rekkless

ArmA Updates Are Really Feeling Rushed And I'm Seriously Questioning Buying Apex

So you are actually expecting a game developer to full re-write huge chunks of their code for a product that they already sold to get it to 64bit? really?

We already know via official tweets that this isn't happening.

I think the 3D editor was kicked around early on, but thought to be too much work. Although it seems the work was not too much after all.

Regards the new release this year.. I'm not sure if I get it free, I bought in at the level below the top one (pre-release), so not sure. If I get it free, then I'll sightsee for a short time, if I don't get it, I won't have lost out, because I wouldn't be playing it anyway. Don't think I'll be buying it. It will be the first thing for quite a while from BI, I haven't bought for PC, I liked to support them and bought most things. Times change though.

I'm looking forward to 'Escape from Tarkov' though and of course next month NMS is out. Nice.

Arma 2OA modded, is still a pleasure to play and a completely different game to the original stock game. I'm in there many hours per week.. Too many probably, it is still my most played game (by far).

Regarding added - free - features that been on many players wishlist since OFP days is IMO great to finally have in.

Exactly. Amazing to see so many vain complaints about a game that actually get supported. I'm speechless. If the only argument is "hey, bring 64bit", then it made my day.

• Like 1

Exactly. Amazing to see so many vain complaints about a game that actually get supported. I'm speechless. If the only argument is "hey, bring 64bit", then it made my day.

32 bit programs only uses 2 gb of memory cap but really won't help this game anyway.  When tanks have crap physics and go tumbling through the air along with tons of other issues, low amount of library objects for mission creation, only one type of avatar human, etc. it needs some work. It's a complicated coded spiderweb. They tweak one area, then it can break something in another area of the game like the lifting scripting code or other areas. Hope this all gets updated.

There's another button you can use too, it's called "delete local content" as you have done nothing but whine and bitch about the game, if a game is crap and doesn't please me, whether I paid $10 or $60 for it, I remove it..simple as thatr, end of bitch and moan session. :D

That's the thing! Valve removed that option quite a while ago and I have no idea why they did something stupid like that?

/KC

Sure about it?

I gotta check again, but I think there is still the option - I think I still saw it the other day.

Sure about it?

I gotta check again, but I think there is still the option - I think I still saw it the other day.

I remember people complaining that it doesn't work.

Sure about it?

Please screenshot it if you have it, all I have on my (Windows, non-beta) Steam client in the Steam Library->Properties->Updates tab is "Always keep this game up to date", "Only update this game when I launch it", and "High Priority - Always auto-update this game before others".

• Like 1

Please screenshot it if you have it, all I have on my (Windows, non-beta) Steam client in the Steam Library->Properties->Updates tab is "Always keep this game up to date", "Only update this game when I launch it", and "High Priority - Always auto-update this game before others".

As said, I'm not sure, gotta check this out.

If I have it, I'll post screenshot.

I made a little mod myself time ago and i needed it to be reworked several times due to patches, but i think: No other game on the market has the great improvement overhaul that has ArmA 3 during time, i mean every patch you're turning your old game into a new one, with very lot of improvements, lot of cool and usefull new features, new rendering, new filters, real performance and graphical look improvements,new Gear and new animations for free, this is the only one company that once you buy their game they do continue to improve, support and add new features every month or two, instead of selling you a brand new game at full price with just few improvements, just like most of AAA companies do with their "all the same" games, this is why i'm loving BIS and ArmA 3, this is why i deeply reccomend this game to my friends, relators and collegues, this is why for sure i'll buy every DLC, expansion and their future games.

• Like 4

So can we agree then that if we don't want to buy it, we don't buy it, and if we do want to buy it, then we buy it? :)

• Like 1

So can we agree then that if we don't want to buy it, we don't buy it, and if we do want to buy it, then we buy it? :)

What an absurd concept!  :lol:

• Like 2

What an absurd concept!  :lol:

What's fun is that i want it but don't buy it ;)

• Like 1

What's fun is that i want it but don't buy it ;)

same here ;)

???

Why???

because we both bought the supporter edition back before Alpha

• Like 2

I made a little mod myself time ago and i needed it to be reworked several times due to patches, but i think: No other game on the market has the great improvement overhaul that has ArmA 3 during time, i mean every patch you're turning your old game into a new one, with very lot of improvements, lot of cool and usefull new features, new rendering, new filters, real performance and graphical look improvements,new Gear and new animations for free, this is the only one company that once you buy their game they do continue to improve, support and add new features every month or two, instead of selling you a brand new game at full price with just few improvements, just like most of AAA companies do with their "all the same" games, this is why i'm loving BIS and ArmA 3, this is why i deeply reccomend this game to my friends, relators and collegues, this is why for sure i'll buy every DLC, expansion and their future games.

That's the Joys of making addons, they work great, till a patch or update comes out, and then you sometimes have to rebuild, it's just life, it's just an evolution, for some of us it's just a hobby, for others it seems like it's their life, some decry the lack of realism, and others say it's to realistic. Some guys it seems just like the attention the seek, by being very opinionated, almost to the point where it puts you off pushing out addons, or even paying attention to them.

Some people are genuinely trying to make the game better, but others are just intent on being difficult because they're being inconvenienced, Arma 3 sold a huge amount of games, 90-95% of the people who bought and paid for it are happy with what they've got, and don't make a big deal out of issues, 5% are frustrated because there's still a few things not quite right, and 5% just love to complain and over exaggerate issues, believing in their own importance.  

Trust me, I have been in contact with the enemy in Iraq on numerous occasions, and there's not a single FPS out there that can even remotely come close to what it's like in real life. 

Try lugging 20KG body armour around you, with enough water for you and your client carrying any sort of "long" ,in 60 degree heat, whilst walking in excess of 15-20KM's a day ... no game can ever replicate that and how bolloxed you are at the end of the day!! 

Small things, for example, the RGN grenade, everyone in the game can throw that little bad boy 100M, however in real life, it's more like 20-30M IF you're lucky!! Is it worth complaining about? Not to me, but too some it would seem so.

Is the game perfect? No it isn't but it's well worth the money I paid for it, I have some outstanding addons like RHS that's worth paying for on its own in my opinion, as it enhances the contents. Like I said earlier, if the game annoys you that much as it's not what you expect it to be, simply remove it from your Hard drive and go and play a more realistic game like Tomb Raider, or Assassins Creed B) :rolleyes:.

Any game I buy and don't like, if I can't get into it, I stop playing it, or remove it and it no longer becomes frustrating when you play it.

• Like 5

So I just checked and you're right:

the only thing to do is set "update only when game is launched" and play the game with steam offline.

• Like 1

I don't really care about the quality of initial release, knowing that we are dealing with Bohemia here, players are paid beta testers (that is, we pay to test, heh heh). Old time ARMA fans should be used to this.

What most likely will hold me off from making any future purchase from Bohemia is total and utter radio silence and lack of support for the fledgling VR community. Even more so that now the Battleye has boned over the only way to play ARMA 3 in VR, the VorpX and blocked it from multiplayer.

If Bohemia could release some sort of simple way to run SteamVR... It does not even have to be that polished, (some sort "use at your own risk") just the basic head on shoulder translation and the stereoscopic rendering pipe. Leave it open for modding and the enthusiast would do the rest. Making this to be part of the ARMA 3 run times it would not be banned by Battleye and thus let us VR nuts play MP again.

But until that day i fear that many VR owners, including me, will be voting with our wallets.

I don't really care about the quality of initial release, knowing that we are dealing with Bohemia here, players are paid beta testers (that is, we pay to test, heh heh). Old time ARMA fans should be used to this.

What most likely will hold me off from making any future purchase from Bohemia is total and utter radio silence and lack of support for the fledgling VR community. Even more so that now the Battleye has boned over the only way to play ARMA 3 in VR, the VorpX and blocked it from multiplayer.

If Bohemia could release some sort of simple way to run SteamVR... It does not even have to be that polished, (some sort "use at your own risk") just the basic head on shoulder translation and the stereoscopic rendering pipe. Leave it open for modding and the enthusiast would do the rest. Making this to be part of the ARMA 3 run times it would not be banned by Battleye and thus let us VR nuts play MP again.

But until that day i fear that many VR owners, including me, will be voting with our wallets.

Chances are the silence is a "lesson learned". 

They were increasingly more vocal as the series went on, posting screenshots with Arma 1 probably  racking up the most, then Arma 2 in the videos, and in Arma 3 they were talking about features and possibilities...that sort of backfired on them so chances are to avoid repeating the same mistake they have decided to go quiet.   A bit extreme I must say but I kind of get where they are coming from.

That said, yesterdays sitrep said they will be showing more about the assets, features, and island in the next month.

Chances are the silence is a "lesson learned". 

I agree :) posts in this very thread talk about features mentioned a long time ago that are only just now coming to light, and calling it out for all kinds of imaginary BS. Being an open developer means you still need to guard your statements because some small loud group will take it as a statement of intent or a promise of content, or something that should have always been there, or some such nonsense :D

• Like 4

I am of the complete opposite.

I love all the BI-Studio products, (except for the futuristic in arma 3), but it is a true PC game completely open to modding and new features added all the time in the form of updates and mods.

I remember when i bought arma 2 on pure chance, I did not know at all what it was for a type of game, but the release trailer looked like something different from the Battlefield series and all those games.

And I was right. I remember the feeling when I was chased by some AI soldiers in the dark in the forest and they manage to flank me, I almost pooped myself of excitement and fear.

When i tried the usermade mission "Cipher" for the first time, and that it took me at least 40 tires to complete it.

The huge assets Arma series have now, all from dirty pillows to to TV-studios.

I have just started scripting some, and the community is absolutely stunning. Scripting for arma is my new weekend hobby.

A game series that aims for realism that is so deep and have such freedom.

I will pre-book all of their products and I almost want to give them extra money for all the joy I have had of their products.

At the moment i have 1214h played in Arma3, it is a good rating from someone who is very picky when it comes to games.

Just Keep Up!

:respekt:  :thanx:

• Like 1

>Aiming for realism

>not supporting ultimate realism gods of the VR community

yeah, nah.

When BI let the Battleye to bone our only means to play ARMA 3 in VR in protected servers, i lost lots of respect for BI.

I was hoping for some VR Jungle fighting on that new island and having some Vietnam war-esque scenarios, but now only way you can do it is on non Battleye protected server, and that means you must put i behind password and heavy moderation. This will just cause more and more hassle for already hassle-rich VR early adopters.

VR community is very tiny at the moment and as a software developer i would not spend moneys for such a niche community, importing a game into VR support requires a huge amount of work and a consistent financial investment, VR it is at this time just like the old 3D monitor and glasses fashion, it is pretty dead now AFAIK let's wait for a more wide spread VR consumer base which will be available if all goes well within the next 2 or 3 yrs, it's a pretty cool technology this for sure, but considering that you need at least a 300€ GPU plus a dependant hardware (not a proper hardware) priced around 700€ for OCR in Europe and almost 1000€ for HTCV here in Europe i doubt it will be out of niche market soon, and also looking at game dev companies there's the variable of how many will invest so much moneys in developing a VR game if that they can earn moneys with less efforts and less investment of time and moneys, personally i would invest personnel and moneys for a larger target of investment and i would not wasting my time and money developing a VR game while i can sell a game without have it to run on VR envivorment, This is sad but it is the truth and videogames are made with the sole purpose of buisness.

I don't know what do you mean about protected servers, i mean you should join a clan or a community, this is not CoD or Battlefield