Jump to content

GameUpdater Crashes Every Time (SOLVED)

Recommended Posts

Good day.


When I use the GameUpdater utility found in Arma 3 Tools, I consistently get the following behavior:

1) I open GameUpdater, my account is logged in and works fine.

2) I set the installation directory to a "DevBranch" directory OR my default Arma 3 install directory (doesn't matter, I've tried both).




3a) If I click "Options" then the below error appears.





3b) Alternatively, if I click "Update" then the GameUpdater screen simply closes and nothing happens. No errors and it's not running in the background at all.




No logs are generated in the "\Arma 3 Tools\GameUpdater\logs" directory.

A log is generated in the "\Arma 3 Tools\Logs" directory and the error is shown below.

2016-04-22 14:29:14,301 [INFO]: =====================================================================
2016-04-22 14:29:14,317 [INFO]: == Begin of trace ==
2016-04-22 14:29:14,317 [INFO]: Available hard drive(s):
2016-04-22 14:29:14,317 [INFO]: Fixed C:\ - isReady=YES - totalFreeSpace= 70GB
2016-04-22 14:29:14,317 [INFO]: Fixed D:\ - isReady=YES - totalFreeSpace= 182GB
2016-04-22 14:29:14,317 [INFO]: Fixed E:\ - isReady=YES - totalFreeSpace= 111GB
2016-04-22 14:29:14,317 [INFO]: Fixed F:\ - isReady=YES - totalFreeSpace= 119GB
2016-04-22 14:29:14,317 [INFO]: Fixed P:\ - isReady=YES - totalFreeSpace= 182GB
2016-04-22 14:29:14,332 [INFO]: SteamCMD version:
2016-04-22 14:29:14,332 [INFO]: development version is:
2016-04-22 14:29:14,348 [INFO]: Install directory appears to be ok
2016-04-22 14:29:14,348 [INFO]: development/kvsignatures/InstallScript
2016-04-22 14:29:14,348 [INFO]: 6ea9384716248cba314fedd5ade98c62fa58da5599ca9b192dca2ff52941ca6dd3101cd1035001d746774a8ed1b457303090a4342c7ab106d582a56df0fb3462d6be5eacc5a4c32283bdddbb7f762da884dfd824fa133a55b45bf6a54b0357ab5693e21f7f5b481789fdc15eb53d46254a8f01f50c023bba68933b9ce59d07fb
2016-04-22 14:29:14,348 [INFO]: App_info source: D:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Tools\GameUpdater\107410.data
2016-04-22 14:29:18,020 [FATAL]: == UnhandledException ==
2016-04-22 14:29:18,020 [FATAL]: Sender: gameupdater.My.MyApplication
2016-04-22 14:29:18,020 [FATAL]: Exception message: Conversion from string "" to type 'Integer' is not valid.
2016-04-22 14:29:18,020 [FATAL]: HResult: -2147467262
2016-04-22 14:29:18,020 [FATAL]: Message: Input string was not in a correct format.
2016-04-22 14:29:18,020 [FATAL]: Source: Microsoft.VisualBasic
2016-04-22 14:29:18,036 [FATAL]: StackTrace:    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToInteger(String Value)
2016-04-22 14:29:18,036 [FATAL]: TargetSite: ParseDouble
2016-04-22 14:29:18,036 [FATAL]: MethodHandle: 1467315180
2016-04-22 14:29:18,036 [FATAL]: Ms HelpLink: 

System Info

I'm running Windows 10 Home, if it matters.



Things I've tried


Verifying Arma 3 Tools cache integrity in Steam.

Switching from the stable Tools branch to the development branch.

Mounting the P/WorkDrive and running GameUpdater.

Reading the Tools and GameUpdater manuals.

Running naked through the streets and shrieking at the moon.



Please advise.

Thank you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have a fix ready. In the meantime, to fix the issue, open the Registry Editor (regedit), then navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bohemia Interactive\gameupdater" and check if you have these entries:

  • Branch // This one is probably missing
  • playSound
  • validate
  • handleSteam
  • path_d

If one or multiple entries are missing, you can add them manually and then change them from the option window of Game Updater.

"path_d"="D:\\Games\\steamapps\\common\\Arma 3 [development]"
  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Worked like a charm. Thanks Tom!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now