Sign in to follow this  
pd3

Initial 1.58 got rid of the stuttering, post spotrep, it's back.

I was quite impressed with 1.58, I was anticipating it to be a pretty massive performance downgrade based on the issues I had been having and I was pleasantly surprised.

That being said, with the most recept hotfix, the stuttering is back with a vengeance, I'm assuming it might have to do something with the memory allocator being tinkered with and supposedly "fixing" something.

I never experienced the performance degradation cited for the fix, but I sure am now.

I'm going to restart my computer and see if anything is wrong on my end, but this is rather disappointing, I was rather optimistic for this update and now the stuttering is back.

Oh come on, man. Did you really start a new troubleshooting thread after playing the game once? Didn't even bother to try the most basic fix of turning it off and on again?

No system specs? Is it up-to-date? A little less vague description of "stutter with a vengeance"? What mission? Mods? Errors in log files? Used malloc?

And why can't you use those existing threads that discuss this issue?

I've posted my system specs in a thread dedicated to the stuttering issue of the previous version.

And yes, I had reset my computer once before, I've tried it again and there is no improvement.

To more clearly describe the problem, it does not appear to be processor or framerate related, so that would be useless, had I been getting performance consistent with the framerate I'm getting this wouldn't be a problem.

There now appears to be a threshold at which the game no longer runs smoothly, but it is completely irrespective of frame rate. This is a consistent and periodic pausing when there appears to be a certain amount of activity going on which previously was not an issue. I haven't used a custom malloc for some time, so that wouldn't be an issue, however the details of this most recent spotrep indicate that the memory allocation for the game has changed. That fact is a point of interest because the performance issues I'm experiencing seem to be explicitly related to memory access in some way.

There is no degradation in performance until something happens or some threshold is hit that causes the game to start pausing, especially if you try to do anything even as simple as change view perspectives or switch from the map. I would say it possibly has something to do with the amount of AI activity but my framerate is not the problem in fact it's really good for my machine, it's definitely acting as if the game at some point simply gets overwhelmed by something previously trivial and refuses to load specific resources as smoothly and flat out stops and skips. This especially if you attempt to do anything in a quick manner (turning, moving, etc) the pausing gets worse. However this pausing can happen whether or not my framerate is good or bad, that's the puzzling part.

It's worst when you're flying in an aircraft, which I might add was not the slightest bit of a problem before this spotrep. The missions I'm using are of my own creation except a port of urban conquest I made to Isla Duala, which has been extensively played unchanged since 1.56.

That mission itself can get quite busy and for some reason doesn't suffer the problem as much and runs quite well, however once more, if I get into a helicopter, even if I'm not flying around quickly, all of a sudden the game starts to stutter and pause frequently, I was very curious about 1.58's performance on this mission and I was pleasantly surprised when there were no major problems, post this recent update it seems the stuttering from late 1.56 has returned for me.

The rest of the missions I've created take place on altis and are also similarly unchanged and extensively played since 1.56, no addons used.

I'm running 16gb ram, AMD 980 black ed 3.7ghz quad core and a 7200 rpm sata2 hd

Crossfired radeon 6970s

• Like 1

Hello pd3,

thank you very much for your feedback.

Could you please PM me your dxdiag file and rpt files? Also did you verify integrity of your game cache via Steam to make sure none of the files are missing or corrupt? 

I would also suggested trying out the latest performance binaries provided by Dwarden:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-158-performance-binary-feedback/?p=3016422

From what I get the game does not seem to crash, however if it does, please make sure to upload and PM me the link for the crashdumps also.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hello pd3,

thank you very much for your feedback.

Could you please PM me your dxdiag file and rpt files? Also did you verify integrity of your game cache via Steam to make sure none of the files are missing or corrupt? 

I would also suggested trying out the latest performance binaries provided by Dwarden:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-158-performance-binary-feedback/?p=3016422

From what I get the game does not seem to crash, however if it does, please make sure to upload and PM me the link for the crashdumps also.

Thanks

I will get those to you ASAP, I unfortunately have a social engagement I can't get out of this evening so I will do so when I can.

And yes, after previous experiences I verified the game cache, no apparent failures, ran the game, experienced the performance issues, restarted it, ran it again, did so a second time.

And yes, no crashing at all, I haven't experienced any crashes with 1.58 at all, including this update.

A busy night turned into a busy weekend, I had -nologs enabled when running arma so there wasn't much in the way of RPT files so I had to disable the parameter and create one, I'm sending it via pastebin along with my dxdiag, I hope that's okay as I don't know how people feel about being sent files from random people these days.

I'm experiencing this stuttering exactly as described above. I think after the hotfix got worse. It happens when there is action between the AI (or the player and the AI). 

There is a definite micro-freeze (i'd say about 0.1-0.2s) i.e. just before a shot, an explosion, throwing a grenade, a spotting report, or sometimes accessing the inventory or changing weapons.

Gives the feeling that it tries too hard to load even the most common actions-sounds and the AI logic as well.

My test was in Eden, a fight between 4 (2v2) fireteams in Agia Marina. No mods. 

A freeze like this in the intense part of the battle occurs every 5-6 seconds. Trying to aim under this circumstances is just a joke.

Please don't post a tweak guide, I've tried parameters and malloc with zero results. Anyway these guides are recommended for a FPS increase.

I don't mind low FPS (30 is a practical limit for me) but must be smooth enough or else fun is replaced by   :angryfire:   :banghead:

My specs: i7-4710hq (OC'd to 2.8ghz), 16gb ram, GTX860m(4gb vram), WD 1TB SSHD 8GB

Problem solved* upgraded the machine with a SSD.

I will write to another more famous post about this (this thread looks abandoned) cause the performance impact with a HDD is tremendous

and more people must know. 

• Like 1