john_doe

Creating texture for glass windows

Hi guys!

I've been fiddling around with creating a texture for glass windows in ArmA 3.

Now i've come to the point where i know i need a .tga with transparency and convert it to a DXT5 .paa file...

But somehow my paa file changes to ARGB1555 and in-game its a solid kind of blue color.. (so not see-through)

My texture is just a simple brown color RGBA(112,78,0,143).

Here is my rvmat: http://pastebin.com/WMUmUVbE

(i have done some research on the rvmat, but most of it is kinda out of my league because i dont know alot about color management and stuff like that, so it may look like a mess...)

Does anyone know why this happens?

~ JohnDoe

Btw i'm not able to edit arma's paa used by the Arma 3 samples..

First resize your texture to get a *2 format (256*256, 512*512, 1024*1024 and so on).

Then you need to have an alpha channel in your .tga, which is a greyscale layer where all parts of your texture that are colored in black will be 100% transparent and those in white will be 100% visible. All the values between full black and full white (aka grey values) will define the visibility strengh of these parts.

You can also export your texture in the .png format without compression and with transparency, and then TexView2 will detect the alpha channel.

First resize your texture to get a *2 format (256*256, 512*512, 1024*1024 and so on).

Then you need to have an alpha channel in your .tga, which is a greyscale layer where all parts of your texture that are colored in black will be 100% transparent and those in white will be 100% visible. All the values between full black and full white (aka grey values) will define the visibility strengh of these parts.

Ah thanks! I think i know how to fix it now :)

You can also export your texture in the .png format without compression and with transparency, and then TexView2 will detect the alpha channel.

This didn't work.. But i think that is because my image size wasn't *2..

you can have procedural colored transparent windows BUT there needs to be a CA texture in the p3d to activate transparency.