Structures and Vegetation  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a real need for custom (themed) structures pack?

2. 2. Is there a real need for custom (themed) vegetation pack?

3. 3. Which should have priority

Somalian buildings pack? Soviet buildings pack? Latin American buildings pack? Just throwing some suggestions out, Crimea, Somalia and Mexico/Colombia (War on drugs) are major conflict zones. This is definitely much needed work, there's a lack of high quality building assets out there, there's only so many Afghan maps one can play through before one gets tired of it, but the assets just aren't out there for the community to create much else.        

• Like 2

I would like to see more modular blocks so we can form up some complex objects like in Jagged Alliance games. No need for fancy architecture, detailed boxy buildings that can be snapped together at doors are just fine ;)

• Like 4

Somalian buildings pack? Soviet buildings pack? Latin American buildings pack? Just throwing some suggestions out, Crimea, Somalia and Mexico/Colombia (War on drugs) are major conflict zones. This is definitely much needed work, there's a lack of high quality building assets out there, there's only so many Afghan maps one can play through before one gets tired of it, but the assets just aren't out there for the community to create much else.        

the above list was simply to get a point across, i have no set target. That said, if i ever go this road, i'll see how i would set up a system handle requests and prioritize them (very likely something similar to the way toadie does it).

I would like to see more modular blocks so we can form up some complex objects like in Jagged Alliance games. No need for fancy architecture, detailed boxy buildings that can be snapped together at doors are just fine ;)

the aim would be to have all these buildings enterable and 100% usable. But yes, modular buildings is something i thought of, especially for larger complexes like industrial etc where the 50-60m geo lod mark needs to be taken into consideration.

• Like 3

As a lurker around these forums, I've voted for buildings. But that doesn't mean new veg isn't needed. We're in dire need of new veg just as much as new structures.

I'd love to see modular buildings, something along the lines of prefabs Cryengine and Unity use for maximum variety for the ENVs. 

Voted for vegetation since it makes up the majority of a terrain, it would allow for more variation in maps and a fresh look. Just a single new tree and bush scattered across the existing terrains would make a huge difference, more so than a building imo.

I was very excited when AiATP first came out and later Poolpunk made his great themed packs but unfortunately none of them were working on vegetation or had any plans for it.

But I hope you'll end up doing both proportionately according to the vote percentages B).

• Like 1

I might be a bit biased but the one thing i've always wanted to use in ArmA for my own stuff, has always been structures. 

To be precise, structures that does not exit..Yet. 

I've done mission making in this series since early arma 1, mainly for small groups of friends and what not and one of the things that has always griped me heavily is the lack of content for making more complex stuff. 

Now, there's always been ways to get access to all buildings available in the base game and what have you in the editor, but the main issue has mostly been the lack of interiors. 

It's not really an issue these days with arma 3, but it certainly was back in the day. 

Even now, the amount of structures pretty god damn sparse. You basically have a few handfuls of enter-able buildings (all looking slightly blow to hell, not ideal) and thats about it. 

I've always loved making FOB's in titles. Started my mission editing back in Delta Force 1 with that amazing map editor and went on trough Delta Force Task Force Dagger (after blackhawk down) if I remember my titles correctly. 

Same goes for ArmA. It's just really limited. You have your basic handful of hescos and sandbags... Then it kinda stops. Anything more complex does simply not exist. With CUP Terrains you get alot of the old stuff that helps quite a bit. 

But in vanilla, there really isnt much to play around with. 

So my simple reasoning behind me getting into making all my stuff is because it's something I want in game for my kinda gameplay, which just happens to be the hardcore side of milsim. 

Like people otherwise have mentioned, it takes a shitton of time to get stuff done. And if that isn't bad enough it takes even a more time to get it into the bloody engine. 

Coming from Unreal Engine to doing models for ArmA is just like the biggest punch in the dick ever. Everything is so overly complex in the import sequence it hurts my brain heavily. 

From basic config work to more complex stuff is just so overly complex for what it is, Just to get the model in game. Let's not even get started on doing complex stuff ha ha. 

To top that off you always get better at your craft. I started out with Blender (oh the nightmares to this day) and then later on moved on to maya lt (because that was what I could afford to have legally for game dev stuff). 

So, what happends is you get better and better, and then you start having to re-do all your old stuff to get up to your new specifications. And so the cycle repeats ha ha.

One thing I get asked alot is as some have mentioned above, of needing to have quite a few structures to actually make a pack, or for it to be usable. 

Why dont you just release the stuff you have now instead of making more. Well. It's simple really. If I just release a handful of things its going to look shit, and the whole point of having alot of new things fade away when it isnt a "proper" pack so to speak.

TL;DR.

Because it doesnt exist and I want it for my use. 

If someone else down the line want it as well then that's just a added bonus really. 

I'd still plonker away at it regardless, but it always makes it easier to start up again if someone else likes your work also, you know? 

It doesnt go fast and there is only self gratification for the most part for doing it. 

All the main press goes for the hordes of new weapons and vehicles ( Don't get me wrong, I respect modelers doing that just as much as everything else) But it's already been done a milliion times(almost litteraly), so why not do something that people actually "need" and will be giving a bit more (at least immersion wise, and to some extents also gameplay wise) centered things. 

//AFDS

Hi all. i want to say that we plane to build vegetation and we are modelling some structures (French colonial military and village) for our mod (Indochina). We are a little team so our models come slowly. I would like to wait the expansion to see if we could use some plants and trees from Tanoa. The location of our mod is north of Vietnam and it's  a little bit different than south and tropical place. We have to research any variety of north Vietnam trees. We could be happy to use other modding team job to concentrate on soldiers, props and vehicles. And we will happy to share our stuff too.

Pirat3n

The mod "hell in the pacific", over arma3 I made everything about the palm trees,

Still on arma3 also tropical greenery, not completely finished, but well advanced.

some examples :

I can not end this now, because I'm too busy with the creation of the mod "face of war", but I think one day optimize this and probably make it public.

While the creation of vegetation is time consuming, but provides a great pleasure to its realization, much more, in my case, the design of a weapon.

For a long time I dream of doing a complete environment (vegetation, rocks, surprising decorative elements, etc.) in accordance with the rise of arma 3 game engine and I think that after the WW2, the time will come to realize this kind of project.

I tried the CryENGINE, which, at the time, there are about two years, allowed to make beautiful natural environments, but I see the shaders and opportunities arma3 with more and more interest and if the developers, with the arrival of tanoa, allowed us to make rivers, waterfalls, I do not ask more ... (we can dream, right ^^!);

The modding on arma3 focuses mainly on the contents of the original game, ie a war game, but I think he is "ready" to upholster another form of creation and in any case, I continue looking for what I can do with differently.

The land created by Bushlurker have always made me want to populate them with vegetation which invented from scratch.
A new world, with a pandora style vegetation, for example? :)

Wow this stuff is on par with the new Tanoa stuff. If I didnt know any better Id think those are Tanoa screenshots  :D

Oh man, I was waiting when someone would bring up this topic! I 100% agree that ArmA3 needs some vegetation &/or structures packs. If we're picking sides, I'm going with the vegetation first. I PM'd berghoff sometime last year for advice on how to create plants, but never heard back. I haven't given up hope. As you could probably guess I'm a complete newb at what it takes to create this sort of mod. I have read countless books & watched a shit ton of YouTube tutorials on plant creation. I've wanted to try & create floating & submerged water plants & driftwood as it would completely change the look & feel of countless terrains. It's frustrated me that BI has no assets for these. So I thought, bugger this, I'll attempt to do it myself! Any feedback & thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks. ☺

• Like 1

plz use the dschungle ground textures from tanoa too ! ;)

...BI has no assets for these. So I thought, bugger this, I'll attempt to do it myself! ...

that´s how BI and ARMA 3 works  :P

• Like 1

Why do many people make weapons and vehicles? because structures/vegetation just "aren't cool". They don't make noise, emit giant smokeplumes, shoot, move. That's why i do weapons/vehicles atm. Unfortunately, because vegetation/buildings and other environment props (rocks, ditches,...) are essential for good gameplay.

You can create great maps without buildings with just vegetation/environment props that are very versatile for all sorts of scenarios. You won't be able to create versatile maps without vegetation and only buildings. Unless you only ever want to play in snow/sand deserts... 

The question is what type of set of environment is not covered yet, or which assetts are not good anymore that need replacement.

Perhaps modern canals, modern buildings like that you'd see in places like Singapore, and Hong Kong or something unique like that. Would be a cool change.

High-density Urban environment is unsuitable for arma. Unless you want to have alot of giant blocks without accessable interior. A village out of high-rise-buildings looks silly. And a real city, is unlikely to be handleable by arma performance wise.

The new geometric occluders could help in urban areas and making some parts of a building accessable would be the way to go.

Agreed most of 3D Artists do make shiny weapons or vehicles, but thats the nature of things i guess.
Not a lot of ppl like to spend countless hours on assets that are just "protagonists" in a scene and not the "main actor"...

E: but not even the most famous and best actor would make a good movie without countless protagonists making the scene look and feel real.