R4G_Anton

Third Person View and veteran difficulty

Basically settings for Coop on a dedicated server are screwed up, The settings selected on the server connfig file no longer have any  effect, as of the last patch. Difficulty has to be set every time you go on the server. by who ever is voted admin so it seems now. And even then its hit & miss. Why on earth did Bis change it ???  Server settings have worked fine for the last 10 years on OFP & all of the ArmA series. PLEASE Bis put it back the way it was.

And while you're at it BI change back everything else you've done in the past 15 years to help improve your game too. I hate the fact I can now see my pistol in my holster, not to mention the ability to change weapons on the move and stance adjustments.  :rolleyes: [/sarcasm]

Some people just don't like change...

It's not that people don't like change, it's that they don't like getting home, probably after a long day of work or whatever and having to come to the forums to figure out why their game is broken.

I see both sides here. I spent all night last night troubleshooting issues (wondering if I'm actually computer literate enough to even be trying to play this game :) ). I'm kind of ok with that because I know it's all going to be for the best in the end. But I also don't want to pretend that for some people, losing that precious gaming time isn't a huge bummer either.

This is what works for me:

.Arma3Profile

class DifficultyPresets
{
	class CustomDifficulty //"class Custom" as it is in the wiki documentation does not work but "class CustomDifficulty" does (and behaves as "class Custom" should)
	{
		class Options
		{
			groupIndicators=0;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=0;
			waypoints=2;
			weaponInfo=1;
			stanceIndicator=1;
			reducedDamage=0;
			staminaBar=0;
			weaponCrosshair=0;
			visionAid=0;
			thirdPersonView=1;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=1;
			deathMessages=1;
			vonID=1;
			mapContent=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=3;
	};
	class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=0.60000002;
		precisionAI=0.30000001;
	};
};

and in server.cfg

class Missions
{
	class MyMission
	{
		template = "A_Mission.Stratis";
		difficulty = "Custom";
	};
};

Evolution, that's the life! Each time one take a decision, in all domains, one make about 50% of displeased people, at his best score.

• Like 1

It's not that people don't like change, it's that they don't like getting home, probably after a long day of work or whatever and having to come to the forums to figure out why their game is broken.

I see both sides here. I spent all night last night troubleshooting issues (wondering if I'm actually computer literate enough to even be trying to play this game :) ). I'm kind of ok with that because I know it's all going to be for the best in the end. But I also don't want to pretend that for some people, losing that precious gaming time isn't a huge bummer either.

Fair enough, but the time spent by our community in fixing the issue, after discovering the situation after the patch was about 15 mins of trial and error, 5 mins of forum searching, 2 mins of file editing and then a few more minutes in restarting the server and other admin. All in all: 25 minutes to have the issue resolved. To hear some members rage monkeys on here its as if BI came into their homes in the dead of night and suffocated their first-born child...

Sarcasm aside, there is an old saying "If its not broken, don't fix it" And server settings worked perfectly up until the last patch.

And the solution that took you 25 minutes to resolve is what exactly please.

PS

Is this forum just for kissing bottoms then? I thought it was for discussing issues & problems with the game & helping each other find solutions.

Sarcasm aside, there is an old saying "If its not broken, don't fix it"

This saying is not quite applicable in this situation. Old difficulty system needed update as it was holding integration of some new features, so it is more like the room became too small and a wall was knocked out to make more space. Though I do agree this could have been handled better.

Words can not express how frustrating this is. Why oh why have BI decided to mess with this??

So if I'm reading this correct, we used to have 4 difficulty settings we could customize pretty easily for our servers - Recruit, Regular, Veteran and Mercenary (or elite I can't remember). We could by large customize those difficulties to how we wanted them.

We could make ALL difficulty setting somewhat uniform in the way they looked with disabled UI's, no cross hairs etc. then customize how hard we wanted the AI, lock or enable 3rd person view and a few extra settings to give the difficulty settings some point of difference.

Now we have the option of ONE "Custom Difficulty" that we have to edit a damn 'Server Profile' each and every time we want to change something?

we are FORCED to play regular difficulty how BI wants us to play it, we are forced to play Veteran how they want us to play it. And are given ONE 'Custom' difficulty setting.

So now when we play a casual game of "Escape from Altis" and we want 3rd person enabled (but still retain our other difficulty settings) we have to run a custom server config file, then after that mission is over and we want to play a serious custom Military operation we have to - shut the server down, find the server config file, download it off the dedicated server, edit it to disable 3rd person view, Save it, reupload it to the server, restart the server and select custom difficulty again.

That is SUCH a bad idea, now what make me madder is this is a process that has been implemented by DESIGN. This isn't a bug, it's not like the Memory leak of 1.54 or numerous sound issues of 1.56. This is a an actual difficulty overhaul that makes changing difficulty SO MUCH damn harder and more complex but is actually achieved by design. Some one has actually thought it was a good idea to implement this?? WTF BI, I mean WTF.

Now I could be wrong, I might have misunderstood something in this thread. I might have misread something, and there still might be a way to customize all the difficulty settings like before and if so I take back everything I have said.

But so far I can't figure out how to have all my difficulty settings some what uniform in terms of how they look and just have significant things make the difference. Like AI accuracy and 3rd person perspective.

I used to have this in my .ArmA3Profile and now the damn thing doesn't work.

version=1;
blood=1;
singleVoice=0;
gamma=1;
brightness=1;
class Difficulties
{
	class recruit
	{
		class Flags
		{
			Armor=0;
			FriendlyTag=0;
			EnemyTag=0;
			MineTag=1;
			HUD=1;
			HUDPerm=0;
			HUDWp=0;
			HUDWpPerm=0;
			HUDGroupInfo=0;
			StanceIndicator=1;
			AutoSpot=1;
			Map=1;
			WeaponCursor=1;
			AutoGuideAT=1;
			ClockIndicator=1;
			3rdPersonView=1;
			CameraShake=1;
			UnlimitedSaves=1;
			DeathMessages=1;
			NetStats=1;
			VonID=1;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=0;
	};
	class regular
	{
		class Flags
		{
			Armor=0;
			FriendlyTag=0;
			EnemyTag=0;
			MineTag=1;
			HUD=0;
			HUDPerm=0;
			HUDWp=0;
			HUDWpPerm=0;
			HUDGroupInfo=0;
			StanceIndicator=1;
			AutoSpot=0;
			Map=0;
			WeaponCursor=0;
			ClockIndicator=0;
			3rdPersonView=1;
			CameraShake=1;
			UnlimitedSaves=0;
			DeathMessages=0;
			NetStats=1;
			VonID=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=3;
		skillAI=0;
		precisionAI=0;
	};
	class veteran
	{
		class Flags
		{
			HUD=0;
			HUDWp=0;
			HUDWpPerm=0;
			HUDGroupInfo=0;
			StanceIndicator=1;
			AutoSpot=0;
			WeaponCursor=0;
			ClockIndicator=0;
			3rdPersonView=0;
			CameraShake=1;
			DeathMessages=0;
			NetStats=1;
			VonID=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=3;
		skillAI=0;
		precisionAI=0;
	};
	class mercenary
	{
		class Flags
		{
			HUD=0;
			AutoSpot=0;
			WeaponCursor=0;
			DeathMessages=0;
			NetStats=1;
			VonID=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=2;
	};
};
  • Like 1

SPOT ON Reckkless!

It seems to be everything on, (markers, cross hairs, etc) or everything off, including the sthud shacktack addon! We have not found a way to select a variety of different options as we previously could. If anyone can for a Dedicated server please post.

A super simple fix that would take not long to fix and have a hotfix available by Tuesday would be allow ADMINS to change the custom difficulty when logged in on a dedicated server before the mission starts and have it save each time they do.

So server admins can switch between missions quickly, easily and change the mission difficulty settings for each mission easily via the game options button on the mission select screen.

That would be a super simple, super amazing fix.

Difficulty is probably one of the hardest thing to tune and you'll never content everybody, just because you are playing with the "I" of A.I.

If I'm right, you can preset general AI skills on server or choose a level in SP.

You can modify hard-coded levels into a custom one with absolutely no visibility for the player on what the admin chose.

You have the next layer in scripts, with setSkill, which override I presume, the difficulty settings from cfgDifficultyPresets.

Not saying addons modifying some AI's behavior.

The remaining problem, with all that stuff, is that a standard player can't have an idea on what is the difficulty on server he clicks. I think the old system allowing to customize  each level was a nonsense! Just a facility to refer at some presets for lazy guys who disliked to browse all the parameters. A level is a level.

I regret the missing of Elite. For better consistency with the old scripts custom shouldn't replace this level (3) but should be added (-1 or 4).

Now, levels are levels and one custom level is just fine with all the remarks above for the servers.

Furthermore, for addon scriptwriters, there is a lack of command able to return, from server, a general level for the server, a kindof  serverSkill command from 0 to 1 issued by general "AIskill" (the same as in game setting). An array with the second important param "precision" could be a must.

Just my two cents, I'm a bit dull due to bad sleeping so please don't be mean if I'm saying something stupid/obvious/repeated... yesterday the config worked perfectly, after a restart now 3rd person doesn't work. Linux server, PERF binary, A3Wasteland Stratis mission, everything is unchanged from last restart but it behaves differently now at least for 3rd person lol, may be I understand it after some coffe and focused reading of the 2 pages.

Having similar problems with custom configuration. Trying to accomplish "veteran", but with 3rd person available to players that are used to it. Players on my server also like the scoretable, but this is not as important. I've tried all of the different suggestions that I've found in this thread and abroad, but I seem to either be stuck with "regular" or "veteran", depending on how I've configured the custom settings. Currently have custom named CustomDifficulty as suggested above, but this results in what appears to be "veteran" configuration. Stuck, but still looking for solutions. Good to know I'm not the only one having trouble. 

Edit: Cyprus' settings worked for my server. Changed scoretable to 1, positive effect. +1

Managed to get the Dedicated (Windows) server settings working as before by replacing the "server.Arma3Profile" from in the server's    Users/server with;

version=1;
viewDistance=3000;
preferredObjectViewDistance=3000;
terrainGrid=12.5;
activeKeys[]=
{
};
class Difficulties
{
    class recruit
    {
        class Flags
        {
            Armor=1;
            FriendlyTag=0;
            EnemyTag=0;
            MineTag=1;
            HUD=1;
            HUDPerm=0;
            HUDWp=1;
            HUDWpPerm=0;
            HUDGroupInfo=0;
            AutoSpot=0;
            Map=0;
            WeaponCursor=0;
            AutoGuideAT=0;
            ClockIndicator=1;
            3rdPersonView=1;
            UltraAI=0;
            CameraShake=0;
            UnlimitedSaves=0;
            DeathMessages=1;
            NetStats=1;
            VonID=1;
            ExtendetInfoType=1;
        };
        skillFriendly=0.90000004;
        skillEnemy=0.5;
        precisionFriendly=0.98000002;
        precisionEnemy=0.02;
    };
    class regular
    {
        class Flags
        {
            Armor=0;
            FriendlyTag=0;
            EnemyTag=0;
            MineTag=0;
            HUD=1;
            HUDPerm=0;
            HUDWp=1;
            HUDWpPerm=0;
            HUDGroupInfo=0;
            AutoSpot=0;
            Map=0;
            WeaponCursor=0;
            AutoGuideAT=0;
            ClockIndicator=1;
            3rdPersonView=0;
            UltraAI=0;
            CameraShake=1;
            UnlimitedSaves=0;
            DeathMessages=1;
            NetStats=1;
            VonID=1;
            ExtendetInfoType=0;
        };
        skillEnemy=0.34999999;
        precisionFriendly=0.75;
        precisionEnemy=0.02;
    };
    class veteran
    {
        class Flags
        {
            Armor=0;
            FriendlyTag=0;
            EnemyTag=0;
            MineTag=0;
            HUD=0;
            HUDWp=0;
            HUDWpPerm=0;
            HUDGroupInfo=0;
            AutoSpot=0;
            WeaponCursor=0;
            AutoGuideAT=0;
            ClockIndicator=0;
            3rdPersonView=0;
            UltraAI=0;
            CameraShake=1;
            DeathMessages=1;
            NetStats=1;
            VonID=1;
            ExtendetInfoType=0;
        };
        skillEnemy=0.44999999;
        precisionFriendly=0.75;
        precisionEnemy=0.02;
    };
    class mercenary
    {
        class Flags
        {
            HUD=0;
            AutoSpot=0;
            WeaponCursor=0;
            DeathMessages=1;
            NetStats=1;
            VonID=1;
        };
        skillEnemy=0.69999999;
        precisionFriendly=0.98000002;
        precisionEnemy=0.050000001;
    };
};
difficulty="Custom";

class DifficultyPresets
{
    class CustomDifficulty
    {
        class Options
        {
            groupIndicators=0;
            friendlyTags=0;
            enemyTags=0;
            detectedMines=0;
            commands=1;
            waypoints=1;
            weaponInfo=1;
            stanceIndicator=1;
            reducedDamage=0;
            staminaBar=true;
            weaponCrosshair=false;
            visionAid=0;
            thirdPersonView=false;
            cameraShake=1;
            scoreTable=1;
            deathMessages=1;
            vonID=1;
            mapContent=0;
            autoReport=false;
            multipleSaves=false;
        };

//aiLevelPreset is counted from 0 and can have following values: 0 (AI Level Low), 1 (AI Level Normal), 2 (AI Level High), 3 (AI Level Custom).
        //When 3 (AI Level Custom) is chosen, values of skill and precision are stored to the class CustomAILevel.
        aiLevelPreset=3;
    };
    class CustomAILevel
    {
        skillAI=0.6;
        precisionAI=0.3;
    };
};

playedKeys[]=
{
    "WOOF"
};

Edit the  class CustomDifficulty to suit;

Suggest renaming the old settings to save just in case. :)

At least, for now, it's a way to be able to select whatever mixture of settings that players want in the same way that was possible before the last patch, and not be locked into Regular or Veteran when using Custom. Lets hope Bis fix settings in the next patch.

UPDATE; since last small patch, it seems admin needs to select DIFFICULTIES/CUSTOM again with each new mission, :rolleyes: 

@ jgaz-uk

I don't thin this solve the problem, or do we mean the same ? here a litte info on how to set it forever on the dedicated server, i hate it if players can decide on which difficulty they play :ph34r:

So we have fxed it, i think,

actually the latest patch uses a new directory for the Difficulty profile, normaly it is under:
"USERNAME"/.local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles/Player/Player.Arma3Profile

but in our case the arma3 server hasnt even created it.

so we simply used an:
mkdir .local
cd .local/
mkdir share

so, after we have created it we can start the server again, it created his profile & folders.
now we can edit the dificulty setting under Debian 8, maybe all Linux Servers ?

so, i have read many posts about the problem with the custom dificulty Settings, ... i think BI should mention it next time if they change this stuff.
or maybe i'm alone with this error, i don't know ? xD.. my english is so bad ..

So, im allgemeinem,

Nach dem letzten Patch hat arma3 sein Standart Speicherverzeichniss für die Schwierigkeits einstellung geändert,
es liegt nun unter:
"USERNAME"/.local/share/Arma 3 - Other Profiles/Player/Player.Arma3Profile

in unserem fall hat Arma3 allerdings beim starten nichts dergleichen angelegt. [ er kann den .local nicht anlegen >.< ]

Also machten wir folgendes:
mkdir .local
cd .local/
mkdir share

nun können wir den Arma 3 Server wieder starten und er sollte das Profiel erstellen.
Jetzt kann man das Arma 3 Schwierigkeitslevel anpassen wie man lustig ist, auf einem Debian 8 Server hats funktioniert, vll geht es ja auf allen ?

Ich habe bereits viele Posts über dieses Problem gelesen,... ich denke BI sollte es nächstes mal wenigstens erwähnen wenn sie solche Grundlegenden Sachen ändern.
vll stehe ich auch alleine da mit diesem Fehler ? ka xD..

SO, das musste jetzt ein IT Azubi der überhaupt nichts damit zu tun hat lösen, dieser Azubi brauchte 1 1/2 Stunden um herauszufinden wo das problem liegt + das verständniss das viele client Sachen [ die wirklich nur ein Client machen sollte ] auf einem Server ausgeführt wird, why not, i have enough ram.
Achja, ich muss morgen um 0500 aufstehen, herzlichen Dank.

MfG.
Der Verärgerte IT Azubi

• Like 1

I have noticed as of lately I try changing the Custom setting for 3rd person to 1 and the 3rd person still does not seem to work on my server