohes Gras ist bringt mir der liegende Anschlag nichts! Ich schieße aus der Fleischlafette mit meinem MG2 oder aus dem Stand heraus den Deutschuss und halte den Feind nieder. 

4.) There are many guys here who tell a lotta sh**t

Greetings

• Like 6

Ok guys, i want to believe you( especially Eagle1992 and vPzBtl33_Hunger) but didn´t you watch the video, i linked?

Was it just him being not able to hold the gun( i think he knows how and he is not weak) or was it something else?

Did not one of you had at least one malfunction in training while shooting from the hip?

Ok guys, i want to believe you( especially Eagle1992 and vPzBtl33_Hunger) but didn´t you watch the video, i linked?

Was it just him being not able to hold the gun( i think he knows how and he is not weak) or was it something else?

Did not one of you had at least one malfunction in training while shooting from the hip?

Its not like that thing isn't jamming no matter what you do.

But shooting it while standing is possible, its not accurate but the MG3 isn't that accurate in general.

• Like 1

Well first off it leads to a 404 for me, and second, a number of things can cause a weapon to malfunction, I doubt firing it standing up is one of those things unless the weapon is already damaged. 

• Like 1

404 ? ok just search  for GY6vids MG42. He had several malfunctions when fireing from the hip.

Well first off it leads to a 404 for me, and second, a number of things can cause a weapon to malfunction, I doubt firing it standing up is one of those things unless the weapon is already damaged. 

We'll see if I have better luck posting the link. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6N_JKJaEA

In the video he has two malfunctions, first is because he lets the belt is hang it can't feed properly, then after holding the belt he makes the observation that the gun is jamming because it doesn't have enough resistance on it, same idea as limp-wristing a pistol, basically because too much of the energy goes into physically pushing the poorly held weapon back, rather than driving the recoil spring, the spring doesn't get compressed enough to rebound with enough force to chamber the next round, leading to the stoppage.

I'll be the frist to admit that I have no practical experience in this matter, however just looking at his stance, he's kind of shooting "rambo" style with the stock sandwiched between his arm and his side, the recoil can just push the butt back into the air behind him.

I'm thinking if he got into a lower stance like this one

a0035.gif

where the butt will push back directly into his hip, he'd be able to get reliable function, considering he shoots fine from the shoulder. I know in the illustration that's an M249, with a sling, and the stance looks really awkward and kind of dumb, but if it means the difference between my weapon working or not, I'm ready to look dumb all day.

I think the moral of the story here is, it doesn't matter if your Sly, Arnold or Jesse "The Body" Ventura, shooting a machine gun from the hip is a desperation move that should only be done in an emergency.

@War_lord

is there a bugtracker for NiArms? The 1.0 version of MG3 has some missing inventory pictures and constant muzzle flash.

@War_lord

is there a bugtracker for NiArms? The 1.0 version of MG3 has some missing inventory pictures and constant muzzle flash.

Hey, you may want to re-download because the MG3 works fine for me (both the regular version and the KWK one). Then again I may have used a different download link that you. I'd say try to get it again and see if you still have the same problem.

@War_lord

We do:

https://github.com/toadie2k/NIArms/issues

However as irving said, I would advise you try a total re download first, your issues sound more like a pbo got corrupted.

Good Job war_lord:

Go the opening post, notice that there's a link the the bug tracker, and then apologise to me. Please try using some brain power before you get snarky with me in future.

• Like 1

Go the opening post, notice that there's a link the the bug tracker, and then apologise to me. Please try using some brain power before you get snarky with me in future.

That. Was using Github to track bugs before the repo was in use.

Shit,Now you've all drawn attention to it, I may as well mention:

NIArms is available on GitHub.Entire functioning source base, and has been, discretely, since July. Primarily I set it up to coordinate with YoursTruly and Robalo, but it works with the ethos of NIArms, so eh. The terrible secret is out to air now. All I really ask is that if you do want to make a contribution or a derivative, please create a fork or let me know otherwise how you're using it, just so I don't have to hunt down individuals doing less honourable stuff with it.

• Like 7

I think I saw it in the Github, but just to confirm, the issue with RHS mags not being able to be used with the RHS AKM when the RHS compatability pbo is activated has been fixed? I believe it also effects some rifles with the VOG.

I think I saw it in the Github, but just to confirm, the issue with RHS mags not being able to be used with the RHS AKM when the RHS compatability pbo is activated has been fixed? I believe it also effects some rifles with the VOG.

Yep, fixed.

• Like 1

G'day NIArms team,

I was wondering with the upcoming release of the SIG Sauer pistols pack, will you be developing new loading/reloading animations that show the players hands actually rack the slide instead of using the slide lock lever to release the slide after a slide lock reload?

• Like 1

Is the SG550 series of rifles still in the works?

Also how do you vote for upcoming content? Is that a patreon thing?

Is the SG550 series of rifles still in the works?

Also how do you vote for upcoming content? Is that a patreon thing?

Yes, they've been started. Current projects are: SG550, ACR, my P226's, and one other commission. Upcoming projects in the near future are the Lee-Enfields and a C96 commission.

The voting is indeed a patreon thing.

• Like 2

...I knew that, because I'm the one who was contacted to arrange it, the client doesn't want the whole forum hearing about it. Could you please edit your post?

• Like 1

...I knew that, because I'm the one who was contacted to arrange it, the client doesn't want the whole forum hearing about it. Could you please edit your post?

Thanks war_lord, unfortunately it would seem the cat's out of the bag on this one. I'm much less concerned about the whole forum / internet knowing, rather the one guy in particular that this was meant to surprise. Luckily the secret may be safe for now as I don't believe that he has an account here, much less frequently checks the NIArms thread (although he'd probably be quite keen on this topic if he were more handy with his PC). 

Said individual used one of these as a service weapon and marvels at most everything Sniper-related in Arma 3. While very unassuming, understated and often times soft spoken, my friend in question is the kind of guy who will literally impart a mountain's worth of knowledge to anyone who has the discipline and, for lack of a better term, appreciation, to sit down and listen. He doesn't seek to be personally appreciated as a teacher or mentor for his experience, rather that you appreciate the lesson for what it is, which could probably be summed up as "There's a lot more to being a sniper than running around looking like a bush and shooting people from far away."

Aside from putting a smile on the face of a good dude, I'd like to hope that this weapon also helps to carry that message forward. Anyways I look forward to the day that Toadie's done working his magic on this one, at the very least it will give us all a new toy to play with!

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm very much of the same mind, the popular culture perception of what Sniping is really doesn't do the job of getting across what a demanding job it really is.

I really am terribly sorry that it got out though. Just as a general rule folks (and this is one I've screwed up on myself in the past) if you learn something from Toadie's twitter, it's still not necessarily something that NIA wants the forum to know about just yet, so always check with Toadie (or myself, if you need an answer right away) before you release information gained from Twitter, Twitch or Patreon. 

• Like 1

Yes, they've been started. Current projects are: SG550, ACR, my P226's, and one other commission. Upcoming projects in the near future are the Lee-Enfields and a C96 commission.

The voting is indeed a patreon thing.

May as well give a visual sitrep of everything (imgur's dead for me right now, so apologies that this isn't stuck in an album or something. Also Twitterers will already have seen some of these. apologies) -

SG550's well underway.

Have someone feeding me GREAT reference material(even has rulers to give accurate measurements. 10/10) on it so I'm powering through. Currently working on the Trunnion and locking lugs.

https://my.mixtape.moe/wtqtaw.PNG

ACR

Going through the HP bake mesh

https://my.mixtape.moe/dxmbhv.PNG Currently Finished parts of the HP Bake

Completed LP looks a bit like this

https://my.mixtape.moe/suikum.PNG

https://my.mixtape.moe/hvguvr.PNG

P226s

What U need on your Sig, fam?

https://my.mixtape.moe/suqlhx.PNG

Sights (taking the optic Slot): VonStavenhagen (Factory West German), 3-Dot (SigSauer Modern/Sigarms NH Factory), V-TAC, AT Triangular, Trijicon XS, Cadex RDS Mount (with Docter RDS), High-profile 3-dots with frame-mounted Romeo-1

Frames : Early Stock,Elite,(Still to do: Late model Stock)

Slides: Modern Factory, Early West German/German.(all other slides are just different finish jobs/detailings of the former)

Grips: Stock profile, Hogue Overmould, (todo: E2 Profile, thinking about: Hogue G10s. No promises.)

Barrels: Standard and Threaded in the two main bore sizes (9x19 and .40)

https://my.mixtape.moe/coqahe.PNG

https://my.mixtape.moe/fcluxp.PNG

https://my.mixtape.moe/kqxoih.PNG

https://my.mixtape.moe/auddgv.PNG

My only real caveats for the Sigs right now is I don't plan to do the SA version or the X-series.. or the Legion... For now.

FN 30-11

One of the real benefits of doing this is that once it's done,I've got a really solid base for most any full-size Mauser-98-action rifle ever.

https://my.mixtape.moe/seafqu.PNG

• Like 5

Is the SG542 going to be included? (The semi auto .308 big brother to the 550)

Also I notice there is no SKS on the list, I haven't yet found a decent SKS mod and would love to see one here.