Sign in to follow this  
beerhunter125

Visuals and sounds..look at "Squad"

I've always wondered why the bullet impacts were more representative of paint ball splatters and the weapon sounds were cap gun like (even though the team says these are actual weapon sounds)  in ArmA.

"Squad" weapon sounds SOUND like high powered rifles and bullet impacts LOOK like high powered impacts.

Why can't we have these?

We can't have them because you didn't make them? On the contrary, perhaps providing a detailed review of your experience and presenting it to BI as feedback, would suffice.

• Like 3

I've always wondered why the bullet impacts were more representative of paint ball splatters and the weapon sounds were cap gun like (even though the team says these are actual weapon sounds)  in ArmA.

"Squad" weapon sounds SOUND like high powered rifles and bullet impacts LOOK like high powered impacts.

Why can't we have these?

Checked a few video of Squad and really can't hear those good sounding rifles at all.

(for example:

)

Actually current soundscape of Arma way ahead of Squad. However my opinion based on recorded videos not real gameplay.

Why can't we have these?

Decals or rather the lack thereof has always been a curiousity of mine for the arma series as well, up to Arma 2 they were nonexistance period, Arma 2 brought the small black divots and its stayed since.

At the time I believe the claim was performance reasons, I don't know if thats it or if its associating the decal type with the penetration material or something...else...not sure, it would be neat to see but in the grand scheme most combat takes place at distance, the worry is normally more about where the rounds are coming from as opposed to where they hit, you're only going to notice decals in close combat really.

And it works great for games such as world of tanks where you can be hit by an unknown threat, retreat, examine the impact point to determine where the shot may have come from and either be more cautious or avoid it, whereas in Arma that one shot in a tank engagement either renders the other inoperable or near death, depending on the impact of course.

Visuals and sounds..look at "Squad"...

...as an example of what NOT to do?

• Like 3

Why can't we have these?

Mate, SQUAD is a great game and the guys behind deserve all the respect, for everything what they have done,
But SQUAD is  SQUAD and ARMA is ARMA.
  • Like 4

Mate, SQUAD is a great game and the guys behind deserve all the respect, for everything what they have done,
But SQUAD is  SQUAD and ARMA is ARMA.

this, so much. What BI are doing with Arma 3 right now in terms of Audio is absolutely amazing. Forget about Squad's Audio, because it honestly doesn't have anything to show for itself, except for maybe a few impact sounds, and explosions sounds Aside from that, better ones can be made in Arma 3, and are probably already in the works.

As for impact effects, on the other hand... I can agree somewhat on this. The main reason i could find them not being a thing, is time, resources, and performance. Those three factors are the most likely to contribute to still having extremely low detailed impact effects. Squad's effects are amazing, and that's probably due to it being run on a different engine, which has more capabilities in that sector, than say, Arma does in RV4. But i don't think we'll see this getting looked at like sound is, due to the first three factors i stated to begin with. Look at the state of lighting. We can't even have light sources that are effected by other objects. Light sources are also limited. Effects is ways off, and honestly, i'd rather see infinite view distance before better effects.

• Like 1

Why can't we have these?

Due to 15-y.o. game engine.

I'm completely agree that Arma's bullet impacts/explosions/other similar effects are outright awful. I can't stand that goddamn slow-paced "generic cloud effect that vaguely resembles an explosion of some generic ordnance" and "generic fire ballon that meant to represent a burning vehicle". Arma's visuals are bland, boring, non-immersive and simply isn't something that player would like to look at. I really hope that BI will adress this problem, at least partially, in upcoming expansion.

I cant wait for this game to be completed, it perfectly fills the MP void that Arma could never provide, im liking everything about the game including the sound and its still being built..

I wasn't trying to compare the two ..both have their strong points and weak points as far as game play goes.

I was simply pointing out the graphics (at least as far as bullets/explosions go) and audio in "Squad" are superior but i guess , as was pointed out earlier , the ArmA3 engine is 15 years old and can't reproduce these.

please stop using the 15yo argument...it gimmes me physical pain to read this shit: Unreal was released in 1998 ffs (squad engine you know). In this day and age there are a couple of engine really build from scratch.

and if you want me to be picky:

1. bullets do NOT create big splashy decal effects when hitting metal, except incendiary AP: they either penetrate or they are squashed into that metal thing. 

2. the sounds are as far as they can be from the real deal.

• Like 3

I cant wait for this game to be completed, it perfectly fills the MP void that Arma could never provide, im liking everything about the game including the sound and its still being built..

youtube.com/watch?v=oOouV4UrNcI

If BI made similiar sounds for rifles, everyone would be mad at them for weapons sounding like "toy guns" "bb guns".

• Like 1

If BI made similiar sounds for rifles, everyone would be mad at them for weapons sounding like "toy guns" "bb guns".

I doubt they could if they wanted? but it matters not, im happy there is no more Arma 2 AK sound in Arma 3, remember that lame shit, it was the sound of tapping your finger on your desk, so im very happy where BI is going in the sound dept, just excited for this game is all, looks like a lot of detail has gone into it.

I doubt they could if they wanted? but it matters not, im happy there is no more Arma 2 AK sound in Arma 3, remember that lame shit, it was the sound of tapping your finger on your desk, so im very happy where BI is going in the sound dept, just excited for this game is all, looks like a lot of detail has gone into it.

Tell me, what is so special about it? To me it's just a mid-distant recorded pop with a pre-set reverb sample (I guess environment SFX works the same way as in A3). Surely, BI would be able to do something similiar if they wanted to.

Edit:

I was bored... :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWFMgaCE1n4

• Like 1

Tell me, what is so special about it? To me it's just a mid-distant recorded pop with a pre-set reverb sample (I guess environment SFX works the same way as in A3). Surely, BI would be able to do something similiar if they wanted to.

Edit:

I was bored... :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWFMgaCE1n4

Yes you are right, im sure they could if they wanted to, i dont think anything is so special with the sounds except that the whole game looks detailed including the sound.

Is that AK rhs, JSRS? definitely not A2 vanilla :)

i think arma's sound is pretty cool now. the sound filters really make a difference. the only thing where arma still really falls short imho is particles. that's really the only thing that really sticks out as outdated (in terms of visuals and sound...the rest is a whole other story) when playing the game.

i think having particles be lit "properly" or just in a more complex way would go a long way in completing hte visual evolution the engine has goen through over the years.

to me it was always more about a consistent bigger picture than some bleeding edge fancy shaders to drool over anyways. that stuff takes a big toll on performance usually without really mattering when you are busy with actually playing. i think it's more about good lighting and choice of colours (as in, well executed assets). these are the things that make stuff convincing. that's why for example bf4 looks sexy and kind of real eventhough many assets are pretty simple when you observe them really closely for whatever reason.

and if you really want to compare games, i think Squad still looks more plastic than arma in a way in terms of depicting nature. not sure how to describe it. they are getting there though. their vegetation is getting better which is also due to some shader updates in UE4 itself i think.

but it's a high standard anyways since it's BIS' strong point. having great environment textures for grass clutter and stuff. without these highly immersive environments arma would be missing a large part of its fascination. at least for me personally.

• Like 1