I have an idea to help bring together the Arma community a little bit.

Inspiration for the idea
---

In the U.S.A. there used to be a TV show in the early '00s called Combat Missions.  Here's an example episode from Youtube.

There were 4 teams of people from different branches of special forces and whatnot: a SWAT team, a CIA paramilitary team, a Ranger team, a Force Recon team, etc (although the teams were not purely from a specific branch as a whole).  The premise of the show was to determine which of these representatives were the best at their jobs.

Each episode, 2 of the 4 teams were chosen to compete by completing the same mission in their own way.  Both teams were given one attempt only.  Whoever did it the fastest and with the least casualties/losses were the winners of that episode.

Each team started out with 1 000 points, and lost 5 points for every minute that passed before the mission was completed.  Each killed team member deducted 50 points.  Civilian deaths deducted 50 points.  Each optional objective added 75 points.  If the total score ever fell to zero, the mission would immediately end in failure.

The premise of the idea
---

A mission-maker creates a mission, to be spectated by 1 referee to make sure that the attempt is legit (and maybe a streamer or two, I guess) who keeps a record of team deaths, casualties, and time to complete the mission (or failure of the mission).

Any group of at most X number of people can sign up to participate and play each mission on their own time, assuming a referee can be available to host the mission server so that it's all done legitimately.  The scores can be updated after each team's attempts.

Before the mission, only the following information will be available for the given team to help plan ahead (no tricks or "bad intel" for fairness' sake):

• The necessary objective to complete the mission (and possibly an optional one for bonus points)
  • The image of the covered-map AO with only the insertion zone, objective, and extraction marked
  • The exact composition of any enemy armor and vehicles, but not soldier count (e.g. 2 HMG Ifrits, 1 Kajman)

This will reward teams that can communicate effectively and improvise well to the situations that occur as they complete the mission, while still allowing other teams to come up with an initial plan of attack before the mission begins. See: Murphy's Law

After all of the missions have been attempted by each of the teams, the team that has the overall highest score will be declared the winners and given some kind of reward.

Last comment
---
I just want to add that I'm willing to completely organize, record, and create the missions for all of this, but only if the idea picks up any steam and seems like it will hold water.

If there are any groups interested in doing this or trying out this idea, please let me know via PM or by posting about it here thanks.

• Like 6

I loved that show!

We (ODA-951) would be interested in participating.  

Lowland Tiger Meet did some mission based flight sim competitions in this same vein.  I think they did it for like 13 years. I used to play their released missions and they were the best. I've had this idea myself based on an impossible escape mission -  I'd suggest a huge prize - not sure how that'd work with bohemia. LLTM did it LAN:

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_442a.html

air_442a_001.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxmU3LiGAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6wr6yVroM

I like this idea very much and would love to see it realized. Don't have much else to say.

I appreciate the kind words. 

All I need are two groups that are willing to do it and I can take care of the rest (one already posted itt).  If the idea sticks and people want to continue doing it then more groups can get involved and we can make a thing out of it.

Over 10 years ago, back in the Operation Flashpoint days, I was the co-head of a co-op tournament called Flashpoint Combat Missions.  As you've probably already guessed we also based our tournament around the show Combat Missions. It was a big success and fun.  We ended up running a season of 8 missions.  If you like, send me a PM and I can give you some lessons learned from that experience to help you with your design of this event.

As for participation in this event, Rock's Raiders would be interested.

• Like 2