john_doe

O2 object naming for LODs when importing models

Hi guys!

So i just found out a pretty nice feature of O2 when importing/exporting FBX files (have not tested other file types).

My workflow for creating a building in ArmA3 looked like this:

1. Make model in 3Ds Max
  2. Export as FBX
  3. Import FBX in O2
  4. Setup LODs
  5. Pack as addon

Now the problem with this is whenever i change something to my model, i have to redo all my LODs in O2..

I was using a Building from the Arma 3 samples, as a guide to learning "Building creation" for Arma 3, and noticed that whenever i exported the O2 model (.p3d) as an FBX and imported it in my 3Ds Max, that all the names for the objects where different from the names in O2..

3Ds Max: http://prntscr.com/axf6qb

O2: http://prntscr.com/axf73s

Now as you can see the ones in 3Ds Max are actually all the LODs from O2. So i thought okay cool it shows from which LODs they came, but the cool thing is when you follow these "naming rules" (couldn't find a official document for this, so if anyone has a link that would be great) you can already setup your LODs in 3Ds Max.

When you export your model as FBX (haven't tested other types) and import it in O2, your LODs are automatically created for you!

I am not sure what the exact rules are for this naming but it looks something like this:

"objectname_lodname"

"objectname_lodname_distance" (for LODs that require a distance)

Again i have found no official rules here and i'm not sure if this is already known by alot of guys here, but i was pretty excited when i found out so i just wanted to leave this here ;)

~ JohnDoe

• Like 1

I found out that the Memory and Hitpoints LODs are being converted to a plane in my 3Ds Max and have a "LOD__1.000" suffix..

This means that when i export these as FBX and import them in O2, they will not turn into Memory and Hitpoints LODs...

You'll need to change these in 3Ds Max to the right LOD suffix, so:

"object_NNN200_LOD__1.000" ("Glass_1_effect" in Memory LOD)

becomes

"Glass_1_effect_LODMemory" in 3Ds Max

Havent figured out how that "random" naming works with NNN.

Not sure if i'm missing some settings for this...

1. do not import all lods at the same time. The naming convention works only in 50% of the cases. Import each individual LOD by itself in a separate OB than your work OB for the entire .p3d, and copy paste it in it.

2. FBX cannot move to OB points (memory and hitpoints are simple points). Either use some simple planes and delete these on import, or try with dummy objects (i wasn't able to do it that way).

1. do not import all lods at the same time. The naming convention works only in 50% of the cases. Import each individual LOD by itself in a separate OB than your work OB for the entire .p3d, and copy paste it in it.

It worked 100% for me... But i see why it could be usefull to have it in a seperate OB

2. FBX cannot move to OB points (memory and hitpoints are simple points). Either use some simple planes and delete these on import, or try with dummy objects (i wasn't able to do it that way).

Yeah i just found out about it.. I just cut/paste all the points that do not form a face together.