Hi community

- Disclaimer

- I am not the best when it comes to explaining things to others. So please forgive me.

- What is explained here is subject to change (this tutorial will be updated accordingly).

- When a tools update is available (on main branch), after having installed the update be sure to verify game cache, extract game datas, and re-install buldozer before trying to do anything else.

- The way things are explained here is the way I do it, there are other ways.

- Introduction

In this "tutorial" I will assume that you already have the tools installed (this step won't be explained here) and your directory mapping is the following: 

Arma 3

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

Arma 3 Tools

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools

TuT_1.png?raw=1

- Step 1 - Work Drive Folder

Now we're gonna decide where we want our Work Drive to be located, go to D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ and make a folder here, name it the what you want (mine is Arma 3 Tools [WorkDrive]).

Your Work Drive directory is now the following:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools [WorkDrive]

TuT_2.png?raw=1

- Step 2 - Arma 3 Tools Directory Paths Setup

Now that your Work Drive folder is setup you can now launch Arma 3 Tools from Steam.

Once the window pops up, click on Preferences at the top then click on Options. Here you're going to setup your directory paths.

According to what we previously done, the tabs should look like this:

TuT_3.png?raw=1

*Do not forget to uncheck Use default box as in the picture just above*

Now click on Register, and you're done with this step.

- Step 3 - Mounting Work Drive

*Make sure both Arma 3 Tools (Arma3Tools.exe) & Steam (Steam.exe) executable are NOT run as administrator, otherwise your will be unable to mount your Work Drive*

You can now click on Mount the Project Drive to mount your Work Drive, yay.

TuT_4.png?raw=1

- Step 4 - Importing Arma 3 Assets

Click on Project Drive Management

TuT_5.png?raw=1

Then Extract Game Data

TuT_6.png?raw=1

Click on Run.

When prompted, verify information and click Yes.

TuT_7.png?raw=1

Once the process is done, you get this:

TuT_8.png?raw=1

Now open your Work Drive (Computer -> P:), your drive should look like this now:

*Image coming soon*

- Step 5 - Installing Buldozer

Now you can tick the Install Buldozer box.

TuT_10.png?raw=1

Click on Run.

Once it's done close the little window and go back to Arma 3 Tools then click on Preferences then Buldozer Configurator.

Choose the preset you want for both Object Builder and Terrain Builder then click on Apply configuration.

Now open your Work Drive (Computer -> P:), your drive should look like this now:

*Image coming soon*

*While you're at it open steam_appid.txt and verify that its content is 107410*

- Step 6 - Enjoy

Everything is now set up, you can now begin to work on your project.

Thanks for reading.

- Related link(s)

Work Drive (BIS)

Project Space (BIS)

Project Directory Migration (BIS)

- Update(s)

April 28th 2016 - First Iteration

May 30th 2016 - Update 0.984

March 17th 2017 - Update 1.08 - /!\ Read last post /!\

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good post.

Quick question: FuturaToP needs Mikero tools installed, didnt it?

Quote from BIS-Wiki

This batch extract all required data to being able to work on new maps with Arma 3 vanilla objects. 
This script is based on a community tool, you bear the risks! 
Note that you need the following "external" tools installed: 
  • Mikero's Dos Tools, ExtractPbo 
  • Mikero's Dos Tools, DeRap 
  • Mikero's Dos Tools, DeOgg 
  • Mikero's Dos Tools, DePBO 

And I think with Mikero's awesome tools installed, wouldnt it be better to just use Arma3P, which unpacks everything?

As soon as I find the time, I will try to add in here a guide to get Mikero's tools running. Always good to have references.

Best regards

• Like 3

Good post.

Quote from BIS-Wiki

And I think with Mikero's awesome tools installed, wouldnt it be better to just use Arma3P, which unpacks everything?

As soon as I find the time, I will try to add in here a guide to get Mikero's tools running. Always good to have references.

Best regards

Oh you're right, I totally omitted that part.

Hope soon enough everything will be handled via the work drive management button (TECHREP #00028)

This update was also an occasion to consolidate and polish Work Drive, which was introduced in the previous update.

It is now able to manage any work drive, meaning it can handle any drive letter from any source directory and setup Buldozer in this directory.

As mentioned on various community channels, it will eventually replace all scripts used to manage the "drive P" and its content.

During the upcoming weeks, it will become a substitute to mapfolders and FuturaToP, which will remain until the following update.

If you want to make a tutorial then go for it mate it's always good to have references as you say.

Could you possibly add a little snippet to Step 2.

When using custom paths if the "use default paths" box is ticked it will ignore whichever directories you enter and use the stock tools settings, un-check the box and it's all gravy.

Out of all the things I've helped people with getting thier tools operational, it's that they don't notice this check-box and a lot of frustration comes out of it, when in essence they haven't done anything wrong bar uncheck this box.

Could you possibly add a little snippet to Step 2.

When using custom paths if the "use default paths" box is ticked it will ignore whichever directories you enter and use the stock tools settings, un-check the box and it's all gravy.

Out of all the things I've helped people with getting thier tools operational, it's that they don't notice this check-box and a lot of frustration comes out of it, when in essence they haven't done anything wrong bar uncheck this box.

If they compare their settings window with the one in step 2, they will notice the "Use default" box is unchecked. I get what you mean tho when I wrote this tutorial, I was about to put it in bold red but it got out of my mind.

Now it is rectified. Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

- Step 5 - Importing Arma 3 Assets

Go to your Arma 3 Tools directory (D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools) and double-click on FuturaToP.

Mine would fail here, I had to double-click on DevP then FuturaToP

> Buldozer keeps reseting video settings, very annoying..

> How to get roads to show up for buldozer window,  same process ie.. editor.sqs

How do i install the workDrive P to another hard drive? The default C:\ drive installation is not an option for me as i dont have the space on it and i use my D:\ drive for everything i need.

How do i install the workDrive P to another hard drive? The default C:\ drive installation is not an option for me as i dont have the space on it and i use my D:\ drive for everything i need.

See Step 2 -> Path to your P Drive

Just put the path you want here. C, D, Y, Z, doesn't matter as long as it's not in the main Arma 3 Tools directory.

> Buldozer keeps reseting video settings, very annoying..

> How to get roads to show up for buldozer window,  same process ie.. editor.sqs

> Make sure you have a buldozer.cfg file in your Work Drive

> This is not part of the tutorial, for the roads to show up you need to define correct path in editor.sqs as you said, also a roads config file (<project name>\data\roads\RoadsLib.cfg) is needed and of course assign road type to your polylines (using database feature).

what i want to accomplish:

1. get buldozer to work with the visual update

2. keep my current P drive (custom directory via mikeros) intact (all work svn and personal files are there)

3. keep the A3 unpacked data (the a3 folder on P) intact

just needs to reinstall buldozer? is there a way to copy paste stuff manually across? if so what?

Arma3P will not tolerate buldozer.exe on YOUR p drive and neither should you. Arma3p removes it and the one billion dll's needed to use it.

Simply point your buldozer activation in both TB and OB to steam\arma3.exe directly and be rid of this issue forever.

no more missing dlls

no more tetrahedron bug

no more missing bin\config.bin\whatevers

no more shader mismatches

no more 'works in buldozer but not in game'

no more steam can't log in with invalid user

It's always your choice folks to keep filling forums with 'why doesn't blah work', or improve the quality of your workflow. forever.

There is NO relationship between where\ever\buldozer.exe is and p:\bin\config.cpp

There is NO relationship between 'pinkelephant,exe' and arma3\dta\bin.pbo

There is 1:1 correspondence between arma3.exe , it's shaders in bin.bpo, and config.cpp

there is only ONE 'buidozer' on your pc. it's not buried in devel tools, not buried in stable tools, it's your copy of arma3.exe

use it.

• Like 2

in case anyone else tries to update things manually as well:

1. use Project Drive Management and install Buldozer

2. go to your ArmA3 installation folder and unpack the bin.pbo from \Dta folder using BI A3 tools bankrev (this is important since it doesn't unpack .bin files)

3. copy the contents to your P:\ drive location \bin folder and over-write

4. enjoy

notes: there might be some other A3 pbos that you might need, especially for terrain making, but for what is worth, you can unpack these manually and keep what you need to be kept in the A3 folders as it is (my case)

...Simply point your buldozer activation in both TB and OB to steam\arma3.exe directly and be rid of this issue forever...

To be precise, I hope, you mean C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe, right? Furthermore, if it's installed on a different drive, like E in my case, then it should point to E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe, correct? should there be any other commands in the options. eg: -window, -buldozer, etc?

• Like 1

Easy to follow tut well set out and done, thanks a'lot pee for putting the effort in to help people 

keep up the good work mate arma 3 need people like yaself who are always willing to help :)

• Like 1

Can anyone point to a link for buldozer command modifiers, or if it's a short list just post them? My buldozer opens in a 4:3 window, but my ArmA3 is set up for 16:9, so all the assets in buldozer look scrunched together. Hopefully there's a modifier for that.

So I followed this guide (as well as scavenged through the rest of BI's forums and armaholic's forums) and I STILL can get my P drive to mount..

Here's a link to a video of me running through the process.. It matches exactly how hoverguy had posted it.

https://youtu.be/86pnreyZOgs

I also took a snap shot of what the cmd window looked like when it tried to install the P drive in the video.

http://imgur.com/D3oWHtp

I'd love it if someone could help me trouble shoot why I'm not able to mount the P drive!

EDIT: I just fixed the issue: the Steam.exe must also not  be running as administrator. 

Hoverguy, I would recommend you add this to your tutorial as many arma players may have this option selected in the properties menu. I was instructed to do so due to the number of mods I use.

• Like 2

On April 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Gruman said:

Good post.

Quote from BIS-Wiki

Best regards

Hello Hoverguy I have recently installed everything but it seems I am missing a rvmat for cars which the body.rvmat I searched for it on my computer but I still can't find it at all, i tried reinstalling everything but still the same thing is there anyway I can download it from a google drive or something please help and thanks on the tutorial on how to install your P Drive.

thanks mikero and scotg - i just fixed buldozer on my laptop by pointing OB to arma3.exe

after months of messing about trying to make it work, and getting a "no external viewer attached" error despite reinstalling, going through all the steps etc, it would always just fail.

It now works great.

Hello,

It seems that last update (1.08) has brought issues along with the x64 bits executable introduction.

Issue #1

For those who have problem with bulldozer opening split second then shutting down (in Terrain Builder), please read this:

Since the update, when you re-install bulldozer from the tools Work Drive Management -> Install bulldozer button, if you're on a x64 OS, x86 Dlls wont be copied over, you have to do it:

- Go to Arma 3 folder

- Copy arma3.exe & Dll\x86 folder to P drive respectively (replace if prompted)

- Delete buldozer.exe

- Rename arma3.exe to buldozer.exe

Now launch TB, open project, launch Bulldozer should work now.

Forcing TB to use arma3 exe's from Arma 3 folder doesn't seem to work either.

Issue #2

You can't extract game data using the Arma 3 Tools -> Work Drive Management -> Extract game data button, you have to use Arma3P from mikero tools suite for now.

UPDATE 18/03/2017

If you still have issues with bulldozer, just do the steps above then launch Terrain Builder (or Object Builder) from Arma 3 Tools directory directly (make shortcuts)

-> X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\TerrainBuilder\TerrainBuilder.exe*

-> X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\ObjectBuilder\ObjectBuilder.exe*

*Paths may differ

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hoverguy said:

Hello,

It seems that last update (1.08) has brought issues along with the x64 bits executable introduction.

Issue #1

For those who have problem with bulldozer opening split second then shutting down (in Terrain Builder), please read this:

Since the update, when you re-install bulldozer from the tools Work Drive Management -> Install bulldozer button, if you're on a x64 OS, x86 Dlls wont be copied over, you have to do it:

- Go to Arma 3 folder

- Copy arma3.exe & Dll\x86 folder to P drive respectively (replace if prompted)

- Delete buldozer.exe

- Rename arma.exe to buldozer.exe

Now launch TB, open project, launch Bulldozer should work now.

Forcing TB to use arma3 exe's from Arma 3 folder doesn't seem to work either.

Issue #2

You can't extract game data using the Arma 3 Tools -> Work Drive Management -> Extract game data button, you have to use Arma3P from mikero tools suite for now.

Thanks mate that worked straight away appreciate all the help you gave you should be apart of the Bis Team as you seem to have better knowledge than most there and fix alot of the problems keep up the good work :)