raspu86

ILBE Assault Pack with RT-1523G / TFAR

You need to have the item in your inventory. Then just place it with ace interaction https://i.imgur.com/nNY1brP.jpgand profit. The range is only increased if you are within 5 meters of the RF-3080.

Thank you so much!

I'm continuously looking forward to your mods.

Fantastic looking mod!  I've added it to my units load order, just request, as others have, textures.  My unit for example uses this mod for uniforms primarily. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29775 You might even be able to partner with VSM to get their texture maps?  The community is too closed these days in my opinion, and modders like yourself and VSM are really setting a good standard for quality and openness.

Would you consider maybe making a non-TFAR version? or is that out of the question? and by Non-TFAR i mean the same backpack just with out the TFAR dependency.

Any way we might see you release just a ilbe pack without the antena? just curious.

Is there anything else we need to do to get the extra range out of the SATCOM antenna? My buddy and I have been testing this out on Altis, and we can't seem to get more than about 13 km out of the radios. I understand that LOS has an effect on it, but shouldn't SATCOM negate that entirely? Is there a module we need added to the mission or something?

So, some members of my unit would like to test this mod out.   We tend to do missions on very large maps, with a long distance between base and operators in the field.
One of our members is a currently serving USMC Radioman, and has some things he'd like to ask you about tweaking.  He has a couple ides that he thinks might help you with the mod, particularly color correction, antenna usage, and maybe some range tweaking/balance with the SatCom module.

Edit:  And that would be he below.

I'm the guy Ski2060 mentioned, so here I go (apologies if some parts don't make sense, I'm still editing):

I love what I see, so far, but I recommend that the coyote version's color be changed to match the color of the SPC vest in RHS: USAF - that's the most accurate depiction of the coyote-colored equipment the Marine Corps uses. The MARPAT WD and D versions look like a decent color match. I would suggest adding the new FILBE pack, but that would not be fitting with the theme of the mod -  This mod is called the ILBE with RT-1523G (AN/PRC-119G), but the antennas you've modeled are for the RT-1796 (AN/PRC-117F); The Marine Corps has phased out the ILBE pack and both the PRC-119F and the PRC-117F, so they fit together like peas in a pod. Throwing in the FILBE and the PRC-117G that's currently in use would require you to make a new radio interface.

Is there anything else we need to do to get the extra range out of the SATCOM antenna? My buddy and I have been testing this out on Altis, and we can't seem to get more than about 13 km out of the radios. I understand that LOS has an effect on it, but shouldn't SATCOM negate that entirely? Is there a module we need added to the mission or something?

I agree with him - when SATCOM works, your range is effectively infinite, because you're no longer talking to the other radio; you're talking to the satellite, and the satellite is talking to the other radio. The satellite covers literally a third of the world, so even the largest map is no challenge. Here's my proposal:

PROS of the satcom antenna:

• Infinite range
  • If you implement forced walking with a whip antenna fully extended, this antenna gives you range while allowing you to immediately run like hell if you need to.

CONS of the satcom antenna:

• Must take the time to place it
  • Antenna is stationary while in use
  • Adds more weight to your pack - 6.8 LBs when you're trying to optimize to >80 LBs overall is a big deal!
  • Advantages for range only apply when within 5 meters of the antenna
  • Has a ten second delay before it reaches the other side - it has to go INTO SPACE and come back down.
  • Sounds like shit, always - lower bandwidth than direct LOS transmission like the radios we're used to.

If you want to simply double the range, I would go for a PRC-150, as pictured in your second reference photo:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/USMC-091016-M-6497H-001.jpg

It's a radio that follows the exact same form and weight [as the PRC-117F that uses all the extra antenna options you've modeled], which causes actual radio operators like myself to have trouble telling them apart - they're both a big green radio with a 10 foot antenna. Because your radios are currently equivalent to existing TFAR RT-1523G radios, I would recommend dressing up an ARC-210 radio as a PRC-150 bag. I would be grateful for that - the ARC-210 backpack in TFAR, which is a 40km radio, weighs 16 lbs and carries 2 lbs, which I find ridiculous.

I also cringe a little at the ability to run with a fully extended antenna, from a bad personal experience - You probably haven't seen it, but your research is partly accurate: A fully extended antenna is used while stationary, a fully collapsed antenna is used while moving rapidly, and if you're on foot patrol, you simply collapse the antenna halfway - It's like a tent pole, you can disconnect it at the middle and use the included Velcro strap to attach the top of the antenna to the bottom of the antenna. As to why this is an important distinction... I went on a hike with the antenna fully extended, and after four miles, all the wobbling from the big spring at the base of the antenna caused it to fatigue and snap off at the base. When I returned, I was told by multiple Sergeants that I should have had the antenna at half mast. I see that you have equipment options in ACE to extend the antenna or collapse the antenna on the fly, which has sold me on this mod forever. Like Zade's Backpack On Chest mod, I would recommend that the fully extended antenna forces you to walk, because realistically, the antenna will continuously bash you in the back of the head if you run around with it fully up, and WILL eventually break.

In the end, it depends entirely on how much effort you want to put into the mod. I love your pack models, and don't mind that the radio and antennas don't match - I will pretend I'm carrying a PRC-117F. I will most likely get my group to use this mod and then carry around the MARPAT-WD version with the collapsed antenna, because it has almost the capacity of a Kitbag, is only slightly heavier than a kitbag, and has the same effect as the RT-1523G BIG radios in TFAR, while looking much better than TFAR radios. I look forward to seeing the improvements and changes you make in the future, you're doing an amazing job so far!

• Like 4

I

Love

This

Mod

Seriously, it's great. I do have a few suggestions, however -

The coyote looks too green, if it matched RHS it would look a little nicer IMO.

The ranger green seems to be really dark, but not sure as I don't know what ranger green is supposed to look like.

Both marpats have a lot of contrast, the woodland looks good for the most part but some of the desert colors nearly look pink.

It might just be due to the visual update, but a few color corrections might help out a little, if you are willing to. Regardless, I do love this mod, thanks for putting the time it it for us!

I'm the guy Ski2060 mentioned, so here I go (apologies if some parts don't make sense, I'm still editing):

I agree with him - when SATCOM works, your range is effectively infinite, because you're no longer talking to the other radio; you're talking to the satellite, and the satellite is talking to the other radio. The satellite covers literally a third of the world, so even the largest map is no challenge. Here's my proposal:

• Infinite range
  • If you implement forced walking with a whip antenna fully extended, this antenna gives you range while allowing you to immediately run like hell if you need to.

• Adds more weight to your pack - 6.8 LBs when you're trying to optimize to >80 LBs overall is a big deal!
  • Has a ten second delay before it reaches the other side - it has to go INTO SPACE and come back down.
  • Sounds like shit, always - lower bandwidth than direct LOS transmission like the radios we're used to.

If you want to simply double the range, I would go for a PRC-150, as pictured in your second reference photo:

It's a radio that follows the exact same form and weight [as the PRC-117F that uses all the extra antenna options you've modeled], which causes actual radio operators like myself to have trouble telling them apart - they're both a big green radio with a 10 foot antenna. Because your radios are currently equivalent to existing TFAR RT-1523G radios, I would recommend dressing up an ARC-210 radio as a PRC-150 bag. I would be grateful for that - the ARC-210 backpack in TFAR, which is a 40km radio, weighs 16 lbs and carries 2 lbs, which I find ridiculous.

I love what I see, so far, but I recommend that the coyote version's color be changed to match the color of the SPC vest in RHS: USAF - that's the most accurate depiction of the coyote-colored equipment the Marine Corps uses. I would suggest adding the new FILBE pack, but that would not be fitting with the theme of the mod -  This mod is called the ILBE with RT-1523G (AN/PRC-119G), but the antennas you've modeled are for the RT-1796 (AN/PRC-117F); The Marine Corps has phased out both the ILBE and the PRC-117F, so they fit together like peas in a pod.

I also cringe a little at the use of the fully extended antenna, from a bad personal experience - You probably haven't seen it, but your research is partly accurate: A fully extended antenna is used while stationary, a fully collapsed antenna is used while moving rapidly, and if you're on foot patrol, you simply collapse the antenna halfway: It's like a tent pole, you can disconnect it at the middle and use the included Velcro strap to attach the top of the antenna to the bottom of the antenna. As to why this is an important distinction: I went on a hike with the antenna fully extended, and after four miles, all the wobbling from the big spring at the base of the antenna caused it to fatigue and snap off at the base. When I returned, I was told by multiple Sergeants that I should have had the antenna at half mast.

I see that you have equipment options in ACE to extend the antenna or collapse the antenna on the fly, which has sold me on this mod forever. Like Zade's Backpack On Chest mod, I would recommend that the fully extended antenna forces you to walk, because realistically, the antenna will continuously bash you in the back of the head if you run around with it fully up, and WILL eventually break.

In the end, it depends entirely on how much effort you want to put into the mod. I love the pack models and don't mind that the combination of radio to antenna is not realistic. I will most likely get my group to use this mod and then carry around the MARPAT-WD version with the collapsed antenna, because it has almost the capacity of a kitbag, is only slightly heavier than a kitbag, and has the same effect as the RT-1523G BIG radios while looking worlds better. I look forward to seeing the improvements and changes you make in the future, you're doing an amazing job so far!

Oorah brother. Finally another radioman with on field knowledge. +1 to the suggestion.

• Infinite range

I love what I see, so far, but I recommend that the coyote version's color be changed to match the color of the SPC vest in RHS: USAF - that's the most accurate depiction of the coyote-colored equipment the Marine Corps uses. I would suggest adding the new FILBE pack, but that would not be fitting with the theme of the mod -  This mod is called the ILBE with RT-1523G (AN/PRC-119G), but the antennas you've modeled are for the RT-1796 (AN/PRC-117F); The Marine Corps has phased out both the ILBE and the PRC-117F, so they fit together like peas in a pod.

I also cringe a little at the use of the fully extended antenna, from a bad personal experience - You probably haven't seen it, but your research is partly accurate: A fully extended antenna is used while stationary, a fully collapsed antenna is used while moving rapidly, and if you're on foot patrol, you simply collapse the antenna halfway: It's like a tent pole, you can disconnect it at the middle and use the included Velcro strap to attach the top of the antenna to the bottom of the antenna. As to why this is an important distinction: I went on a hike with the antenna fully extended, and after four miles, all the wobbling from the big spring at the base of the antenna caused it to fatigue and snap off at the base. When I returned, I was told by multiple Sergeants that I should have had the antenna at half mast.

I see that you have equipment options in ACE to extend the antenna or collapse the antenna on the fly, which has sold me on this mod forever. Like Zade's Backpack On Chest mod, I would recommend that the fully extended antenna forces you to walk, because realistically, the antenna will continuously bash you in the back of the head if you run around with it fully up, and WILL eventually break.

In the end, it depends entirely on how much effort you want to put into the mod. I love the pack models and don't mind that the combination of radio to antenna is not realistic. I will most likely get my group to use this mod and then carry around the MARPAT-WD version with the collapsed antenna, because it has almost the capacity of a kitbag, is only slightly heavier than a kitbag, and has the same effect as the RT-1523G BIG radios while looking worlds better. I look forward to seeing the improvements and changes you make in the future, you're doing an amazing job so far!

Awesome another 06!. I would agree with you on choosing the PRC-150 if you want to double your range, however HF Comms are the most finicky out of them all. HF relies heavily if not entirely on sky-wave propagation. So if the atmosphere is not condusive to HF communications, meaning the E1 and E2 layers are not ionized correctly you will not get the correct sky-wave reflection causing your signal to skip your intended target or just not make it there. I would definitely just stick with SATCOM as your goto choice for long-distance communication.

• Like 1

Awesome another 06!. I would agree with you on choosing the PRC-150 if you want to double your range, however HF Comms are the most finicky out of them all. HF relies heavily if not entirely on sky-wave propagation. So if the atmosphere is not condusive to HF communications, meaning the E1 and E2 layers are not ionized correctly you will not get the correct sky-wave reflection causing your signal to skip your intended target or just not make it there. I would definitely just stick with SATCOM as your goto choice for long-distance communication.

That's why the guy in the picture I linked was on his cell phone staring at the radio with a frustrated look on his face. HF is terrible, and couldn't be realistically depicted in a game like ARMA, but this is the same game where you can bandage and stitch wounds and get back in the fight immediately. 100% realism is not a realistic expectation.

I'll be happy with concept first (PRC-150 bag as a long range solution, and possibly with a minimum distance like you mentioned, like we see in the artillery computer) and application later (restricting the radio to the 1.6 - 29.999MHZ HF radio band with a visual representation of the face of the PRC-150 radio and simulation of how terrible HF sounds.). Yes, the PRC-150 can transmit from 30-59.999 MHz, but it's beyond awful and we have other radios that can do that job far and above the 150's abilities in that space.

HF is terrible, and couldn't be realistically depicted in a game like ARMA, but this is the same game where you can bandage and stitch wounds and get back in the fight immediately. 100% realism is not a realistic expectation.

I agree - trying to simulate HF propagation and shit like sporadic E ruining your day is probably beyond the scope of the series. :D

Ski2060 asked me an interesting question tonight: were you able to test if the SATCOM antenna works with the existing TFAR radios?

Then I remembered that the PRC-152 can do SATCOM. It would be useful, but not broken - it's a 6.8 LB antenna that would, in the SATCOM antenna's current 'doubler' method, make a 5KM radio reach 10 KM. Again, useful for JTACs in stationary operations without a larger radio. It would be useful for JTACs who don't have to reach the full range of existing TFAR backpack radios, while only adding 6.8 LBs, which is an advantage because the smallest RT-1523G radio in TFAR weighs 8 LBs. Just an idea.

Hey, 

thanks for your elaborate feedback guys. I'll certainly consider some of the points made in the next patch.

Regarding the RF-3080:

Currently it doubles the range of any radio you have in your inventory. There is no distinction between radios! I'll also boost the satcoms muliplicator in the next patch since 2x doesn't seem to be enough.

• Like 3

Awesome mod ... im loving it. Thanks for this!

Hey,

thanks for your elaborate feedback guys. I'll certainly consider some of the points made in the next patch.

Today at work, I took several photos of the antennas you've modeled, and can answer any questions you may have about their function, behavior, or markings, if you'd like. I'm sure you're fine on markings; what I see in-game is spot-on. One note, I was kind of irked that the SATCOM antenna weighs 6.8 lbs in-game. I checked it out today, and a complete antenna bag with strap, RF-3080 antenna, net, two antenna cables, and two signal extenders weighed about 5.75 lbs; the main body of the RF-3080 weighs 3.5 lbs. I'm not trying to mess too much with what you've got set up, but it seemed a little odd to have an ACE 'drag' interaction rather than a 'carry' interaction on a 3.5 lb antenna, lol. :confused:

20160608_124703s.jpg

If you can swing it, a way to balance your possible extension of the SATCOM multiplier is the fact that SATCOM doesn't work so well in cloudy/rainy weather. That's where the signal extenders pictured below come in: they narrow your signal cone to help you punch through cloud cover. Also pictured: the attached net to place any manner of heavy object to weigh down the SATCOM antenna so it doesn't fall over as easily. Not strictly necessary for gameplay, but I like to mention that it's there. Another possibility to balance upping the multiplier is to force the user to shoot an azimuth with a compass and rotate the antenna to get within a certain number of degrees of the recipient. Since there is no satellite to aim at in ARMA 3, we can approximate it by requiring you to aim it in the recipeint's general direction. Just an idea.

20160608_122834s.jpg

See also: you could probably make a placeable object/module for the map editor or zeus for the user to aim at as a stand-in for a satellite, and justify making the range of SATCOM infinite, if you can aim the antenna within a certain number of degrees of the 'satellite'. It's not too difficult for the user to find the azimuth because the MicroDAGR in ACE allows you to draw a line between two points and find the azimuth in seconds.

20160608_122905s.jpg

The vinyl antenna bag pictured below might be a better world model for when an undeployed SATCOM antenna is dropped on the ground, as opposed to the existing antenna model laying on its side.

20160608_123527s.jpg

Again, I really appreciate the work you've done so far; you've addressed a sorely neglected niche. Since I feel like I've been posting a deluge, I'll hold back anything further unless you ask me for it.

• Like 3

Frag - I've found your posts hugely informative, and a great contribution to the discussion, regardless whether any of it makes it into this or any other mod.

Back to this pack (excuse the pun)... perhaps making an extendable version of the blade antenna too?

Back to this pack (excuse the pun)... perhaps making an extendable version of the blade antenna too?

It could be good, but it currently looks too large - I'm not familiar with the antenna as modeled with three folds. In its current form, it looks like it would unfold to between 4 or 5 feet long. It's supposed to be a 'three foot tape' - the body of the antenna above the flex-base/gooseneck is three feet long - I can get side by side comparisons of each antenna for scale adjustment, but I think modelling programs allow you to compare your model to a ruler.

20160608_124818s.jpg

There IS an antenna that is 4-5 feet long and folds three times like what's seen in-game, but as far as I know it's the PRC-152's other antenna.

The blade antenna modelled is the VHF Blade Antenna Kit - 30 to 108 MHz (10512-0201-01) which is supposed to be 48-Inch (1.2 m) long when unfolded: https://i.imgur.com/scBw26V.png. Arma character is 1.8 m high.

In other news: I adjusted the coyote color to fit the RHS coyote equipment better and a RF-3080 bag: http://i.imgur.com/Sb55CDQ.jpg

• Like 3

The blade antenna modelled is the VHF Blade Antenna Kit - 30 to 108 MHz (10512-0201-01) which is supposed to be 48-Inch (1.2 m) long when unfolded: https://i.imgur.com/scBw26V.png. Arma character is 1.8 m high.

It looks like we have old antennas that don't actally belong to this radio, because the antennas we have are much shorter than 48 inches; they're 36 inches. I see in my picture a mention on the antenna's marking of the 'PRC-25', which I just googled.

P6300670.jpg

That antenna on the bottom looks awfully familiar; it's too short to fold three times. Classic Marine Corps, we use old outdated parts that still work.

Here is your proper 10512-0201-01 antenna assembly available from Harris:

IMG_0930.JPG

Three folds. Keep what you have; I'm pretty certain my shop is wrong. I'll look into it on Monday - this isn't the first time we've had wrong gear that still works.

In other news: I adjusted the coyote color to fit the RHS coyote equipment better and a RF-3080 bag: http://i.imgur.com/Sb55CDQ.jpg

That is absolutely gorgeous! Who needs a FILBE pack, when I've got a perfectly good Coyote ILBE?

The ILBE is said to have a capacity of 1500 cubic inches, and the FILBE, while shaped differently, has a capacity of 1525 inches alongside a supplemental Assault Pouch that everyone straps on that adds an extra 300 cubic inches. I just spent the last two days in ARMA examining equipment, weapon, and item weights to find a loadout around/under 80 lbs, and the closest I got was 79.17 lbs with your pack.

Going deeper, I just found a "purchasing description" from 2012 about the FILBE pack, which mentions that it was designed in Coyote '498' (the only one I've actually seen), Woodland MARPAT, Desert MARPAT, Snow MARPAT, OCP, and Tan '499'. Blew my mind a little bit; I doubt the Marine Corps ever actually considered purchasing the other colors.

That RF-3080 bag is perfect, and with such short turnaround! Were you setting that up before I mentioned it?

Edited by Frag The Cullen

Version 1.2 released. Check first post!

Changelog:

- Improved Textures for ILBE

- Added RF-3080 bag

- Increased RF-3080 range multiplier from 2 to 4

- Decreased RF-3080 weight to 2.63 kg

- Fixed an issue with conflicting TFAR muliplicators when more than one RF-3080 was placed in the mission

• Like 4

This mod is nice, personally i do not like the current TFR backpacks so  it nice to have some more to choose from. Hope to see more in the future  :)