franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA3 by Nodunit and Franze

The "DCS" of ArmA is back!  B)

*Fire Birding intensifies

For some reason I get really low FPS using this mod.. Anyone else?

It runs extra scripts, due to nature of Arma engine it's not threaded to make use of extra CPU cores so performancie s affected.

It runs extra scripts, due to nature of Arma engine it's not threaded to make use of extra CPU cores so performancie s affected.

Lots and lots, although it uses a 4096x4096 texture which may cause issues on some GPU's.  In the next big update I intend to split the model into 2048x2048's and use better normal maps to mitigate some polygons.

Lots and lots, although it uses a 4096x4096 texture which may cause issues on some GPU's.  In the next big update I intend to split the model into 2048x2048's and use better normal maps to mitigate some polygons.

2K textures and smart use of normals can go a long way for visual fidelity!  ;)

2K textures and smart use of normals can go a long way for visual fidelity!  ;)

Oh for sure, I've been doing a lot of studying on the subject, how all the rules work and so on.   If things move in a successful direction then I'll probably post progress pictures as it goes, but this thing was my first major project in learning pretty much everything.

• Like 1

It's not just the scripts, but how the entire addon is built overall. To get the functionality we have, a lot of compromises had to be made and much of what goes on behind the scenes is unrefined.

An example: The bone count is very high, above 190 bones. When you exceed 128 bones in a model, performance suffers big time. Because we use bones for many parts in the cockpit, in addition to the external model, this eats up a lot of resources. If we weren't using bones for the cockpit area, the total bone count would be closer to 64 and it would run much better then. Unfortunately, to properly replace the MPD pages with a good mechanic is very involved as it would likely consist of using extension DLLs, an area I'm not familiar with - and not sure if it would work without some major hacking.

Didn't achieve any of FPS drops or general performance was good. (Minor lags, and cockpit shaking).

But when I was testing it with my friend, we have spotted a lot of bugs. I'll try to point them out.

1. Zeroing is not shared with pilot.When you set it as gunner, the pilot still gets first setting.
  2. FCR is in control of pilot. Gunner can switch between air and ground modes but it's only switches the display on MPD (ground - air) and FCR wiper still moves as pilot's mode setting.
  3. Locking on objects permanently. Sometimes it's locking on one vehicle or some point on map and gunner is not able to change it. But i somehow did that, unlocked the crosshair.
  4. IR and RF jammer status is not shared pilot/gunner. It works just separately, any status is not shared nor switching it on and off.
  5. Freeze in air while get hit.  The chopper is not falling.
  6. Can not see any units placed by Zeus on FCR. Gunner couldn't see any vehicles which were placed in front of heli, but the pilot was able to. 

Still best mod ever :3 

Didn't achieve any of FPS drops or general performance was good. (Minor lags, and cockpit shaking).

But when I was testing it with my friend, we have spotted a lot of bugs. I'll try to point them out.

1. Zeroing is not shared with pilot.When you set it as gunner, the pilot still gets first setting.
  2. FCR is in control of pilot. Gunner can switch between air and ground modes but it's only switches the display on MPD (ground - air) and FCR wiper still moves as pilot's mode setting.
  3. Locking on objects permanently. Sometimes it's locking on one vehicle or some point on map and gunner is not able to change it. But i somehow did that, unlocked the crosshair.
  4. IR and RF jammer status is not shared pilot/gunner. It works just separately, any status is not shared nor switching it on and off.
  5. Freeze in air while get hit.  The chopper is not falling.
  6. Can not see any units placed by Zeus on FCR. Gunner couldn't see any vehicles which were placed in front of heli, but the pilot was able to. 

Still best mod ever :3 

1 - AFAIK, there's no way for the pilot to adjust the stock weapon zeroing setting.

2 - FCR animation is linked to pilot only; for the gunner, it's just the scripting.

3 - Depending on selected sensor, if there's no targets within the acquisition limits, targets won't change.

4 - IR and RF jammer functionality is different in multiplayer, due to various reasons.

5 - There is a glitch with some damage states where parts get stuck in the air. Unknown cause.

6 - If the gunner does not have 'his' FCR turned on, he won't see any targets on the FCR.

• Like 1

I need to change the weapons, but can not find that module or box placed in the editor.

that box should be placed with the editor so you can select the weapons?.  

Thanks for coming back to work in this Helicopter :459: :cheers:

I need to change the weapons, but can not find that module or box placed in the editor.

that box should be placed with the editor so you can select the weapons?.  

Thanks for coming back to work in this Helicopter :459: :cheers:

Place an ammo truck near the helicopter or taxi the helo close to one, then scroll through the action menu to "Arming Menu". 

Place an ammo truck near the helicopter or taxi the helo close to one, then scroll through the action menu to "Arming Menu". 

ok, thank you.  

Has some bugs, eg: when the pilot leaves the helicopter you give an error message. The AFM works very badly, and I have disabled. Otherwise seems to work normally. :ok:

arma3%202016-04-25%2010-00-20-08_zpstcwy[/url]

arma3202016-04-252010-09-52-01_zpsj8auaz

ok, thank you.  

Has some bugs, eg: when the pilot leaves the helicopter you give an error message. The AFM works very badly, and I have disabled. Otherwise seems to work normally. :ok:

Could you share some detail on what is bad about the AFM?

Any chance of seeing this on Steam Workshop? 

It's a thought, there are multiple uploads that I visited but I think its coming time for a unified one place to go unless everyone else updates as well.

ok, thank you.  

arma3%202016-04-25%2010-00-20-08_zpstcwy[/url]

Are you sure you are using the up to date version? These look like the errors the older version started giving a few weeks ago.the new version seems perfect to me.

Are you sure you are using the up to date version? These look like the errors the older version started giving a few weeks ago.the new version seems perfect to me.

I'm using version 1.41, i have only activated this mod.

I'm using version 1.41, and the AFM in my opinion did not work well at all. Losing full control of the aircraft by turning on itself, and it is not possible to regain control.

Oh-I didnt see that you said AFM.I only use the standard flight model. I'll try the AFM today and see if it causes me issues. Have you any other mods running along side it when the issues occur?

the AFM in my opinion did not work well at all. Losing full control of the aircraft by turning on itself, and it is not possible to regain control.

the AFM in my opinion did not work well at all. Losing full control of the aircraft by turning on itself, and it is not possible to regain control.

Flight control inputs are way too sharp, on the cyclic, on the rudder and on the collective (especially this one). Tweaking sensitivity trough Arma will most likely cure this "sharp inputs" issues on hover and low speeds but will come problematique during Gs turns with a very less responsive aircraft. Negative speed may lead to a deadly spin with no recovery possibility. VNE, IGE and airframe resistance trough the atmosphere doesn't seem to be effective.

EDIT: Might be related to the simulation/PhysX issue, Franze talked about ?...

Flight control inputs are way too sharp, on the cyclic, on the rudder and on the collective (especially this one). Tweaking sensitivity trough Arma will most likely cure this "sharp inputs" issues on hover and low speeds but will come problematique during Gs turns with a very less responsive aircraft. Negative speed may lead to a deadly spin with no recovery possibility. VNE, IGE and airframe resistance trough the atmosphere doesn't seem to be effective.

I've marked in red is exactly what I've noticed in the helicopter flight.

Now, this behavior is normal helicopter flight?. I doubt that the AFM.

Will flares dispenser be part of future plans ?  :)

Block II late and Block III/E will have them.

ok, thank you.  

The error with the getting out is linked to ArmA3 not working the same was ArmA2. Error will be fixed in the next update.

The AFM is designed to work with a joystick at a minimum. Trying to use it with keyboard or other controllers will likely result in the issues you speak of. Some of this is due to limited documentation for AFM and some of it is trying to get other performance parameters out of the aircraft. For example, I have no idea why pressing keyboard rudder inputs disables the tail rotor, but stick doesn't.

• Like 1

The AFM is designed to work with a joystick at a minimum. Trying to use it with keyboard or other controllers will likely result in the issues you speak of. Some of this is due to limited documentation for AFM and some of it is trying to get other performance parameters out of the aircraft. For example, I have no idea why pressing keyboard rudder inputs disables the tail rotor, but stick doesn't.

Of course I'm using a joystick as a DCS veteran.  :)

Concerning bug reports :

• Hellfire 114L RF acts like SAL2 Hellfires, making'em acquiring onboard laser even though they shouldn't be able to see such mark (SIGHT = TADS ; ACQ = HMD).
  • Sometimes, the reticule of the RKT will get as big as the MSL reticule, happened few times, I have no idea how to reproduce this.
  • PFZ creation leads to a pop up error on the first draw, but kinda works - XMIT/RECV seems broken (0 target retrieved).
  • Having a APU loop sound (for interior and exterior would be really appreciated feature for the sake of immersion as setting up the aircraft properly takes a few little minutes)
  • M230 overshoot targets on a FCR/G ACQ (this is already known) and needs more spread.
  • ETE is broken.
  • Bank indication is broken on the ADI as the slip ball on the ADI and IHADSS.
  • Switching from TSD ATK to TSD NAV leads to a script error on EDEN which disappear after a while.
  • Wind force and direction indicator seems to provide false data.
  • TADS window sometimes stay in the middle of the FOR even tough the gunner (AI) scans for target on the azimut axis.
  • Aircraft doesn't blow up on crash but makes a sweet fire of joy.
  • Shooting 114L on LOBL without LOS - still manage to hit the target.
  • PNVS zoom is weak - is it accurate ?
  • 114N and 114M doesn't seem to have a crucial difference.
  • Torque appears to be set instantly (checking IHADSS value) which is not the case in real life, there's a little cooldown between the actual collective position and the torque value displayed (%).
  • The fly-to-cue appears to give false indication on the elevation axis while AFM is on.
  • Sometimes laser won't give you any *RANGE.

Questions :

1. Isn't it possible to get a lock from the TADS sensors as SIGHT ? I don't know how it works onboard the real aicraft.
  2. Is it possible to slow down the rotor rotation upon start-up ? As in real life, the rotor needs more time to spool up and stabilise.

Remarks :

- Having a AI gunner helps to bypass some bugs, such as the ability to turn on the LDRF (P-LDRF) on the first try. 

- It would be nice to have a ground stabilisation as gunner on the DTV and related sensors.

- Having a shutdown sound would be great (audible from exterior and interior, as requested with the startup and APU sounds).

Will give further feedbacks as soon as I discover new things flying this beauty.

Of course I'm using a joystick as a DCS veteran.  :)

Concerning bug reports :

• Hellfire 114L RF acts like SAL2 Hellfires, making'em acquiring onboard laser even though they shouldn't be able to see such mark (SIGHT = TADS ; ACQ = HMD).
  • Sometimes, the reticule of the RKT will get as big as the MSL reticule, happened few times, I have no idea how to reproduce this.
  • PFZ creation leads to a pop up error on the first draw, but kinda works - XMIT/RECV seems broken (0 target retrieved).
  • Having a APU loop sound (for interior and exterior would be really appreciated feature for the sake of immersion as setting up the aircraft properly takes a few little minutes)
  • M230 overshoot targets on a FCR/G ACQ (this is already known) and needs more spread.
  • ETE is broken.
  • Bank indication is broken on the ADI as the slip ball on the ADI and IHADSS.
  • Switching from TSD ATK to TSD NAV leads to a script error on EDEN which disappear after a while.
  • Wind force and direction indicator seems to provide false data.
  • TADS window sometimes stay in the middle of the FOR even tough the gunner (AI) scans for target on the azimut axis.
  • Aircraft doesn't blow up on crash but makes a sweet fire of joy.
  • Shooting 114L on LOBL without LOS - still manage to hit the target.
  • PNVS zoom is weak - is it accurate ?
  • 114N and 114M doesn't seem to have a crucial difference.
  • Torque appears to be set instantly (checking IHADSS value) which is not the case in real life, there's a little cooldown between the actual collective position and the torque value displayed (%).
  • The fly-to-cue appears to give false indication on the elevation axis while AFM is on.
  • Sometimes laser won't give you any *RANGE.

Questions :

1. Isn't it possible to get a lock from the TADS sensors as SIGHT ? I don't know how it works onboard the real aicraft.
  2. Is it possible to slow down the rotor rotation upon start-up ? As in real life, the rotor needs more time to spool up and stabilise.

Remarks :

- Having a AI gunner helps to bypass some bugs, such as the ability to turn on the LDRF (P-LDRF) on the first try. 

- It would be nice to have a ground stabilisation as gunner on the DTV and related sensors.

- Having a shutdown sound would be great (audible from exterior and interior, as requested with the startup and APU sounds).

Will give further feedbacks as soon as I discover new things flying this beauty.

- RF HELLFIRE was given ability to use/target lasers due to onboard sensors on the aircraft capable of passing laser data to the missile.

- Due to scripting demands, sometimes the reticles don't change properly on IHADSS. I am not sure what the cause or solution is.

- Will look into PFZ system and check the logs.

- APU loop sound will require additional scripting. Will be addressed much later.

- M230 spread is accurate for the aircraft. The automatic mode ranging needs to have it's range tables adjusted (or round velocity adjusted).

- ETE will likely remain broken until more pressing issues can be addressed.

- New data sources have not been selected/scripted into these parts yet.

- TSD ATK/NAV cycling has an error with the waypoint system. Will be fixed in the next update.

- Wind force and direction may have changed since A2. Need to check A3 data sources.

- FOR box scripting problems again.

- Aircraft uses a generic explosion effect currently. Will be changed in next update.

- 114L can still potentially hit in LOBL mode without LOS as it uses last known target position.

- PNVS should not have zoom at all, but some was given for gameplay reasons. Will be increased for Arrowhead equipped aircraft.

- 114N has larger blast radius than M and less direct hit power.

- With AFM, torque is set based upon data from enginesTorqueRTD command. Without it, it is directly bound to throttle since tenginesTorqueRTD only works with AFM. As such, torque represented is what the engines are putting out rather than collective value.

- Fly-to cue uses raw velocity data and may not be properly influenced by AFM.

- Laser only gives range when acquired.

1 - TADS can be a sight or an acquisition source. For gameplay reasons, it's merged with the IR/visual targeting as TADS/HMD.

2 - Possibly, I need to see if some of the AFM entries would allow this. I don't believe the base FM allows for it.

- AI gunner is technically essential for most operations; lacking a gunner or having a dead gunner will reduce combat capability. Some errors may arise from this.

- Ground stabilization for the TADS would require a special turret for the gunner which may not work properly in multiplayer.

- Should already be a shutdown sound.

I'd like to reiterate that I can make no promises regarding when or if bugs will be fixed. I do not have the free time to dedicate to polishing the aircraft in it's entirety, while at the same time upgrading key components. The current focus is upon playability by quashing obvious bugs, then adding functionality later. I am also trying to get a campaign pieced together for the aircraft.

• Like 2

The Choppper looks really good.

Is it fully ACE Compatible?